Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 04-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Approved Member

Default FM and real flight

Hi,

I'm wondering about if the dev team could implement a FM closer from reality in terms of behaviour and all the small instabilities that occur particularly when flying low as the groud disturbs the laminar flow of wind when you get closer from the ground.

Particularly, I find CoD Supermarine Spitfire being a little bit heavy and too much stable in my opinion at about 90 to 110 mph approach and touch, more heavy than it seems to be in some videos of the real one making approachs.

I wonder how much complex and realistic is the FM engine, and about the wind turbulences al low altitude, but I have the feeling that it could be even closer from reality.

Jean-François
Old 04-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf1981 View Post
Hi,

I'm wondering about if the dev team could implement a FM closer from reality in terms of behaviour and all the small instabilities that occur particularly when flying low as the groud disturbs the laminar flow of wind when you get closer from the ground.

Particularly, I find CoD Supermarine Spitfire being a little bit heavy and too much stable in my opinion at about 90 to 110 mph approach and touch, more heavy than it seems to be in some videos of the real one making approachs.

I wonder how much complex and realistic is the FM engine, and about the wind turbulences al low altitude, but I have the feeling that it could be even closer from reality.

Jean-François
I take it that you posted this helpful comment based on your experience flying real Spitfires, or your perception of "reality" is another Hollywood/home video/videogame based one?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II View Post
I take it that you posted this helpful comment based on your experience flying real Spitfires, or your perception of "reality" is another Hollywood/home video/videogame based one?
Not a valid response, just looking to get backs up I imagine. What's with the sarcasm??? Arse.

jf1981, I wonder if the feature you talk about are among those that are to be 'unocked' in the coming years as hardware is able to deal with the added. As for the Spitfire's FM, I have no basis to comment really other than it does feel remarkably stable when firing compared to a Hurricane but this could be accurate for all I know.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
What an unbelievable rude response.

Question is valid as I feel the same ( feel, not know, as I never flew a spitfire). Hope the FM gets a bit maintenance in flying high and shaking as well.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Unfortunately not, certainly never will. No, it's based on the fact that on every Spi or 109 video you see on youtube, you could note they really seem light and flying like birds, I mean rolling left and right and taken up by the wind like a light bird.

Now I can't tell how close or far the sim is from that, but the feeling is'nt quite here yet, to me.

Of course at this stage, it all needs to be polished, there is no doubt every part of the game will have improvements. That one would be welcome (if of course it is indeed needed).

BTW you will just find out many videos of real spit in modern age filmed as they were restored and flown through shows, which are amazing ones.

Last edited by jf1981; 04-24-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeye View Post
Not a valid response, just looking to get backs up I imagine. What's with the sarcasm??? Arse.

jf1981, I wonder if the feature you talk about are among those that are to be 'unocked' in the coming years as hardware is able to deal with the added. As for the Spitfire's FM, I have no basis to comment really other than it does feel remarkably stable when firing compared to a Hurricane but this could be accurate for all I know.
because u just joined and didn't even make an effort to look at topics that already been discussed.. who's the arse now?!

When will people stop joining forums and go on about alleged problems of things they don't have an understanding of and:

1) don't make an effort and see if the thing is being discussed already

2) motivate their assertion with factual data/evidence?

your posts are a waste of space, get over it.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Unfortunately not, certainly never will. No, it's based on the fact that on every Spi or 109 video you see on youtube, you could note they really seem light and flying like birds, I mean rolling left and right and taken up by the wind like a light bird.

Now I can't tell how close or far the sim is from that, but the feeling is'nt quite here yet, to me.

Of course at this stage, it all needs to be polished, there is no doubt every part of the game will have improvements. That one would be welcome (if of course it is indeed needed).

BTW you will just find out many videos of real spit in modern age filmed as they were restored and flown through shows, which are amazing ones.
I am lucky enough to fly with warbirds and vintage planes, and I can tell you that it's all down to how you act on your aeroplane controls. Another important thing to take into account is your joystick setup, have a bit of playing with it and see if you still get that "heavy" feeling.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
because u just joined and didn't even make an effort to [...]
Please get moderated. Please don't take it personnaly.

Last edited by jf1981; 04-24-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I am lucky enough to fly [...]
Hi,

Thanks. I'm gonna start lessons later in that year and we'll see.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Please get moderated. Please don't take it personnaly.
I wasn't referring to you in particular, there's a lot of people here which make silly assumptions. You motivated your concerns better and I suggested you a possible solution, my reaction is annoyed and a bit rude maybe because it keeps on happening on this forum.

Good luck with the flying lessons, it will open a new world and answer a lot of questions.