Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 07-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Querer View Post
I somehow still don't get the point, why a simple, let's say, cylinder, which is overall even invisible (no load on the GPU...) should be such a huge thing to do or should have such a huge impact on framerates. Nobody is asking for a precise collision calculation regarding trees, it is basically enough that if you hit a tree, you crash...
How do you tell if the aircraft has collided with said cylinder?
Old 07-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Approved Member

Well, how do you tell the aircraft to collide with a solid house? Come on, if all the houses would not have a texture wrapped around and LODs and smoke rising from their rooftops and more complex structure than a simple block, the impact on the framerate would be minimal. Same should be true for trees... At least my old E8400 can easily handle building amount on "high" when the building detail is on "very low". So I guess it could still handle a solid tree with actually no detail in the structure, just an invisible cylinder... Well, oviously it is not that simple, I am sure they tried something... I was just wondering, that this is maybe a russian issue, as DCS seems to be not capable of having solid trees in their engine neither, lool (just kidding...)
Old 07-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
It becomes complex due to the sheer number of trees involved, if you have a nice simple solution that wont require large amounts of process time then please post it for Luthiers attention.
As someone already said: Use a graphics primitive or two, as the "collision zone" (modelling every twig per tree would indeed be taxing to your system's resources and it wouldn't matter anyway). Since WWII planes don't move at warp speed, process only the trees/primitives in the immediate surrounding of the plane*. If (plane inside collision zone) then {activate Damage model};

* maybe a bit more to get a safety buffer for system- and/or online lag. Be aware, however that A = r² * Pi. You could further optimize the thing if you only consider trees in a "wedge" in front of the plane, with the wedge's dimensions chosen that it safely covers the plane's flight envelope, at all times (even when shot down and tumbling and such things).

Last edited by Redroach; 07-06-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redroach View Post
As someone already said: Use a graphics primitive or two, as the "collision zone" (modelling every twig per tree would indeed be taxing to your system's resources and it wouldn't matter anyway). Since WWII planes don't move at warp speed, process only the trees/primitives in the immediate surrounding of the plane*. If (plane inside collision zone) then {activate Damage model};

* maybe a bit more to get a safety buffer for system- and/or online lag. Be aware, however that A = r² * Pi
As Luthier already said, even with a single primitive it currently takes too much CPU time.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
As Luthier already said, even with a single primitive it currently takes too much CPU time.
I agree if the whole of the Channel map is covered by 'active trees'
Old 07-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Approved Member

when COD is ready everybody will say
PLEASE MAKE RISE OF FLIGHT LIKE COD
Old 07-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Querer View Post
I somehow still don't get the point, why a simple, let's say, cylinder, which is overall even invisible (no load on the GPU...) should be such a huge thing to do or should have such a huge impact on framerates. Nobody is asking for a precise collision calculation regarding trees, it is basically enough that if you hit a tree, you crash...
+1
I think its just Laziness, on there part
Old 07-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
It becomes complex due to the sheer number of trees involved, if you have a nice simple solution that wont require large amounts of process time then please post it for Luthiers attention.
Fixes have already been suggested. Would not be a problem if they had not misused/used the completely wrong system for tree generation (speed tree).
Old 07-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Tvrdi

Quote:
which is a prove the sim is not optimised well...
Old 07-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvrdi View Post
yes no comparisions, at least CLOD will now have better sounds as ROF sound designer is working now for MG team too....miuahaha
All you post mate is diatribe, utter nonsense and whines. If you have nothing to contribute shut the hell up!! Sometimes it's better to say nothing than to say something stupid and make yourself look like a complete tit!