Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:09 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfield View Post
Yeah your right..I went a little hard there. No disrepect to any vets out there. I was just a little fumed when I was told I didn't know what I was talking about.

Still though that vet might not be giving that interview if the german pilot/pilots were more experienced. It was a desperate manuever. I guess that's the thing though...you never knew... something like that might actually work since there's a 1 in 10 chance your up against a experienced combat pilot. It surely has nothing to due with that plane though.
LOL, Sorry if I got you upset butterfield, but you lumped the F4U in there when you mentioned bad low speed manuevering aircraft, and it had a stall speed of 70.5 mph ! So I thought I would pick on ya some. I didn't think you'd take a post so serious. Do you let people get under your skin that easy online ? Just kidding.
If your a Il2 vet then your alright in my book and if you played it for long then I'll assume you learned to know your aircraft stats.

DESODE
Old 08-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Approved Member

I love Sim mode but I do wish it'd let you do one thing...

Keep a target locked so you can track it more easily*. I'll certainly be getting an AV8ER because there is nothing more awkward than keeping that bloody thumb stick pressed down, trying to look around whilst also control the aircraft. In Over-G it was easy because that's all the right stick did: look around but yeh...

I generally dislike any function which forces me to press that stick button unless it's a minor function. Looking around, however, is somewhat key to survival.

Anyway, just my 2 pence worth there and I know any awkwardness I experience will be mitigated by the fact that everyone is pretty much on the same playing field with the controls.

*Surely it could be integrated without having to have the unrealistic highlighted target box around it?

Edit:

P.S

I quite like the P-51D so far. I find it totally fine to fly providing that I'm extremely careful with the controls.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goalie_94 View Post
Agread, complete no life nerds. I really don't like it, but hey, you learn a thing or two... plus i'm bored and like the game.
Sorry to break your preconceptions, but its quite possible to have a life and still have a good knowledge of aircraft or indeed any other subject (I draw the line at Trekkies though). Most nights I'm down at "The Watering Hole", which is my Uni's own Bar, with my flatmates and other friends, and if you have noticed that sometimes my posts are a bit rambling that would probably be because I'm still a bit drunk
Old 08-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinko1 View Post
Also, isn't it true that BF-109 pilots were often concerned about pushing their plane to the absolute limit in a turn because the wings were quite weak and might snap off? I'm sure I've read that in 'Fighter: The True Story of the Battle of Britain' by Len Deighton.
I don't think that was a major problem with Bf109s. Sure there were some isolated instances of wings coming off, but the 109 couldn't really pull off very high G turns because the elevator got disproportionately heavy at high speeds.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desode View Post
You got that right. Console people aren't going to look up the aircrafts stats and fly the plane according to their strengths. I do however disagree on the p-51. In arcade mode, yes everyone will fly it ,but I don't think hardly anyone will use it in full sim because no one will know how to use it.
Even Gunther Rall said the p51 was the best high energy fighter of WWII. Your being a BF-109 fan I'm sure you know who he is. I got to meet him when I was 15.

Personally I'm a FW 190 guy. I will however say that when it comes to Vertical S fighting I would take a P51-H.

Its going to be fun playing online when Sturmovik hits console. Thats for sure !
I hope some of the console players give Sim mode a chance and stick with it.
DESODE
Sure I've heard of Gunther Rall. One of the Germans top aces. Don't think I was being down on the P51, flown properly it can be absolutely lethal, and because of the way its performance envelope is so close to a Fw190Ds but it has a better sustained turn it can be a real pain in the a** for a Fw190D Pilot.

All I was saying is that it is poor at low speed dogfighting, and because of its reputation it will probably attract a lot of noobs who will use it this way. I suppose you are right though. Noobs won't be flying in Sim.

As for the P51H, it is really a contemporary of planes such as the Ta152, and so shouldn't be directly compared to the late model Bf109s and Fw190s because it was introduced too late for European service.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopdreams View Post
So when the P-51 is referred to as the "Cadillac of the Skies" it's because it was a horrible barge that couldn't turn properly?
LMAO 10/10 for that LOL!!!
Old 08-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desode View Post
Hey Doktorwzzerd, Here is some real info on the p-51 and here are the links to videos to back it all up.
I'm sorry but butterfield is not correct on all of his assumptions...

.... Desode
Hey thanks to all of you guys, theres a lot of great information in this thread! I'll check out all of the guides and keep practicing, when the MP comes on line, watch your back! Has anyone suggested organizing a forum squadron yet?