PDA

View Full Version : Flak. Any way to.....

benson
09-09-2012, 01:12 PM
.....increase its' effectiveness? I play single player with the last official patch and it seems to me AAA doesnt do much at all.

5./JG27.Farber
09-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Only by adding more... ;)

esmiol
09-10-2012, 08:24 AM
at themoment no.

Flak seem to be very stupid.

adding calculator, or any detection objet are not operative... maybe fix later... or maybe fonctionnal but not idea how to make them work.

salmo
09-10-2012, 08:29 AM
I've advocated for flak improvement. Record your vote at Il2Bugtracker HERE (http://www.il2bugtracker.com/issues/59)

Type of improvement:
Provide a means for mission builders to 'tie' flak units (rangefinders, radar, guns etc) together into an AA battery & to specify the type of flak method a group of flak units will use.

Explanation of proposals:
Historically, anti-aircraft batteries operated as a set of coordinated units. AAA batteries used rangefinder units, radar units & optical sight units to measure aircraft speed, height & direction, this information was sent to a director unit which calcualted the aircraft's future postion. The director unit then sent information to the AA guns directing them to fire at this predicted position. AA batteries used three different firing methods: continiously pointed fire, predicted concentration fire, barrage fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIYVwqHM488&feature=player_embedded

AA in the game, seem to use a kind of 'barrage fire' where they just put a number of rounds into a volume of space around the aircraft. You can see from the video above, that this is the least effective flak method, and that evasive procedures by pilots do not improve chances of avoiding flak. It would be useful to be able to tie the AA battery units together (maybe with the 'set' button, and be able to select the firing methodology (3 types) from a 'director unit'.

Benefits: Improved realism to flak operations. Encouraging pilots to adopt historically used evasive manouvers. Attackers could target specific 'critical units' in an AA battery thus reducing the battery's effectiveness.

5./JG27.Farber
09-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Yes Salmo, I totally agree. Also setting the engagement range would be nice. Surely the FLAK feature deserves its on ticket from the artillery ticket? I voted yes anyway.

benson
09-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks for all your replies. At a very simple level, it definitly seems to prove by flying an aircraft low and slow across a map sown with AAA, British guns are much more effective in the game than German, so the best you can do is position British Flak and change 'Army' to blue.

5./JG27.Farber
09-10-2012, 08:24 PM
What?

88 and 3"'er are about the same... The LAA guns - both sides have a bofors by different names but the Germans have some 20mm's too... Smaller calibre = higher rate of fire...

benson
09-10-2012, 09:24 PM
I believe what you say. All I'm saying is the way the AAA is 'modelled' in the game, it seems the programers have set the British anti-aircraft guns to be more accurate. Perhaps like so much else in this game German Flak guns modelling was never finalised.

5./JG27.Farber
09-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Maybe, I never actually tested it, technically and historically surely the 88 should be more accurate as the 3"er is a WW1 relic... Who knows.