PDA

View Full Version : Is there a realistic tracer mod?

Foofighter
06-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Hi

When flying and shooting the Spitfire the tracers look like laser blasts from an Xwing.. I cannot see from any historical footage that it is accurate as the tracers were almost never in sync on both wings to that degree from what I can see.

Is there any mods that makes this a bit more realistic looking?

Thanks,
G

Plt Off JRB Meaker
06-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Hello mate,I'm afraid not,I'm after this too,they need to be smoking their way to the target,just look at any WWII footage and you'll see what I mean.

So at the moment we're stuck with the light sabre's :rolleyes:

Osprey
06-12-2012, 10:46 AM
They aren't in sync Foo, that just depends on your loadout. Theroretically you could have it fire off patterns if you know what you're doing.

........Having said that I tried ALL tracer once and it definitely didn't fire all tracer.

Nice to see you on board COD though :) What about the rest of the TUA ??? We should get together and reminisce about our USL victory last year :D

Liz Lemon
06-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Hi

When flying and shooting the Spitfire the tracers look like laser blasts from an Xwing.. I cannot see from any historical footage that it is accurate as the tracers were almost never in sync on both wings to that degree from what I can see.

Is there any mods that makes this a bit more realistic looking?

Thanks,
G

You know, I find it sorta funny that people keep comparing the tracers in COD to Star Wars.

The tracers should look like an x-wing since all the combat in Star Wars was based off of world war 2 footage!

Unless you mean how all the tracers fire together. That can be solved by altering the load outs.

Hello mate,I'm afraid not,I'm after this too,they need to be smoking their way to the target,just look at any WWII footage and you'll see what I mean.

So at the moment we're stuck with the light sabre's :rolleyes:

And we've been over this topic a million times on this forum. The bullets don't jiggle their way to a target. That is something caused by the gun cams being mounted in the wings... violently vibrating wings.

Here are two photos of an mg42 firing tracer rounds taken from a stationary camera. Sure looks like light sabers to me.

CWMV
06-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Not quite how they look in reality.
And yes, they do appear to bounce a wee bit from the sending end.

Osprey
06-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Meaker isn't talking about a rattling camera making the tracer appear to zig zag. He's referring to the smoke trails left by tracer rounds (I am not sure which ones). They spiral because the round spins and the smoke ejection is on the outside edge of the round.

I don't know which type of bullets these were but I have seen the footage myself, BoB guncam stuff firing at He111's. It's definitely smoke, I can't see how it's vapour because it's not on every round. I think someone needs to scour youtube for some demonstration footage.

CWMV
06-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Ya I think weve all seen similar effects from german aircraft on strafing runs.
Curious about what exactly causes it.

Ze-Jamz
06-18-2012, 05:48 PM
You know, I find it sorta funny that people keep comparing the tracers in COD to Star Wars.

The tracers should look like an x-wing since all the combat in Star Wars was based off of world war 2 footage!

Unless you mean how all the tracers fire together. That can be solved by altering the load outs.

And we've been over this topic a million times on this forum. The bullets don't jiggle their way to a target. That is something caused by the gun cams being mounted in the wings... violently vibrating wings.

Here are two photos of an mg42 firing tracer rounds taken from a stationary camera. Sure looks like light sabers to me.

Tracers do not jiggle neither do they look like those pictures..

the clue in it looking like a 'light saber' as you put it is 'camera'

GutterRat13
07-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Curious about what exactly causes it.

My best logical GUESS (I don't know for sure), is that the smoke comes from the burning phosporus tip of the tracer.

As far as the loadouts in CloD, I've tried mix matching different loadouts and have never seen the tracer pattern change. Always just tracers from the 2 outboard guns and always white. Even with no tracer rounds I still get tracers!

Jaws2002
09-01-2012, 06:58 PM
My best logical GUESS (I don't know for sure), is that the smoke comes from the burning phosporus tip of the tracer.

I don't know where this came from.(Maybe some anti gun activist videos. :mrgreen:)
The tracer bullets have the pyrotechnic material loaded in the base of the bullet not in the tip, so it can be ignited by the propelant in the case.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Ammo_Cross_Sections/Tracers2.jpg

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Ammo_Cross_Sections/Tracers3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1O7go.jpg

As far as the loadouts in CloD, I've tried mix matching different loadouts and have never seen the tracer pattern change. Always just tracers from the 2 outboard guns and always white. Even with no tracer rounds I still get tracers!

You have to save the loadout in the full mission builder and only then you can use it. The quick mission builder is all messed up. You can't make loadouts in there.

And about the zig-zaging effect, it's been explained to death. it's the wing mounted camera that's shaking, not the tracers flying in zig-zag.

SlipBall
09-03-2012, 07:49 PM
I don't know where this came from.(Maybe some anti gun activist videos. :mrgreen:)
The tracer bullets have the pyrotechnic material loaded in the base of the bullet not in the tip, so it can be ignited by the propelant in the case.

You have to save the loadout in the full mission builder and only then you can use it. The quick mission builder is all messed up. You can't make loadouts in there.

And about the zig-zaging effect, it's been explained to death. it's the wing mounted camera that's shaking, not the tracers flying in zig-zag.

You can also make the load outs in the main menu/options/plane page, then save as

Klabo
11-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Smoke tracers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDOUgoblVZg
Def. missing
-=FA=-Klabo

Sokol1
11-02-2012, 02:51 PM
www .youtube. com/ watch?v=mDOUgoblVZg

If one believe in all is show in these "Cinema Journal" end assuming that Stukas use Ju-88? steering column (0:27). :)

Sokol1

BOBC
01-03-2013, 02:43 AM
Is there a video showing where CloD is at regards tracer appearance now ? I think the main problem was the beams of light were too thick. I have not seen the smoke swirls in CloD as I can't run it yet but I follow developments making it even tastier. I did wonder if the slight wiggle of tracers was camera vibration but the aircraft being filmed doesnt vibrate as such.
BOBC

bw_wolverine
01-03-2013, 01:53 PM
The current state of the tracers ala the most recent patches is at a pretty good place.

As evidenced by the fact people stopped complaining about it :P

Seriously, they're actually pretty good to my eyes anyway. Load up and give 'em a look see!

BOBC
01-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Hi, Unfortunately I am unable as said to install CloD though at least I now own it. I cant seem to find any videos showing current tracer development or even stills.

BOBC

BOBC
01-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Hi,
An important insight into tracer ...(pun !)

I am as said unable to run CloD until I get a PC to do so or mess around with my existing one at the risk of causing it to misperform.

A tracer round glows and travels along doing so all the way from the barrel until it either reaches the target or expires before doing so. It does not flash on and off during that time.

It occurred to me that our impression of tracer is from camera footage where we see streaks of thin light, wiggling a little as they travel. We must not try and make a sim mimmick camera footage but mimmick what we would see for ourselves if we were the pilot or gunner or if we were not in the aircraft doing the firing.

Lets fire a single round of tracer with three normal rounds either side of it in the belt. A tracer has its back end glowing, the stuff that glows is buried inside, so as a gunner we see a spot of light travelling away from us, and as an observer outside that aircraft watching it firing left to right, we see a spot of light travelling left to right very quickly. Now lets fire a belt with every fourth round a tracer, as a gunner we see lots of spots of light with gaps between them travelling away from us, those gaps being the spacing in the belts of the tracer and also the rate of fire. As an observer outside the aircraft we see spots of light with gaps travelling left to right, spots maybe less prominent as we are not staring at the back end of the rounds.

Lets film that single round shot we did. The ww2 camera places a frame of film in its aperture and exposes it for a fraction of a second, its in fact taking a photo onto that frame of the film, the tracer will leave its mark as it travels along on that frame, as it would with a stills camera, we get a line formed, the longer the exposure, the longer the line, the frame is then moved on and another takes its place, a fraction of a second delay between exposures, the tracer has moved on a little and again leaves a line. The faster the camera frame rate, the shorter the dashes and intervals.

We need to be seeing when flying it what a naked eye would be seeing. If we wish to capture a movie that we want to look like wartime footage from the sim we would need dashes of light.

A video here showing what I reckon would or should be seen, tracer is every fifth round http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx5aR1Knpb8&feature=player_embedded

BOBC

Liz Lemon
01-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Hi,
An important insight into tracer ...(pun !)

I am as said unable to run CloD until I get a PC to do so or mess around with my existing one at the risk of causing it to misperform.

A tracer round glows and travels along doing so all the way from the barrel until it either reaches the target or expires before doing so. It does not flash on and off during that time.

It occurred to me that our impression of tracer is from camera footage where we see streaks of thin light, wiggling a little as they travel. We must not try and make a sim mimmick camera footage but mimmick what we would see for ourselves if we were the pilot or gunner or if we were not in the aircraft doing the firing.

Lets fire a single round of tracer with three normal rounds either side of it in the belt. A tracer has its back end glowing, the stuff that glows is buried inside, so as a gunner we see a spot of light travelling away from us, and as an observer outside that aircraft watching it firing left to right, we see a spot of light travelling left to right very quickly. Now lets fire a belt with every fourth round a tracer, as a gunner we see lots of spots of light with gaps between them travelling away from us, those gaps being the spacing in the belts of the tracer and also the rate of fire. As an observer outside the aircraft we see spots of light with gaps travelling left to right, spots maybe less prominent as we are not staring at the back end of the rounds.

Lets film that single round shot we did. The ww2 camera places a frame of film in its aperture and exposes it for a fraction of a second, its in fact taking a photo onto that frame of the film, the tracer will leave its mark as it travels along on that frame, as it would with a stills camera, we get a line formed, the longer the exposure, the longer the line, the frame is then moved on and another takes its place, a fraction of a second delay between exposures, the tracer has moved on a little and again leaves a line. The faster the camera frame rate, the shorter the dashes and intervals.

We need to be seeing when flying it what a naked eye would be seeing. If we wish to capture a movie that we want to look like wartime footage from the sim we would need dashes of light.

BOBC

Mimicking what the human eye sees sounds all well and good until you realize that the displays we have, be it an lcd or crt monitor, can't come close to displaying what the human eye sees.

Having a tail on the tracer isn't what you'd see with the old eyeball mk1, but given that you'll be playing the game at around 30-60fps then you are going to have to have that tracer effect. Otherwise it'd just look like a dot jumping across the screen with each frame.

Once everyone has 120hz, or better yet 250hz screen and PCs powerful enough to play CLOD at those framerates, then having a tracer closer to what you see with your eyes makes sense.

BOBC
01-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Hi,
I didnt know it was not possible to have a dot of light travel across the screen and look like a dot, that it has to instead be represented by a dashed line of light.
I dont know enough about PC's and Hz to be able to afford some solution to this.

I guess we go with camera view then, is there not a way though to minimise the length of the dashes we see or are they at minimum already ?

BOBC

Sokol1
01-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Hi,

A video here showing what I reckon would or should be seen, tracer is every fifth round http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx5aR1Knpb8&feature=player_embedded

BOBC

What us see in CLoD actually is not too different from this video - if you see plane fire from 3rd person, like in video.

Sokol1

BOBC
01-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Hi Sokol1,
That sounds promising, any idea where there is a video of the sim doing this ?

If not a video, then a still image ?

Video best :-)

BOBC