Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Mods, discussions, links, etc.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Approved Member

Default Is there a realistic tracer mod?

Hi

When flying and shooting the Spitfire the tracers look like laser blasts from an Xwing.. I cannot see from any historical footage that it is accurate as the tracers were almost never in sync on both wings to that degree from what I can see.

Is there any mods that makes this a bit more realistic looking?

Thanks,
G
Old 06-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Approved Member

Hello mate,I'm afraid not,I'm after this too,they need to be smoking their way to the target,just look at any WWII footage and you'll see what I mean.

So at the moment we're stuck with the light sabre's

Alienware Aurora|Win 7 64-bit Home Premium|IC i7-920 Processor (Quad-Core)|14GB DDR3 RAM|1 TB SATA 7200rpm Hard Drive|GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE 3 X fan|Thrustmaster Warthog|Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals,throttle quadrant and Cessna trim wheel|TrackIR4|Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Approved Member

They aren't in sync Foo, that just depends on your loadout. Theroretically you could have it fire off patterns if you know what you're doing.

........Having said that I tried ALL tracer once and it definitely didn't fire all tracer.

Nice to see you on board COD though What about the rest of the TUA ??? We should get together and reminisce about our USL victory last year
Old 06-17-2012, 08:13 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofighter View Post
Hi

When flying and shooting the Spitfire the tracers look like laser blasts from an Xwing.. I cannot see from any historical footage that it is accurate as the tracers were almost never in sync on both wings to that degree from what I can see.

Is there any mods that makes this a bit more realistic looking?

Thanks,
G
You know, I find it sorta funny that people keep comparing the tracers in COD to Star Wars.

The tracers should look like an x-wing since all the combat in Star Wars was based off of world war 2 footage!

Unless you mean how all the tracers fire together. That can be solved by altering the load outs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plt Off JRB Meaker View Post
Hello mate,I'm afraid not,I'm after this too,they need to be smoking their way to the target,just look at any WWII footage and you'll see what I mean.

So at the moment we're stuck with the light sabre's
And we've been over this topic a million times on this forum. The bullets don't jiggle their way to a target. That is something caused by the gun cams being mounted in the wings... violently vibrating wings.

Here are two photos of an mg42 firing tracer rounds taken from a stationary camera. Sure looks like light sabers to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2012-06-17-03h03m29s99.jpg (6.4 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2012-06-17-03h03m07s146.jpg (5.9 KB, 194 views)
Old 06-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Approved Member

Not quite how they look in reality.
And yes, they do appear to bounce a wee bit from the sending end.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Approved Member

Meaker isn't talking about a rattling camera making the tracer appear to zig zag. He's referring to the smoke trails left by tracer rounds (I am not sure which ones). They spiral because the round spins and the smoke ejection is on the outside edge of the round.

I don't know which type of bullets these were but I have seen the footage myself, BoB guncam stuff firing at He111's. It's definitely smoke, I can't see how it's vapour because it's not on every round. I think someone needs to scour youtube for some demonstration footage.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Approved Member

Ya I think weve all seen similar effects from german aircraft on strafing runs.
Curious about what exactly causes it.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Lemon View Post
You know, I find it sorta funny that people keep comparing the tracers in COD to Star Wars.

The tracers should look like an x-wing since all the combat in Star Wars was based off of world war 2 footage!

Unless you mean how all the tracers fire together. That can be solved by altering the load outs.

And we've been over this topic a million times on this forum. The bullets don't jiggle their way to a target. That is something caused by the gun cams being mounted in the wings... violently vibrating wings.

Here are two photos of an mg42 firing tracer rounds taken from a stationary camera. Sure looks like light sabers to me.
Tracers do not jiggle neither do they look like those pictures..

the clue in it looking like a 'light saber' as you put it is 'camera'
Old 07-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Curious about what exactly causes it.
My best logical GUESS (I don't know for sure), is that the smoke comes from the burning phosporus tip of the tracer.

As far as the loadouts in CloD, I've tried mix matching different loadouts and have never seen the tracer pattern change. Always just tracers from the 2 outboard guns and always white. Even with no tracer rounds I still get tracers!
Old 09-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutterRat13 View Post
My best logical GUESS (I don't know for sure), is that the smoke comes from the burning phosporus tip of the tracer.
I don't know where this came from.(Maybe some anti gun activist videos. )
The tracer bullets have the pyrotechnic material loaded in the base of the bullet not in the tip, so it can be ignited by the propelant in the case.

Quote:
As far as the loadouts in CloD, I've tried mix matching different loadouts and have never seen the tracer pattern change. Always just tracers from the 2 outboard guns and always white. Even with no tracer rounds I still get tracers!
You have to save the loadout in the full mission builder and only then you can use it. The quick mission builder is all messed up. You can't make loadouts in there.

And about the zig-zaging effect, it's been explained to death. it's the wing mounted camera that's shaking, not the tracers flying in zig-zag.
EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked+ACX cooler.
8GB G.Skill ripjaws DDR3-1600
Crucial M4 128GB SSD+Crucial M4 256GB SSD
Seagate 750GB HDD
CH Fighterstick+CH Pro pedals+Saitek X45
Win7 64bit

Last edited by Jaws2002; 09-01-2012 at 10:00 PM.