PDA

View Full Version : adding new skins

macphail
03-09-2012, 10:59 AM
i have spent hours...HOURS...trying to add a bf-109e skin to my game, and have absolutely no joy whatsoever. the stock skin is super bland and reminds me of a poorly finished model, without even any weathering.

i have read all the website, including this one, and watched youtube vids, and still i can not figure this out. judging from he activity on this forum, it must be possible, so i have to conclude that i am some sort of idiot.

there are way too many pull down menus to choose from. i even thought i would be satisfied to get the game to weather the planes, but it still looks the same.

what the hell am i doing wrong?????:confused:

U505
03-09-2012, 12:02 PM
you must place your skins at
C:\Users\your name\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\PaintSchemes\Skins\folder of your plane
In the game, in the option panel (of the plane you have added the skin), your skin will appear.

macphail
03-09-2012, 12:24 PM
you must place your skins at
C:\Users\your name\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\PaintSchemes\Skins\folder of your plane
In the game, in the option panel (of the plane you have added the skin), your skin will appear.

that's exactly what i did, but there is an enormous mess of pull down menus, and i have to know exactly what squadron, and a hundred other parameters i have no idea about?

it's not as easy as just skinning up the bf-109e or whatever...i could never get the new skin to appear as an option. only the stock skin. i could not even add the weathering. i tried to add weather and wear detail for all planes, but nothing even showed up.

U505
03-09-2012, 12:59 PM
I only fly the Bf 109 and I did not suspect it was so difficult for the allies side.I think the number on the tail of the plane can only be added when you make a skin.On the option panel you can only a default tail number.
I hope i help you.

macphail
03-09-2012, 01:01 PM
not even remotely.

U505
03-09-2012, 01:05 PM
sorry you are not my neigbour it were easier to help you

JG26_EZ
03-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Macphail..

What U505 has told you is correct, regarding the location to drop a new skin.
Make sure you're not dumping the skin into your steam's il2 folder.. It must be the one in "My Documents".

Perhaps if your vid settings aren't maxed, you won't be able to use the "ingame weathering"? The weathering slider works for me, but I've only tried it with the Bf109. However, the colour selection and the serial number does not work/appear in game for me.

macphail
03-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Macphail..

Make sure you're not dumping the skin into your steam's il2 folder.. It must be the one in "My Documents".

Perhaps if your vid settings aren't maxed, you won't be able to use the "ingame weathering"? The weathering slider works for me, but I've only tried it with the Bf109. However, the colour selection and the serial number does not work/appear in game for me.

yes, i put it in the right folder. that part is easy. was i not clear about the problem? its all the bloody drop down menus in game. hierarchy, regiment, squadron, callsign, etc, etc. etc....

this has got to be easier! it seems all you fellows dont have such a hard time. i spent 7 f-ing hours trying to get this to work yest3erday. im quite pissed.

macphail
03-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Macphail..

wait, what???? my documents??? that's on c:. my game is installed on another drive. Q: to be exact. i was putting the files in the installed directory....on Q:

i'm quite certain i have all the video settings maxed out. brand new vid card does not seem to break a sweat playing this game. i just got a gtx560 with 1gb. works great. i'll have another go at this when i get back from work. thanks for all the input guys.

edit. i can now choose the added skin, but it does not save the changes, it does not show up in game, and the weathering also does not show up. very frustrating. i can move the sliders up, and see the exhaust streaks, paint chipping etc, but then i go to play, and its the same un-weathered stock paint scheme. i still dont quite get it. all video setting appear to be maxed out, but i see no change. when i go back to look at the settings it has all reverted to original settings. arg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JG26_EZ
03-10-2012, 01:20 AM
Maybe it's just another ( of many) bugs that still exist. You said your game ran good on your system.. You're one of the lucky ones... With mine, I have different issues including the dreaded screen freeze or ctd.

You're most likely just going to have to bite your tongue until this, (or) / next patch fixes yours/my/ everyone else's issues.

U505
03-10-2012, 06:18 AM
wait, what???? my documents??? that's on c:. my game is installed on another drive. Q: to be exact. i was putting the files in the installed directory....on Q:

I gave you at least a part of the solution.You have only to read with attention.;);)

macphail
03-10-2012, 08:57 AM
ya, you did. my bad. sorry dude.

checkmysix
03-10-2012, 10:21 AM
O.K Guys
Try putting Skins in BOTH the Game Root Directory and 1C SoftClub.

ie
C:\Users\your name\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\PaintSchemes\Skins\

AND

C:\Programes Files\Steam\Steam Apps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\PaintSchemes\Skins\

Also make sure you are saving as .JPG @ 2048x2048 and Flatten\ Merge ALL
Layers with Quality set to 100%.
This works for Me.
Cheers
Keith;)

macphail
03-10-2012, 11:36 PM
i have been playing all morning, and everything seems just fine. full weather effects, just as it should be. i didnt do anything, just seems to work now. maybe im retarded or something.

Cpt_Farrel
03-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Could it be that you did your initial trials in the options menu before selecting and starting a mission? I think that's only for multiplayer missions. You need to do the selection in the same looking menu that comes after you've selected which mission to fly, it appears after the mission has loaded.

you've obviously figured it out now but finding the reason could be helpful so that you don't get stuck on it again in the future....

Peaveywolf
03-11-2012, 11:40 AM
not even remotely.

I think you need to learn some manners. People who are trying to help could do without what can be conceived as sharp replies. This is another thread I have seen from you where you have the same attitude.

Attila
03-11-2012, 11:43 AM
I think you need to learn some manners. People who are trying to help could do without what can be conceived as sharp replies. This is another thread I have seen from you where you have the same attitude.

+1

macphail
03-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Could it be that you did your initial trials in the options menu before selecting and starting a mission? I think that's only for multiplayer missions. You need to do the selection in the same looking menu that comes after you've selected which mission to fly, it appears after the mission has loaded.

you've obviously figured it out now but finding the reason could be helpful so that you don't get stuck on it again in the future....

thanks, you're right, but i still don't really know why. i have not tried multiplayer yet, until i can fly straight. i'm getting there though. i feel i'm a good pilot, but this is quite different from the old il2.

macphail
03-11-2012, 02:02 PM

i already said he was right, and apologized, so go....you know...pound sand.

Peaveywolf
03-11-2012, 03:40 PM
i dont really care what you think. i'm a sociopath. your insult is lost on me. i would be much ruder, but i dont want to be banned. you understand me?

edit. plus, i already said he was right, and apologized, so go....you know...pound sand.

Heh, I wasn't insulting you, but I think you are right in what you are ;) But the really hard thing for you would probably be to think before you type in the first place, then you wouldn't have to apologize ;) Just try being happy and thankful in the first place.

macphail
03-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Heh, I wasn't insulting you, but I think you are right in what you are ;) But the really hard thing for you would probably be to think before you type in the first place, then you wouldn't have to apologize ;) Just try being happy and thankful in the first place.

i was frustrated as i had been at it for seven hours. ok?

checkmysix
03-17-2012, 03:43 AM
Hi Macphail
O.K the game is by default put into Steam/SteamApps/common in the Programes
folder in C:
And the 1cSoftClub in your Documents Folder also in C:
So no Probs.
BUT you have your game in a Seperate Drive Q: and 1cSoftClub in your Documents folder in C: which is where the problem lies.
So all you need to do is Copy your 1cSoftClub folder go to your Q: Drive and create a New folder called for example IL2 CLOD Now paste 1cSoftClub folder into IL2 CLOD then Copy your il2 sturmovik cliffs of dover folder in to it.
then add your skin into the corresponding PaintSchemes /Skins folder of BOTH.
Should look like this:
Q:/IL2 CLOD/
1cSoftClub/PaintSchemes/Skins/109-E4/......
il2 sturmovik cliffs of dover /PaintSchemes/Skins/109-E4/......
Now create a shortcut for your Launcher on your desktop for this location.

Remember that you MUST also retain existing folders in C: as the game needs Steam to Run
I also run Game from a seperate External HDD and these settings work fine .
Hope this Helps
Regards
Keith;)