PDA

View Full Version : My 110 Gunner

Richie
12-30-2011, 06:51 AM
Hi everyone.

I put a thread up before on this subject but I wasn't doing something that I should have been doing. Putting Henry in firing position with the F key but he still doesn't seem to shooting at the enemy. Does Henry need a belt of Schnoppes before we take off or a replacement!

I named him after the sonar operator in Das Boot.

ATAG_Keller
01-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Don't enter the gunner position at any time during your flight, once you do it will cease to be AI controlled.

Allons!
01-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Don't enter the gunner position at any time during your flight, once you do it will cease to be AI controlled.

OOOps, sure ? I use it all the time controlling my flaps at starting, so no wonder "Heinrich" doesnt react as supposed to....

JG53Frankyboy
01-10-2012, 09:42 AM
thats my observation too:dont enter the gunner positions, otherwise the AI will not shoot.
also the 'idea' that you cant shoot when you moving the gun, well.........
and some guns have to be tweaked because of a reversed mousereaction.

i call the gunnerhandling "WIP".......

Bewolf
01-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Funny, in my expirience the gunner hardly ever shoots anyways, gunner position taken or not

Sven
01-10-2012, 01:03 PM
If I were to be a BF110 gunner in WW2, I would shoot all my ammo in the general direction of the incoming enemy, in a hope to either scare him off or get a lucky hit. In the game however, the gunner thinks he's immortal and even when I, the pilot, can see a bandit right on my six, my rear gunner should see him very clearly and shoot, even when the target is going too fast to track.

Why save ammo? There's enough ammo to hold out for a good while.

III/JG53_Don
01-10-2012, 01:41 PM
I just dont get it why the gunner AI switches off if I switch to its position.
Its totally nonsense...
Anyway despite all that I think its cool that the AI reports enemy contacts and its position. Combined with the possible features of reporting some flight data like your alt/speed etc its gonna be quite interesting to fly :)

ATAG_MajorBorris
01-10-2012, 04:12 PM
I have always loved manning the gunners and flying in reverse if you may. Its much more gratifying when you see the hits for yourself. I do wish for him to still do the work when I switch back to the pilot though.

robtek
01-10-2012, 09:38 PM
OOOps, sure ? I use it all the time controlling my flaps at starting, so no wonder "Heinrich" doesnt react as supposed to....

It might be better to control your flap-position with the "Landeklappen" indicator on the left cockpit wall, right behind the throttle handles.

speculum jockey
01-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Has this issue with the AI being turned off and left off when jumping to the gunner position been addressed in one of the bug threads? That sounds like it should be a quick fix. Would be nice to get some feedback from the devs once and a while so we know what to keep reminding them about.

speculum jockey
01-11-2012, 02:29 AM
Pathetic.

It's like everyone involved in this sim has been making the 100% wrong decisions from day one. The only right thing they did was get rid of Oleg. . . oh I mean he moved on. Riiiiight.

Cliffs of Dover should be the new textbook definition of "botched development process" in the gaming world.

TomcatViP
01-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Has this issue with the AI being turned off and left off when jumping to the gunner position been addressed in one of the bug threads? That sounds like it should be a quick fix. Would be nice to get some feedback from the devs once and a while so we know what to keep reminding them about.

it's not a bug. It's a feature to improve realism. Moreover it give a true role to whom want to be a rear gunner. Try to pair with someone. I think I hve seen such duo on the ATAG server.

You'll get used pretty soon to fly with no rear eyes although a better AI for teh gunner would be great.

Frankly I like flying the 110 and think the "locked" gunner position is great thing to whom want to fly in a realistic way (anyway I am the kind to get dizzy flying in reverse ;) )

III/JG53_Don
01-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Dou you reall think this is a feature?
I mean there is a possible realism setting for this not been able to switch seats.
Thats should do it for those who want it your way with full realism and no possibility to switch. For the others who dont trust the AI gunner totally, there should be a AI control on/off switch

Blackdog_kt
01-28-2012, 06:51 PM
I tried it in the Blenheim on ATAG and i think i can make the AI take control of the turret again. I mean, i switched back and forth between the turret and cockpit and it was tracking a 109 that was shooting me up, pointing to different directions each time. What's more, the second time i entered the turret it didn't seem to turn off the AI control because i had explicitly given the AI control of the turret.

There's a command for giving control of the plane to the AI in dual pilot aircraft (like the Tiger Moth and the Br.20), check your keybinding options. I think mine is mapped to ctrl+C by default (there's another ctrl+C binding in view options for switching between positions, change that to something else to avoid confusion).

The way it seems to works is this:

1) Crew position is AI controlled until player switches to that position, then AI control switches off.

2) The player can move to another position, but he has to explicitly give control back to the AI for each position he "visited".

3) Once AI is given control of a turret, it seems that "auto-disable AI when switching to turret" is inactive. In other words, once you explicitly give control of a turret to the AI you'll have to explicitly take back this control if you want to shoot the turret yourself, by using the same key command.

So, let's say i'm flying in the middle of the formation and i don't want my gunner shooting to avoid hitting friendly bombers (like we used to do in IL2 when disabling our waist gunners in bomber ops): just switch to gunner position (which will disable the AI control) and back to cockpit.

On the other hand, let's say that i just want to check my six from the turret position, but i also want the gunner to keep shooting when i go back to the cockpit: switch to gunner position, press the "give control to AI" keys and THEN switch back to cockpit.

ATAG_MajorBorris
01-31-2012, 10:38 AM
In the Ju88, the gunners still fire after I have been in there position, I use Next Position to cycle through crew members. I wonder if it works in other planes.

Tavingon
01-31-2012, 07:12 PM
I really think the gunners aren't good enough, they don't seem to shoot enough!