PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones

JG52Krupi
08-16-2011, 11:08 PM
I was recommended to watch this series by a friend and have just finished watching the first season. Fantastic stuff it really blew me away, I have already ordered the books :D highly recommend... but be aware lots of boobies and lots of violence so if you don't like that kind of thing dont blame me :-P !!

Hopefully the books are good, I usually prefer books to films anyway :mrgreen: but I doubt the will beat the awesome sci-fi space opera that is "Nights Dawn Trilogy".

furbs
08-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Ive read the first one Krupi and thought it was great!

JG52Krupi
08-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Ive read the first one Krupi and thought it was great!

Sweet that's good to hear, it sounds like a more "adult" type of Lord of The Rings... would you say that sums it up?

Skoshi Tiger
08-17-2011, 01:16 AM
I'm reading the first book at the moment, I ordered them after I watched the first episode of the series.

It's quiet a good read and the makers of the series have done a very good job at following the plot in the books (so far). You won't have too many surprises reading the book. I think that the series captured the characters in books very well. Hopefully I be able to read the second book before it is released as a series

Cheers!

ATAG_Dutch
08-17-2011, 01:32 AM
highly recommend... but be aware lots of boobies and lots of violence so if you don't like that kind of thing dont blame me :-P !!

I just got back to reality after the Bloodstock Festival. Deary me, what a fine weekend. ;)

Anvilfolk
08-17-2011, 02:16 AM
I've been a fan of the series for quite a few years now. Definitely my favourite. The TV series was pretty damned good too, but I think they try a bit too hard in some places. Didn't have to show quite as many boobs and all that.

I'd say it's in the same scale as Tolkien (although not as deep - no entire languages and history of the world and all that), but much more nitty gritty and realistic. Almost like you could see it happen during Europe's feudal times. It does get more and more fantastic (as in, fantasy) as the books wear on - I wasn't too happy with that, but your mileage may vary.

I haven't picked up the last book which came out a month or so ago, but I fear that George R. R. Martin will be very hard pressed to finish the series. It might get the Wheel of Time symptom where the more you write, the less happens... but I hope not!

We'll see :)

r0bc
08-18-2011, 12:56 AM
I just recently started watching this the problem is now I need to find all the past episodes to catch up. Awesome show ... tempted to order Blu Ray box set.

Bewolf
08-18-2011, 11:30 AM
I've been reading the books for the last 5 years and got hooked ever since. The series is surprisingly good in following these books and captures a lot of the atmosphere quite right. Srsly looking forward to the next season.

However, to all those that found a liking in the series, read the books first! There is a huge amount of information and content that never found it's way into the TV series, but what ultimately makes the Saga what it is.

JG52Krupi
08-18-2011, 11:43 AM
I've been reading the books for the last 5 years and got hooked ever since. The series is surprisingly good in following these books and captures a lot of the atmosphere quite right. Srsly looking forward to the next season.

However, to all those that found a liking in the series, read the books first! There is a huge amount of information and content that never found it's way into the TV series, but what ultimately makes the Saga what it is.

Yeah agreed films and tv shows cannot capture everything from a book and in most cases they don't even seem to try it's good to hear that this doesn't seem to be the case with this series though :D

skouras
08-19-2011, 04:23 PM
i just saw the first season
GREAT GREAT GREAT :-D

CharveL
08-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Due to the popular success of the first season they are upping the budget significantly for season 2.

Let's hope they don't start getting lost in all the fantasy trappings that ruin just about every other fictional series. What made the first season good was they didn't try to overwhelm us with magic and physics-defying stunts. As it is fiction I can forgive the whole dragon/fire thing but I almost get the impression these whitewalkers have teleportation abilities so hopefully the series doesn't get dragged down the road of nerdy dialogue and cartoon fight scenes.

Hood
08-19-2011, 04:51 PM
I doubt the will beat the awesome sci-fi space opera that is "Nights Dawn Trilogy".

Awesome series. But that's nowhere near as good as the Malazan Empire series by Steven Erikson and the companion books by Ian Esselmont.

adonys
08-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Guys, do yourself a favor and read the books. While the HBO show was good, it is nowhere near the books, which are astouding and I think there are no fantasy books surclassing them, at least until now.

r0bc
08-22-2011, 12:14 AM
No time to actually read so I got the audio books yesterday, start listening when I go back to work