PDA

View Full Version : Rule suggestions please

nearmiss
08-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Share your ideas for rules on this off topics forum. All suggestions will be given careful consideration.

Viking
08-03-2011, 07:44 PM
How can you set rules to a “off topic” forum? I like or I like it not!
I was there when they closed the Pilots Lounge in UBI! I was there when Oleg left the Oleg’s Ready Room in anger!
They didn’t care for any rules, all that matter was the nationality and bias of the mods!
Why should it be any different today? There is no way you can keep an EU audience happy with some US mods and vice versa. Rules or no rules!
Veritas

FlyingShark
08-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Maybe a bit logical but for some it may still be nesessarry to remind them that in an off topic section, people have the right to talk about what they want (except for politics, religion,...maybe). And so let's make it a rule NOT to critisise people because they talk about something that doesn't interest you. I remember on another forum I once talked about something completely different than airplanes or the sim and some started commenting "what has that got to do with aircraft?". Well, if some can't cope with people talking about something else than the som or aircraft, let them just stay out of the off-topic section.

~S~

nearmiss
08-03-2011, 08:05 PM
How can you set rules to a “off topic” forum? I like or I like it not!
I was there when they closed the Pilots Lounge in UBI! I was there when Oleg left the Oleg’s Ready Room in anger!
They didn’t care for any rules, all that matter was the nationality and bias of the mods!
Why should it be any different today? There is no way you can keep an EU audience happy with some US mods and vice versa. Rules or no rules!
Veritas

You really don't get it do you.

This forums runs 24/7 how are you going to get someone in Sweden or Russia to be on the forums when there is a 10 - 12 hour time difference from USA?

Yes we can have a refined set of rules for an off topic forums. We already have some good ideas, but thought members might want to share.

That's the sum of it, so like it or no we have a Pilot's Lounge for off topic discussion.

nearmiss
08-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Maybe a bit logical but for some it may still be nesessarry to remind them that in an off topic section, people have the right to talk about what they want (except for politics, religion,...maybe). And so let's make it a rule NOT to critisise people because they talk about something that doesn't interest you. I remember on another forum I once talked about something completely different than airplanes or the sim and some started commenting "what has that got to do with aircraft?". Well, if some can't cope with people talking about something else than the som or aircraft, let them just stay out of the off-topic section.

~S~

Religion and Politics discussions - not good and always lead to some very ugly discussion.

SlipBall
08-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Religion and Politics discussions - not good and always lead to some very ugly discussion.

So, its the off topic pilots lounge:confused:...Rules..only drugs, sex, and bad language, only because of the young folks here.

JG52Uther
08-03-2011, 08:58 PM
So, its the off topic pilots lounge:confused:...Rules..only drugs, sex, and bad language, only because of the young folks here.

Exactly.

JG52Uther
08-03-2011, 09:09 PM
OK no religion. Politics from around the world can be quite interesting though, as long as people are willing and open enough to other peoples point of view.
The ubi O/T forum was quite interesting when politics was allowed, although the Americans had to be reminded sometimes that theirs was not necessarily the most important.
Of course having American mods didn't help. ;)
Now its banned,the place is dead.

SlipBall
08-03-2011, 09:25 PM
+1 political debate, politics is interesting.:grin:

nearmiss
08-03-2011, 09:50 PM
+1 political debate, politics is interesting.:grin:

Politics can be horror.

The issue as I recall with politics was the people from different countries did not understand other countrys' politics. The level of tolerance became testy at best.

It would probably work, if people from different countries respected and didn't discuss politics with people from other countries.

We all know how media slants news reports from other countries. The PIIGS thing has been problem all over the web... Portugal, Italy,Ireland,Greece and Spain from the EU. People from other countries should probably stay out of those discussions (Canada, Iceland, Russia, Turkey,etc.)

SlipBall
08-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Then maybe try it for awhile, you don't want to be limited to Raaaid threads on nano propulsion hyper light interstellar engines. :grin:

nearmiss
08-03-2011, 10:13 PM
It might be worth a try, if it was limited to discussion of each members own country's politics with people from their own country.

Those discussions could get pretty heated, but at least the poster isn't getting flak from an outsider that really doesn't understand the politics or situations.

SlipBall
08-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Yes, that makes sense :grin:

smink1701
08-04-2011, 01:29 AM
No pick of girlfriends, wife, etc. No pinups, ***, etc. There are MILLIONS of places for that and IMHO we don't need one more.;)

arthursmedley
08-04-2011, 02:04 AM
It might be worth a try, if it was limited to discussion of each members own country's politics with people from their own country.

Those discussions could get pretty heated, but at least the poster isn't getting flak from an outsider that really doesn't understand the politics or situations.

Er.....then your going to have threads with just two Finnish guys in an arm wrestling match.
The UBI off-topic board is dead because of the ban on politics. There has been a ban on political discussion on all UBI boards for sometime. The IL2 forum was an exception because it's posts outnumbered every other UBI forum by something like ten to one.

It was banned not because different nationalities argued with each other but because of the fall-out between US members after the US presidential election.

Wolf_Rider
08-04-2011, 02:09 AM
just apply the same rules as listed in the posting rules - vulgar language, vulgar images, religion, politics, etc, etc and flick the bug threads (or at least merge them with another similar in the appropriate sub board), whines, product put downs and personal attacks.

"there is one subject, which should never be discussed at a dinner party if people should wish to remain friends... and that is religion and politics."

friendly political discussion, doesn't exist, even among like-minded people... political discussion invariably becomes toxic

CharveL
08-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Pretty much everything is politics and religion by interpretation and degree.

How about no rules on topics and just arbitrarily smack down threads that get out of hand. The "no rules" policy should apply to mods as well, so simply lock threads that get out of hand and ignore all the indignant, butthurt posters that try and turn it into a mod-nazi debate.

I'm sure the mods are reasonably fair and try not to be biased but we don't need a court of law to decipher individual situations in a forum like this. Life's not fair sometimes and if you can't play here than they can cry about the unfairness somewhere else.

I mean, really, just stick to the legal stuff like overtly racist, serious and unrelenting personal attacks, pron, that kind of thing. Let the rest work itself out and don't be shy about unceremoniously locking bad threads until people lose their anarchistic tendencies and everything settles out.

arthursmedley
08-04-2011, 02:28 AM
Pretty much everything is politics and religion by interpretation and degree.

How about no rules on topics and just arbitrarily smack down threads that get out of hand. The "no rules" policy should apply to mods as well, so simply lock threads that get out of hand and ignore all the indignant, butthurt posters that try and turn it into a mod-nazi debate.

I'm sure the mods are reasonably fair and try not to be biased but we don't need a court of law to decipher individual situations in a forum like this. Life's not fair sometimes and if you can't play here than they can cry about the unfairness somewhere else.

I mean, really, just stick to the legal stuff like overtly racist, serious and unrelenting personal attacks, pron, that kind of thing. Let the rest work itself out and don't be shy about unceremoniously locking bad threads until people lose their anarchistic tendencies and everything settles out.

+1

unreasonable
08-04-2011, 04:03 AM
In a real Pilot's Lounge (at least in an Officers' Mess) the forbidden topics are:

- Politics
- Religion
- Women
- Shop

...which pretty much rules out 90% of the interesting parts of the human condition and explains why military types are so keen on active service - anything to get away from the stupefying dullness of the mess.

CharveL
08-04-2011, 05:16 AM
Personally I'm not all that interested in what anyone thinks on those subjects, and less so imposing my views on them but I don't mind sitting on the sidelines watching people implode either.

Propwash
08-04-2011, 12:27 PM
First rule.
gf_masitff has to take two Midol's with a warm glass of milk, wait half an hour and then he can post.
Serious PMS problem with that young lady.

:cool:

ElAurens
08-04-2011, 12:33 PM
:eek:

1.JaVA_Sharp
08-04-2011, 12:52 PM
no flame wars, name calling or nudity. The rest you can expand on on a case by case basis I suppose.

Robert
08-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Can we NOT have discussions of CoD in the Pilot's Lounge? There's a whole other forum for that.

raaaid
08-04-2011, 03:42 PM
just no personal attacks or arrahasement and any validity of topic

i could disguise religion by the magic of spell

god=dog=katy perro(dog in spanish)
and devil=lived=loved

just let any topic and let haters ban themselves :)

Viking
08-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Im just waiting for the first "Sig to our troops in Iraq!" tread and then we will see what a can o worms we have opened!
Pravda

Pudfark
08-04-2011, 10:30 PM
ROFL....What an improvement vs the last several weeks...

I sure hope "Mods" qualify for overtime pay....;)
Cuz yer job is gonna be as much fun?
As a corn count in an outhouse....:rolleyes:

Pudfark
08-04-2011, 10:33 PM
On a serious note....
Things must be really desperate to resort to
these new measures....it sure seems that the
lunatics are now running the asylum....:(

Jatta Raso
08-04-2011, 11:20 PM
really anything goes atm...

Dac
08-05-2011, 05:49 AM
After 10 years playing 1c games and then I'm told there will be a waiting list to go into an off topic forum? How silly.

You guys have a strange way of making people feel at home especially since we (the customers) are here by word of mouth or have purchased your product.

TheDawg
08-05-2011, 01:49 PM
After 10 years playing 1c games and then I'm told there will be a waiting list to go into an off topic forum? How silly.

You guys have a strange way of making people feel at home especially since we (the customers) are here by word of mouth or have purchased your product.

Quite a few of post on other forums naturally. Quite a few of us know each other, have known each other in some instances since the first IL2 DEMO was released. From beta testing, to the first UBI crash where we lost all our post counts in early 2002, all the patches, releases- the creation and demise of the orginal pilots lounge to its spin off(s) and their evolution(s).
this new one is quite funny, and we're having a ball talking about it elsewhere.

But you're right, as are a couple of others who've observed this isn't a public forum for open topics, it seems to be a private club where membership is exclusive and open to fluctuating rule changes to suit.
I hope this isn't going to become a momma's boy forum of the whining elite. I might start posting again. The banana forum seems to have died from self inflicted suffocation.
Hope this place becomes a forum to prioritize visits, not avoid.
No one noticed the most activity anywhere on 1C was in the last 24 hours? Posters show up who haven't been seen in years?
To find the hand wringing and pearl clutching ruin it? Ban me, delete me, m'eh. But I'm posting till it happens- in direct taunt of the absurd 100 post rule.

JG52Uther
08-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Yesterday when the pilots lounge opened, a lot of one post trolls turned up to spam the place with pics of nude women, nonsense posts and posts derailing other threads.
I don't see a problem with the post count rule.If people have no, or low post counts, they are not really active members of the forum, so it shouldn't be an issue for them.Why anyone would join a flight sim forum just to post O/T is beyond me.
Rules are good, and I am happy nearmiss got control of this place after the free for all that was yesterday..

Dac
08-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Yesterday when the pilots lounge opened, a lot of one post trolls turned up to spam the place with pics of nude women, nonsense posts and posts derailing other threads.
I don't see a problem with the post count rule.If people have no, or low post counts, they are not really active members of the forum, so it shouldn't be an issue for them.Why anyone would join a flight sim forum just to post O/T is beyond me.
Rules are good, and I am happy nearmiss got control of this place after the free for all that was yesterday..

I see your point but to be part of the OT forum is MY business and if I choose to have conversations with friends I made out of this game over the past several years than that's my choosing.

I don't feel compelled to talk about every new shiny bird the game produces or the +- degree of pitch I can enable on a slider. In fact I'm past that where it no longer to ME gives me the excitement from what it did, (IL2 1946) from the past.

Why can't you guys accept the fact that this game created friendships and over the years some of us still hang around and like to converse about other topics?

In summary I don't want to come to this forum and feel I have to be controlled like a muppet of some sort and have to be narrowly focused on talking about topics that YOU assert that I should be talking about

No disrespect to you but why not allow this to happen?

TheDawg
08-05-2011, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't have come back to 1C forums, I'm quite disgusted with the game that took forever, then simply didn't deliver. I might be back if some things ever get ironed till then...nope

The ONLY reason I'm gracing this subforum is I got a notice, from someone across the globe to come visit.
An old acquaintanceship from 2003 or 04 around or whenever Pacific Fighters was released.

Some of us are either no longer interested in post counts to prove they do, or do not support a game. Got Life much?
Suggesting a low post count is indicative of lacking community support or viability is related to post count is arrogant and shows the other end of it- elitists who think by shear numbers of posts they are somehow more valuable, or own the place by association.
I noticed someone foolishly suggested one of those low number posters was a troll. Amazing, he'd worked on beta for the game before they screwed up the name change.