PDA

View Full Version : CEM? Is it worth it at this stage?

maxwellbest
04-30-2011, 12:26 AM
Title says it all. Is it worth engaging CEM at this stage of development? Will doing so improve the performance of the A/C, ie more "realistic"?

jimbop
04-30-2011, 12:32 AM
Title says it all. Is it worth engaging CEM at this stage of development? Will doing so improve the performance of the A/C, ie more "realistic"?

Absolutely. And it isn't that hard to learn. Anyone who is planning on learning CEM at some stage shouldn't leave it too late. Bad habits can be hard to break...

Order of business IMHO: 1) ensure radiator is open to allow cooling; 2) learn how to trim the aircraft, especially rudder and elevator trim since most early fighters don't have aileron (a loose spring joystick helps here, cable ties are just great to reduce spring tension!); 3) keep an eye on the ball & slip indicator and trim with rudder to get true forward flight; 4) focus on prop pitch interactions with throttle to keep the boost pressure under control or risk the dreaded perforated water radiator.

Houndstone Hawk
04-30-2011, 12:37 AM
Loving your start up vids on youtube jimbop ;)

jimbop
04-30-2011, 12:42 AM
Loving your start up vids on youtube jimbop ;)

Not me... I'll be sure to look them up though, thanks!:-P

Houndstone Hawk
04-30-2011, 12:47 AM
Not me... I'll be sure to look them up though, thanks!:-P

Woops. Teach me for assuming lol. Here's but one of his vids. Very well done. Nice touch, v down to earth style :grin:

Sorry for the mistake btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfWAXo2I4g

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
04-30-2011, 01:04 AM

Absolutely. Significant advance from what's come before. Deepens the simulation experience.

Gives those of us with 10 years doing this - something to do :)

S!

Gunny

jimbop
04-30-2011, 01:17 AM
Absolutely. Significant advance from what's come before. Deepens the simulation experience.

S!

Gunny

Yeah, spot on. I fired up IL-2 the other day and was so bored when flying around!

Blackdog_kt
04-30-2011, 02:18 AM
Absolutely. And it isn't that hard to learn. Anyone who is planning on learning CEM at some stage shouldn't leave it too late. Bad habits can be hard to break...

Order of business IMHO: 1) ensure radiator is open to allow cooling; 2) learn how to trim the aircraft, especially rudder and elevator trim since most early fighters don't have aileron (a loose spring joystick helps here, cable ties are just great to reduce spring tension!); 3) keep an eye on the ball & slip indicator and trim with rudder to get true forward flight; 4) focus on prop pitch interactions with throttle to keep the boost pressure under control or risk the dreaded perforated water radiator.

That's pretty much it. The CEM migh be bugged currently above 3-4km of altitude, but it's a good practice learning the right habits early on.

In the long run, if you like flying with high difficulty settings it's something you'll want to learn. I simply can't go back to IL2 just because of the simplified engine modeling.

ATAG_Doc
05-01-2011, 05:37 PM
OK I am missing my icons in the lower left corner now. I must have turned them off and don't know how to get them back. Also on your Blenheim IV CEM start up I cannot see the carb heat at all. TrackIR for me doesn't swing that far for some reason nor can I use the hat to view it.

kimosabi
05-01-2011, 05:43 PM

S!

Gunny

Sure is. But even though you've been around for 10 years, I'm pretty sure your processor is a bit faster than 4.0 mHz. :-P

Habits is one thing, OP, but also learning how to multitask will help you out immensely in this game. Keeping track on your machine while also keeping track on the sky is a must. :)

jimbop
05-01-2011, 11:06 PM
OK I am missing my icons in the lower left corner now. I must have turned them off and don't know how to get them back.

Yes, this seems bugged for me too. I have to enable CEM in Realism settings and then restart the game for them to appear.

sorak
05-02-2011, 01:29 AM
Also on your Blenheim IV CEM start up I cannot see the carb heat at all. TrackIR for me doesn't swing that far for some reason nor can I use the hat to view it.

Try looking in the control options and look for the one to map a key to 'glance at gadges' I forgot exactly what its called.. But it gives you a better view at the gadges that on some planes you can see to well.

Heliocon
05-02-2011, 01:38 AM

Wo Wo wait, no aileron? How the heck do you turn the thing? That sounds crazy, turning with just rudder sounds like being the target in a shooting gallery.

jimbop
05-02-2011, 04:59 AM
Wo Wo wait, no aileron? How the heck do you turn the thing? That sounds crazy, turning with just rudder sounds like being the target in a shooting gallery.

No aileron trim...

Phazon
05-02-2011, 05:16 AM

Wing warping.:grin:

ZaltysZ
05-02-2011, 06:46 AM

Spitfire has TVC. :cool:

hockeywarrior
05-02-2011, 08:35 AM
My biggest complaint with the game is that it brutally punishes you right now if you turn off CEM. I'm going to learn it eventually when I have time to figure everything out, but right now with the game-breaking bug where your RPMs in many of the planes are limited with CEM off, you can't freaking play the game.

Right now you basically are forced to learn how to fly with CEM if you want to even try to enjoy the game. This is a gamebreaking bug that I'm really shocked hasn't been fixed yet. You literally can't beat campaign missions where you fly a Spitfire with this bug.

So in regards to the OP, you kind of don't have a choice. Otherwise, you gotta wait until they fix this bug.

TwistedAdonis
05-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Right now you basically are forced to learn how to fly with CEM if you want to even try to enjoy the game. This is a gamebreaking bug that I'm really shocked hasn't been fixed yet. You literally can't beat campaign missions where you fly a Spitfire with this bug.

This annoyed me too, but to be honest learning the basics of CEM in this game took about an hour and has increased my enjoyment of the game loads. There really is not much to it and it adds to the 'sim' feeling immensely. All the info you need is on this site.
Good luck with it.

moilami
05-02-2011, 11:51 AM
CEM all the way. There is no going back to old kiddies IL-2 after new IL-2 CEM.

warbirds
05-02-2011, 05:08 PM
You wanted a sim, you got a sim. I think it is really a sim in the true sense of the word and we are now slowly discovering how deep it is. If you want to fly a Spit like it really was then this is how you do it. If you just want air quake play WOP.

Blackdog_kt
05-02-2011, 07:10 PM
I agree on the need for extra realism but let's not be dismissive here. The game/sim (depending on how each one wants to use it) should not be "dumbed down" by default, but it should also be accessible. That's what the difficulty options are for anyway.

Also, if you think about it, relaxed difficulty options are good for the old-timers and "veterans" of the series too. If the new guys can't gradually ease themselves into the complexity and they become lost, they probably won't stick around much. If they can gradually learn however, enabling higher difficulty settings as they go along with it, they have a better chance of staying for the long haul and you have a better chance of getting lots of new and inexperienced targets in your sights ;)

jimbop
05-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Exactly, Blackdog_kt. This is a game (a girl in my spitfire!) and it needs to be accessible for starters. Having an easy mode that doesn't make you an ace is just daft and will surely be fixed.

Heliocon
05-03-2011, 12:01 AM
No aileron trim...

Just making sure you are all on your toes ;)

I lmao in retrospect too :P

jimbop
05-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Just making sure you are all on your toes ;)

I lmao in retrospect too :P

Yeah, just a slight difference hey! I was imagining trying to dogfight with no aileron - would be an interesting experience! :-P

hockeywarrior
05-03-2011, 02:12 AM
You wanted a sim, you got a sim. I think it is really a sim in the true sense of the word and we are now slowly discovering how deep it is. If you want to fly a Spit like it really was then this is how you do it. If you just want air quake play WOP.You're missing the point completely. It's not about learning to play the game the way it "should" be played, but rather about the game being broken.

What if the roles were reversed and the CEM system was totally messed up, making it impossible to play the game with CEM turned on? Wouldn't that piss you off? The developers give the player all of these realism options for a reason, and to not allow people to enjoy the game any other way when they supposedly give all these options isn't right.

Obviously games are never perfect (especially this one) on release, and bugs always exist. That said, it's a pretty damn big deal when one of the most advanced systems in the game is required to enjoy the game on any level. Not only is it alienating to lots of players -- it's not fair to money-paying customers to limit the way you want to play the game.

I totally intend on learning the ins and outs of CEM, just like I learned the ins and outs of everything in IL2 1946. I consider myself a "hardcore" player who wants to learn how to do every advanced thing in the game. That said, I still find the presence of the major game-breaking CEM bug in the game to be totally unfair to players who either are still learning the fundamentals of flight sims or don't want to deal with the realism options.

If the option is given to the money-paying customer, it should work. Especially when said broken option is essential to enjoying the game on any level. It's that simple.