Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

Old 04-29-2011, 11:26 PM
Approved Member

Default CEM? Is it worth it at this stage?

Title says it all. Is it worth engaging CEM at this stage of development? Will doing so improve the performance of the A/C, ie more "realistic"?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellbest View Post
Title says it all. Is it worth engaging CEM at this stage of development? Will doing so improve the performance of the A/C, ie more "realistic"?
Absolutely. And it isn't that hard to learn. Anyone who is planning on learning CEM at some stage shouldn't leave it too late. Bad habits can be hard to break...

Order of business IMHO: 1) ensure radiator is open to allow cooling; 2) learn how to trim the aircraft, especially rudder and elevator trim since most early fighters don't have aileron (a loose spring joystick helps here, cable ties are just great to reduce spring tension!); 3) keep an eye on the ball & slip indicator and trim with rudder to get true forward flight; 4) focus on prop pitch interactions with throttle to keep the boost pressure under control or risk the dreaded perforated water radiator.

Last edited by jimbop; 04-29-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Approved Member

Loving your start up vids on youtube jimbop
Old 04-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndstone Hawk View Post
Loving your start up vids on youtube jimbop
Not me... I'll be sure to look them up though, thanks!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbop View Post
Not me... I'll be sure to look them up though, thanks!
Woops. Teach me for assuming lol. Here's but one of his vids. Very well done. Nice touch, v down to earth style

Sorry for the mistake btw.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:04 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellbest View Post
Absolutely. Significant advance from what's come before. Deepens the simulation experience.

Gives those of us with 10 years doing this - something to do

S!

Gunny
Warthog and U2Nxt Cougar under t.a.r.g.e.t
Old 04-30-2011, 12:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSA/TX-Gunslinger View Post
Absolutely. Significant advance from what's come before. Deepens the simulation experience.

S!

Gunny
Yeah, spot on. I fired up IL-2 the other day and was so bored when flying around!
Old 04-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbop View Post
Absolutely. And it isn't that hard to learn. Anyone who is planning on learning CEM at some stage shouldn't leave it too late. Bad habits can be hard to break...

Order of business IMHO: 1) ensure radiator is open to allow cooling; 2) learn how to trim the aircraft, especially rudder and elevator trim since most early fighters don't have aileron (a loose spring joystick helps here, cable ties are just great to reduce spring tension!); 3) keep an eye on the ball & slip indicator and trim with rudder to get true forward flight; 4) focus on prop pitch interactions with throttle to keep the boost pressure under control or risk the dreaded perforated water radiator.
That's pretty much it. The CEM migh be bugged currently above 3-4km of altitude, but it's a good practice learning the right habits early on.

In the long run, if you like flying with high difficulty settings it's something you'll want to learn. I simply can't go back to IL2 just because of the simplified engine modeling.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Approved Member

OK I am missing my icons in the lower left corner now. I must have turned them off and don't know how to get them back. Also on your Blenheim IV CEM start up I cannot see the carb heat at all. TrackIR for me doesn't swing that far for some reason nor can I use the hat to view it.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSA/TX-Gunslinger View Post

S!

Gunny
Sure is. But even though you've been around for 10 years, I'm pretty sure your processor is a bit faster than 4.0 mHz.

Habits is one thing, OP, but also learning how to multitask will help you out immensely in this game. Keeping track on your machine while also keeping track on the sky is a must.