PDA

View Full Version : How do you blow the canopy

Doc_uk
04-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Not quiet blow, but force it open.
Had my spit engine shot to bits, earlyer and as i was heading towards the sea, i try,d to open my canopy, but it would not open, anyways i ended up upside down in the sea:( it wasnt a pleasant way to go......
so how do you, or can you force it open?
regards
Doc

Also can you put engine fires out, by going into a steep dive?

Blakduk
04-26-2011, 12:47 PM
As far as i can tell, you have to 'Open canopy' (with a key that you've mapped), then press control-E.
I think the early marks of Spitfires and Hurricanes didn't have a quick release mechanism on the hood so you can't jettison it.

Pyrres
04-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Try CTRL+J. It´s default for jettison canopy.

whoarmongar
04-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Blakduk is correct

The spit doesnt have jetison canopy
You must open canopy
then jump out
so its press "O" then press "CTL-E"
pressing CTL-J will leave you helplessly clawing at your canopy with a mounting sense of panic as you hurtle towards the ground in your burning wreck.

But dont forget to unplug your radio chord ALT-SHIFT-R before jumping or you will stay attached to your falling aircraft even afer jumping unable to open your chute.
Nah, not really, only joking.

Doc_uk
04-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Did any of you read what i said? i tryd to open it
ive got the open canopy setup on my warthog stick, but like i said it wouldnt open:confused: could it be damaged? from all the gunfire i toke?

Pyrres
04-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Did any of you read what i said? i tryd to open it
ive got the open canopy setup on my warthog stick, but like i said it wouldnt open:confused: could it be damaged? from all the gunfire i toke?

Could be damage or G-effects.

LT.INSTG8R
04-26-2011, 03:01 PM
I have just been pressing Cntrl+Space(default key) works fine in both allied and axis planes for me so far. I believe it is Toggle Cockpit

whoarmongar
04-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Well the canopy slides back on runners, I guess you get damage to the runners it wont open, you will be trapped and doomed.

Plt Off JRB Meaker
04-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Doc,you gotta have cockpit view showing for you to do this,not third party views or flyby view,I'm pretty sure this is the problem,I found out the hard way!!

Doc_uk
04-27-2011, 07:08 AM
Doc,you gotta have cockpit view showing for you to do this,not third party views or flyby view,I'm pretty sure this is the problem,I found out the hard way!!
Sorry guys, i think it was down to my stupidness, i was hiting the wrong button, in my panic to get out the plane:(

Rattlehead
04-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Sorry guys, i think it was down to my stupidness, i was hiting the wrong button, in my panic to get out the plane:(

Don't worry Doc, it's happened to the best of us. :)

Koala63
04-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Wasnt it the case that being killed by gunfire in your fighter was the 3rd worst thing that could happen to you? The 2nd worst being burned to death and the absolute worst was being burned and then surviving. It was your face that copped it. IIRC, there were whole wards of hospitals set up for fighter pilots.

Wasn't being trapped inside the cockpit too common in the early railed-canopy fighters and isn't that why the crowbar was eventually put inside the Spit's 'pit? Anyway, I bet more than one pilot went down because of panic.