PDA

View Full Version : Where the hell am I going ?

whoarmongar
04-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Can someone pls help me I gotta be doing something wrong.
Flying a Spit If I take off from the ground, but not if I spawn in the air my directional gyro is out , usually by about 130*. Am I missing something obvious ?
Do I have to "set" it somehow ? although I would expect my riggers to have done that, On the subject of riggers I would also expected them to cure my plane of flying one wing low. Lazy buggers, never see any about , I expect theyre all in a nissan hut drinking tea somewhere.
Before you say it dont mention toppling instruments THAT ISNT THE PROBLEM. In truth I expect some Nazi loving fifth columnist has put a powerful magnet next to my compass in order to sabotage my aircraft
I have seen noone mention the compass problem and im starting to get paranoid thinking its only my plane affected.
Oh and that coursesetter, whats the point Its hidden behind the stick and so I couldnt use it even if I knew how the hell to use it.
I play on realistic cockpit always on, but dammit it shouldnt be this difficult. For christ sake a working compass heading isnt TO much to ask for is it

322Sqn_Dusty
04-16-2011, 01:45 PM
The april 15th beta sets the new course on entering flying mode.

Redroach
04-16-2011, 02:59 PM
I think I have figured it out. When looking at the magnetic compass, find the needle with the crossbar. Going from there, sometimes, the +3o'clock needle shows the approximately right course, sometimes the -3o'clock needle shows it.
Then apply a random +-15 deg. correction to it. And finally, switch the markings for east and west
:rolleyes:

Ataros
04-16-2011, 03:23 PM
When looking at the magnetic compass, find the needle with the crossbar.

Does it show North or South? I am completely lost.

Redroach
04-16-2011, 04:26 PM
well, my post was a rather humoristic one. I'm lost as well :rolleyes:
most likely because the heading is not only hard to read, it seems that there are bugs as well...

whoarmongar
04-16-2011, 06:32 PM
You gotta laugh really, This forum is full of threads about jumpy rev counters, the theoretical octane rating of the fuel, why they cant run with maxed out vid settings over London and get 70FPS, and in the meanwhile nobody notices you cant climb above 20000ft and your compass doesnt work ! I really want to like this game, I really do. Its got some nice moments and shows lotsa potential but its breaking me, Now remind me.... rich is backwards, lean is forwards except in a hurricane where its bugged, but is patched ? Whats the difference anyway? the engine coughs splutters and dies whatever your settings ....sigh.

bando
04-16-2011, 09:19 PM
I made a post on simHQ. The reason I posted not here is the pictures. I just cannot get the pictures into posts on this forum. Here's a link to the post I made over there to set the compass:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3271861/How_to_set_the_compass.html#Post3271861

whoarmongar
04-16-2011, 09:59 PM
Jez, Shame the coursesetters hid behind the goddam stick, My head hurts with all this stuff, Gonna go and practice on a parked spitfire, see if i can figure all this out. Thanks for the crash course Bando, your info is good and the link helped a lot

whoarmongar
04-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Well Bando i just tried it and it works ! But its so easy to set it 180* out, and so awkward to use. Stick has to be hard back and over to get a good view of compass, then you have to fiddle with the knobs etc to set it, doing this in flight will be imposible I would say in realistic mode ie no autopilot. I cant believe the testers ever tried this before game release. It would be so much better if in the "glance at dashboard" view didnt include the flight stick which obscures the view of these vital bits of kit.

bando
04-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Well I got a "coolie hat" from a game pad assigned for that. Left/right sets increases/decreases the course setter, up/down does the DG.
After some practice one can do it fairly quick, even in flight.
I edited the post on simHQ to state that the "train track should be aligned with the North side towards the crossbarred white line.

I hope this all makes some sense.

whoarmongar
04-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Thats a good idea, I got 9 buttons 3 axis and two coolie hats on my joystick and I ran out of buttons to assign ages ago. I use trakIr so my top coolie is mix/prop which is handy. Im seriously considering canabalising an old controler to make a "dashboard" esp for when I start using the multi engine aircraft.

bando
04-16-2011, 11:23 PM
I got 2 usb hubs full of that. 2 throttles (saitek and a CH quadrant) MSFFB2, rudder pedals, joypad, track ir.
Lots of sliders and buttons, and still I'm having problems assigning (and remembering *sigh*)

Great sim ain't it :cool:

whoarmongar
04-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Im a sucker for buggy PC games, remember Rowan BoB ? buggy as hell , I loved it. Falcon4 ? Bugfest. I spent hours on it, Hidden and dangerous ? blue screen hell , I was obsessed with it. Oh and dont mention ANY of the silent hunter series.

Blackdog_kt
04-17-2011, 04:45 AM
Well, to be fair, even if you start with a pre-set gyro it will drift over time and you will have to reset it anyway, so take a minute and learn to do it.

You don't even have to be directly looking at it, just click on it to align the course setter bars with the compass "line". You can also click with the stick in the way, it will still work and you still get the on-screen text telling you at what heading it's set. If it still bothers you trying to click on it, assign a couple of keys to do it and just watch until the yellow course selector lines are parallel to the white compass line.

I was confused because i didn't know how to read it until another forum user explained it in another thread, now i have no problems with it. The linked thread in SimHQ shows how it's done and it's very simple.

In short:
1) Align the yellow line of the course selector so that it's parallel with the main compass line (the big one), taking care to place the marking for North on the course selector ring on the edge of the compass line that has the small "T" on it.
2) Read the resulting heading from the on-screen text.
3) Turn the directional gyro to match it.
4) Repeat every 10-15 minutes or after violent maneuvers.

sorak
04-17-2011, 08:24 AM
You gotta laugh really, This forum is full of threads about jumpy rev counters, the theoretical octane rating of the fuel, why they cant run with maxed out vid settings over London and get 70FPS, and in the meanwhile nobody notices you cant climb above 20000ft and your compass doesnt work ! I really want to like this game, I really do. Its got some nice moments and shows lotsa potential but its breaking me, Now remind me.... rich is backwards, lean is forwards except in a hurricane where its bugged, but is patched ? Whats the difference anyway? the engine coughs splutters and dies whatever your settings ....sigh.

haha i feel your pain

snwkill
04-17-2011, 02:05 PM
So you get the directional gyro going... How do you tell where you are? Great you can tell where you are going, but if you don't have the terrain memorized, you still can't tell where you are correct?

Skoshi Tiger
04-17-2011, 02:16 PM
So you get the directional gyro going... How do you tell where you are? Great you can tell where you are going, but if you don't have the terrain memorized, you still can't tell where you are correct?

You could use the in game map with icons. But if your are going to go full real with your settings then you should, as you say, take the time to learn about the environment that your flying in.

Another alternative would be to stop at every pub you fly past and ask for directions.

Cheers!

snwkill
04-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Yea I got lost more than one time on a server last night. Another problem I seem to have is finding the runway when I start in the hangers. How do you find it? I noticed from the air you have a white triangle but from the ground everything looks the same... I think I taxied into a field, and managed somehow to keep my wing off of the ground.

ElAurens
04-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Unlike CEM where I think the devs got the balance between complexity and gameplay just right, this compass fiasco simply goes too far.

It's a needless set of things to do in a pseudo 3D world. I have the complete CH setup including a throttle quadrant, and I am all out of buttons already, and I have not even thought about bomber aircraft yet.

I say ditch the whole complex compass nonsense and just have the thing read where you are going, or at most just have a simple "reset" button that would need to be used every so often.

I'm all for immersion, but tedious button pushing does not make for more immersion. Leave that for a single plane study sim, not for a combat simulator.

whoarmongar
04-24-2011, 08:17 PM
I have to admit it did seem a bit extreme, but now its just a part of my preflight routine. At least it was explained to me on this forum, I dont remember anything being mentioned in the useless PDF manual. At least since the patches it is auto sets for you when you spawn in flight.

whoarmongar
04-24-2011, 08:25 PM
I also could never find the runways.

The only way I can find them now is to turn "Roads on", and "grass off", in the settings and hey presto I can now see runways.

As for turning left or right to find the runway after spawning in a hanger, damned if I know.

I find it rather tricky just getting OUT the hangar, esp with no outside view.

klem
04-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Well, to be fair, even if you start with a pre-set gyro it will drift over time and you will have to reset it anyway, so take a minute and learn to do it.

You don't even have to be directly looking at it, just click on it to align the course setter bars with the compass "line". You can also click with the stick in the way, it will still work and you still get the on-screen text telling you at what heading it's set. If it still bothers you trying to click on it, assign a couple of keys to do it and just watch until the yellow course selector lines are parallel to the white compass line.

I was confused because i didn't know how to read it until another forum user explained it in another thread, now i have no problems with it. The linked thread in SimHQ shows how it's done and it's very simple.

In short:
1) Align the yellow line of the course selector so that it's parallel with the main compass line (the big one), taking care to place the marking for North on the course selector ring on the edge of the compass line that has the small "T" on it.
2) Read the resulting heading from the on-screen text.
3) Turn the directional gyro to match it.
4) Repeat every 10-15 minutes or after violent maneuvers.

This is still damned difficult because a lot of the time the compass needle ends are hidden by the stick. If you move the stick you change your heading and by the time you've settled it down you're either off-track or back where you started. Being off track is exactly what you are supposed to be avoiding!

The idea of viewing the instrument panel WITHOUT the stick in view is a good one because we are unable to simulate what happened in RL with the pilot leaning sideways enough to see the needle end and rotate the bezel. The cockpit head limitations prevent this no matter how much I stretch my TIR. The head limitations are there to stop daft outside views beyond what was possible but the compass should be seen around the stick.

Of course we could have a 'look down over the stick' or 'look more round the stick' view ;)

ElAurens
04-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Given the limitations of in cockpit view angles, implementing this "feature" was not well thought out.

I have adjusted my TIR, Ive tried it with the canopy open, but there is just no way to do it in flight in a Hurricane. (I never fly the Spitfire).

Blackdog_kt
04-26-2011, 06:49 PM
It is a bit difficult and yes, i agree that the "look at the instruments" view should be probably modified a bit to allow viewing the compass. I have that view mapped to a button on the base of my sidewinder precision pro stick and it works only as long as you keep pressing it, while also disabling head tracking for the duration, so you get a pretty stable picture on all instruments. This was a big help to me when i first started flying the sim, because i wasn't accustomed to CEM yet and i wanted a way to do brief checks on temps, RPM and what-not without bending my neck too much and without losing a lot of time during the fight.

If that view could be moved slightly up and forward and angled downward a bit more for the RAF fighters, it would probably manage to "clear" the top of the stick and display a clear view of the compass.

In the meantime however i have found a suitable workaround. I temporarily disable my head tracking and use the mouse to move the view down, as it so happens the compass is somewhat visible, extending behind the left side of the stick if you do this. You can do this via head-tracking too, but it's harder because you have to move your head sufficiently down and roll your eyes upwards to keep it in sight, plus the tracking LEDs get a bit harder to track at such a position, so i prefer pressing F9 and paning the camera with the mouse.

Sure, you can't follow this method mid-combat but i doubt anyone is calibrating their gyro compass during that time anyway. I just do this routine when cruising every 10-15 minutes and you don't even have to keep the entire compass visible. As long as the left side of it is visible you can work with it, since you just need to make the course setter lines parallel to the main compass line and read the resulting heading value from the info window.