PDA

View Full Version : Taxiing

bando
04-03-2011, 04:37 PM
I have trouble taxiing. Rudder pedals do not do much, some aircraft do not have any breaks (or so it seems) and a lot of planes just want to veer to the right.
Is this only me?

bongodriver
04-03-2011, 06:32 PM
I can't say what the cause of your problem is but I can give you some tips on real life taildragger handling, quite often you will find yourself needing full rudder deflection at low speeds to get a reaction, sometimes a dab of brake helps too, bearing in mind to handle brakes very carefully because you can put the aircraft onto it's nose, a good taildragger habbit is to keep the stick fully back while taxiing (Tiger moth has no brakes) aircraft like the spit and hurricane have a single brake lever on the control column, in order to brake a wheel independently you must apply rudder deflection and operate the brake, when rudders are centered the brakes apply to both wheels, aircraft with independent toe brakes are much easier to handle.

bando
04-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks

MadTommy
04-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the tips bongo.

I've been having a lot of issues taxiing too. There have been some interesting runways used my me!

TUCKIE_JG52
04-12-2011, 04:16 PM
...a good taildragger habbit is to keep the stick fully back while taxiing

The problem is that the propwash is not modelled or it's very weak, so this has almost no effect when done in CoD... same for pulling some gas into deflected rudder, I felt almost no effect... :(

I've commented the propwash effect in this post:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=21250

Has someone noticed this?

bongodriver
04-12-2011, 04:45 PM
same for pulling some gas into deflected rudder, I felt almost no effect...

most of the taildraggers I have flown are difficult to steer on just rudder deflection alone .....particularily on grass surfaces, the tiger moth has the advantage of having a skid (this digs in to the ground and gives better traction), but tailwheels tend to need a dab of brake to get them steering.

I wouldn't say propwash is not modelled because of other effects that do occur in the game, but there is something odd about the aircrafts behaviour when static on the ground....they seem to drift sideways unless you put on the brakes, almost like the pull of the prop is 90 degrees out.

MadTommy
04-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Still having problems taxiing...tbh i can't taxi at all. It has not stopped me getting airborne, but it has stopped me using proper runways.

bongodriver
04-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Still having problems taxiing...tbh i can't taxi at all. It has not stopped me getting airborne, but it has stopped me using proper runways.

I have the spits and hurris set up with the brake key assigned to my pinky switch, to make them turn you need to push full rudder and hold the brakes on, you need to keep the speed relatively slow, but I have to admit it should respond much better, I havent tried any of the other aircraft yet appart from the tiger moth and that taxis ok for me.

kingpinda
04-12-2011, 07:55 PM
If you go fly the german crafts you have no problems. I think they all use differential toe-brakes. Jerry was just more advanced back then. its evident by just looking in the cockpits.

I have the same setup for british planes as stated above here. Using my pinky switch for wheel brake. you can turn 360 degrees while standing still and going throttle up with this.

taking off is something to get used to though. I set my rudder trim a bit to the right like in the hurricane. I actually power up my plane like i'm on a carrier. Its part of my warming up procedure as it were where I maintain 2k rpm for a bit.

I then go full throttle and just when my brakes don't hold it anymore I let go of the brakes. Prepare for much right rudder input to keep craft on runway. Then when i've picked up speed steadily push forward stick to get taildragger/wheel of the ground.

Be prepared to return rudder to center SUBTLY! and to slowly return stick to center position otherwise the plane will make a circulair motion which is hard to correct. or you might plow the field.

when rudder and stick in center you will have to give slight input to rudder to keep straight again. When stick is back to center with enough speed you notice the prop pulling the air and keeps rotated by itself. If you push forward too long you will plow the field and wreck.

now slowly pull on the stick and watch the wing drop. give a little counter airelon and you should be airborn.

PS if you got trim dials be sure to check they are in neutral positions or the positions you would like them to be in.

I wasnt actually going to give a small take off tutorial and I don't know if this is the most correct way to do so. it is what feels natural to me though with the british planes.

Don't be afraid to shoot down any of my comments :)

LcSummers
04-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Sorry guys for that stupid question, wich is the "pinky" switch. I heard it alot but do not know what or were it is.:confused:

bongodriver
04-12-2011, 08:08 PM
if your stick has one it is right under where your pinky finger is

pinky= little finger

LcSummers
04-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Thanks alot bongodriver now i am "enlighted":grin:

Yes i have this mistirious button and for sure my "pinky finger"

Salute

kingpinda
04-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Sorry guys for that stupid question, wich is the "pinky" switch. I heard it alot but do not know what or were it is.:confused:

Hehe I have a joystick with a pinky switch. Its a switch at the bottom of my stick where my pinky finger rests. You can use any button which feels natural to you or use a keyboard button.

You can also use a toebrake axis but I tried that and that does not work intuitively. Better to use toebrakes on your rudder for the german planes only.

LcSummers
04-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Hehe I have a joystick with a pinky switch. Its a switch at the bottom of my stick where my pinky finger rests. You can use any button which feels natural to you or use a keyboard button.

You can also use a toebrake axis but I tried that and that does not work intuitively. Better to use toebrakes on your rudder for the german planes only.

Yes, my toe brakes are working fine on german aircraft but as mentioned earlier english airplanes are hard to taxiing (for me). I pulled down my stickto get a better grip and using rudder and pushing the brake key has not that effect i wanted.

kingpinda
04-12-2011, 08:33 PM
You do need to give heavy throttle though. I have no problem turning while standing still or going about 15 km/hour when pressing the wheelbrake button, giving plenty of throttle and kicking in the rudder (not the toe-brakes).

You are referring to normal taxi though are you not? as in.. getting from hangar to nice line up on the runway?

If you are trying to take off read my earlier bit. taking off in british planes is tricky indeed and no braking should be used. You can brake with german planes during takeoff because they are differential. British planes is Brake on Brake off. no in between.. thus one second you are rotating and the next your plane is nose deep in.. well.. deep :p

ps be sure that, when you hold your pinky button which is bound to wheel brake, in the right of the screen the words :"wheelbrake on" appear

LcSummers
04-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Hi kingpinda,

Quote: You are referring to normal taxi though are you not?
YES

In solo flight (training Hurricane) taxiing is working fine. There are no problems. Even after landing the Hurricane, i can roll into one of these hangars.

The taxiing problem occurs when i landed the aircraft and trying to roll into the hangar. (There is a mission when you starting from the airfield with a Blenhem but you can choose different aircrafft too.)

Here i am trying to learn how aircraft reacting when pushing throttle, using to brakes etc.

Surley i will try your suggestion.

Thanx mate

Blackrat
04-13-2011, 10:42 AM
I have noticed that the hurri wheels are sunk into the ground slightly and the tail wheel is sunk up to its axle. Wonder if this is adding too much drag and reducing the response whilst taxying. Also I feel that the aircraft takes a wee bit too long to speed up whilst taking off.