Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Mods, discussions, links, etc.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Approved Member

Default Can TF mods fix antialiasing?

It's great, all the good work being done to improve CoD.
But the most important improvement would be to add functional antialiasing. Without that the sim is terribly unplayable due to the jagged blurriness.
That should be a high priority.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:21 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpeXB View Post
It's great, all the good work being done to improve CoD.
But the most important improvement would be to add functional antialiasing. Without that the sim is terribly unplayable due to the jagged blurriness.
That should be a high priority.
Have you tried sweetfx?Also waht gpu are you using? I use an Nvidia card and turning FXAA on did a huge improvement on the jaggies for me.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:52 AM
Approved Member

I've tried Nvidia FXAA and SweetFX
Niether of those make any difference I can discern.
Unfortunately the lack of sharpness on the screen is just the kiss of death for a flight sim. It's impossible to see clearly and other aircraft just dissappear at certain distances. As good as CoD is in many ways, this quality makes it quite unplayable.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Unfortunately the lack of sharpness on the screen is just the kiss of death for a flight sim. It's impossible to see clearly and other aircraft just dissappear at certain distances. As good as CoD is in many ways, this quality makes it quite unplayable.
I understand your concern as I hated the jaggies I got with my old Radeon card.Sorry it doesnt work for you, by the way my nvidia control panel settings are set to "Global" as assigning the settings to COD exe seems to be uneffective.As for the aircraft dissapering over distance that has to do with how lods work.Hopefully the TF chaps will have some time and effor dedicated to this issue in the future, maybe they can get it sorted over time.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:

I cannot find any evidence that "other aircraft just disappear at certain distances"...furthermore in order for that to be true, it would need to be experienced by everyone. Is it hard to track aircraft, yes. Do the aircraft disappear, no. At least not at a reasonable distance for any possible engagement to occur.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 05-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipBall View Post
I cannot find any evidence that "other aircraft just disappear at certain distances"...furthermore in order for that to be true, it would need to be experienced by everyone. Is it hard to track aircraft, yes. Do the aircraft disappear, no. At least not at a reasonable distance for any possible engagement to occur.
Is not that they disappear per se, its just how the lods work and how the AA or maybe the lack of AA works.When you are near other planes they look right in all aspects, you can hardly see any jaggies if they are up close, but as they move farther away from you their shape is reduced to the point that the aircraft is represented by maybe 2 horizontal lines of pixels for the wings and maybe one short vertical line of pixels for the rest of the fuselage, those lines start to shimmer like crazy.Its easier to see the actual first dot than to keep track of planes when they are in that "shimmering lines representation".Im sure Im not the only one experiencing this phenomenon.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royraiden View Post
Is not that they disappear per se, its just how the lods work and how the AA or maybe the lack of AA works.When you are near other planes they look right in all aspects, you can hardly see any jaggies if they are up close, but as they move farther away from you their shape is reduced to the point that the aircraft is represented by maybe 2 horizontal lines of pixels for the wings and maybe one short vertical line of pixels for the rest of the fuselage, those lines start to shimmer like crazy.Its easier to see the actual first dot than to keep track of planes when they are in that "shimmering lines representation".Im sure Im not the only one experiencing this phenomenon.
Yes, that's what I experience. It's also possible to see another aircraft, barely at long distance at wide zoom but when you zoom in, it's not visible. Maybe the real issue is LOD along with AA

By the way. I do think CoD is just awesome. Don't want to seem negative, but this issue has put me off a bit. A solution would be to use labels but those are such a distraction. It is a gorgeous looking sim.

Added system specs below
Velocity Micro Raptor Z90 | Asus P8Z77-V Intel Z77 | Intel Core i7-3770K 4.7GHz | Asetek Liquid Cooling System | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | 4GB EVGA Nvidia GTX980 SC ACX 2.0 | 120gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 1TB 7200rpm SATA 300 w/NCQ | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 7 64-bit |27" Samsung 1920 x 1080 display | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Last edited by SharpeXB; 05-14-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royraiden View Post

For what ever reason some people have never experienced what you describe here. That would indicate to me that it is a hardware related but do not know. I am redoing some videos now with my new knowledge of the FPS limiter. I'll try to capture what I see in both game's but it may be boring to most. Simply proving that my system can track AI has no value to anyone else I suppose.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 05-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Approved Member

We all have this game so perhaps an example isn't needed, but here's some screenshots
look at the cable running along the top of the 109 which appears as a jagged broken line

then look at the second shot of the Fw190, see how the cable appears solid.

The problem is at a far distance that jaggedness means the aircraft breaks up into blocks and isn't recognizable or sometimes even visible.

It's great that people are working to mod and improve the sim, but this should be their first priority. This is a great looking sim and the modeling work is fantastic, but it's marred by the lack of antialiasing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-02-09_00003.jpg (200.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Screen_130501_215136.jpg (361.0 KB, 46 views)
Velocity Micro Raptor Z90 | Asus P8Z77-V Intel Z77 | Intel Core i7-3770K 4.7GHz | Asetek Liquid Cooling System | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | 4GB EVGA Nvidia GTX980 SC ACX 2.0 | 120gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 1TB 7200rpm SATA 300 w/NCQ | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 7 64-bit |27" Samsung 1920 x 1080 display | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Old 05-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
We all have this game so perhaps an example isn't needed, but here's some screenshots
look at the cable running along the top of the 109 which appears as a jagged broken line

then look at the second shot of the Fw190, see how the cable appears solid.

The problem is at a far distance that jaggedness means the aircraft breaks up into blocks and isn't recognizable or sometimes even visible.

It's great that people are working to mod and improve the sim, but this should be their first priority. This is a great looking sim and the modeling work is fantastic, but it's marred by the lack of antialiasing

Not for me, at a reasonable distance that I would even notice aircraft in the area. You can prove this to your self by flying a mission/give auto pilot the controls'/switch to outside view/using the mouse, distance your aircraft a few miles away from your view using dragging the mouse