Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 02-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Approved Member

Default Can “Realism” Doom IL2:1946?

Let me say at the onset, this is not a critical piece. I love this game and appreciate all the work that TD has done to enhance IL2:1946. It has given me hours of enjoyment, but I have noticed of late that a drive for “realism” has begun to creep into the patches eliminating some of the features we enjoy on “easy” play.

I would like to thank the members of TD for all their hard work in bringing great us great improvements and additions to IL2:1946.

I have a question though. Would it be possible to make the new aircraft available without having to upgrading the whole game? I would love to have the new planes, but not the “realism” improvement. Is that possible? Right now, I’m holding at 4.10.1.

I know there are some players who are playing on “fully realistic”, but I would be willing to bet that most of those who play the game do so on “easy” setting. I use to love using to torpedoes to sink Japanese and German shipping. Since I upgraded to 4.10.1, my torpedoes do not work even when the game is set to full easy. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but I don’t think so.

At some point it may become so realistic that it will be unplayable except by a small hand full of fanatics. Of the 44 or so thousand members of M4T, I would really be interested in knowing just how many play on full realistic settings. What has made IL2 so successful is it’s flexibility. The full spectrum of “pilots” can play. From the complete novice to the most seasoned ace, all can enjoy IL2:1946.

You folks have done a wonderful job upgrading IL2:1946. Again, let me say thank you. I, and I’m sure, all those who love this game really appreciate all the hard work you do.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Approved Member

All of the realism improvements can be turned off in difficulty settings, can't they? Why do you need the option to tick those difficulty settings removed - just so you can say you play on 'full switch'?
Old 02-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

You should upgrade to 4.11, there realistic torpedo parameters have become an option.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Approved Member

You could fly on autopilot, then take the dog for walk, come back and find those ships sunk. Didn't have to think about it or do anything all, lol!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Approved Member

While some aspects have become more realistic it has always been the case that difficulty settings can be modified and the realism settings can be turned down as per each players preferences.

I'm not sure if you've noticed by in 4.10 and again in 4.11 the realism area got a bit of a workover and there are now even more fine tuning options so that you can turn off fragile torpedoes, use more basic bomb arming (i.e. they always go off no matter what you do), use easier to aim rockets, etc. Some of that was just done and some of it was community request but I think it looks pretty good.

The realism factors on IL-2 have always gone up. More realistic damage modeling, flight modeling, etc. have always been introduced as time went on. When 4.01 came out years ago it introduced a totally new flight modeling system that was meant as a kind of test bed for Cliffs of Dover. It totally changed how we all flew... but everyone has adapted nicely. Many people newer to the game never knew what it used to be like
Old 02-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameson View Post
You could fly on autopilot, then take the dog for walk, come back and find those ships sunk. Didn't have to think about it or do anything all, lol!
I like to play on "easy", not lazy!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Approved Member

I think its not a question of realistic just more difficult.

So "fully realistic" should be replaced with "full difficulty"

As for bombers load outs being "changed" ............... lets just say we have options now

v4.11 brings a change in arming bombs and torps.

I am still to see the fighters ammo "changed" as far as canon/machine guns jamming due to high G manoeuvres or freezing and electrical/hydraulic failures in their triggering.

Seems strange to make changes to bombers load outs and not the fighters also.

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 02-20-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Approved Member

As others have mentioned, 4.11 introduces a slew of new difficulty options, including those for torpedoes, rockets, and the new engine overheat parameters. The organization is now much better, with 5 or 6 pages of categorized options rather than 3 pages of mumbo-jumbo.

I understand that having an easy option is vital to the continued success of the game, even though I've personally moved on from that (but it is still fun to mess around in some easy servers now and again). As long as Il-2 has the scalable difficulty that it does, Il-2 won't be doomed for its realism/difficulty.

Getting 4.11 is totally worth it, but if you're still not sure, copy the game, and patch only one copy and then decide which you enjoy more. I think anyone will appreciate the new aircraft and new AI routines.

Last edited by Luno13; 02-20-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Approved Member

meh ... if you want easy fly by wire you can always dig up CFS 2

The reason IL2 succeeded and CFS 2 failed back in the day is Oleg refused to compromise and pander to the toy market.

Sadly marketing people never see that. They think for a game to succeed you need to let every random 10 year old feel like a hero after only one day of play.

The result can be clearly seen in the fantasy RPG market. Learning the various unique combat controls and what technique to use with each different monster was a real challenge in old school RPG's. Unfortunately combat in virtually every modern RPG consists of "stand next to the bad guy with your uber-sword and left click very fast".

rant over ... back on topic ...

To answer the OP's question, I have always played full difficulty and in addition set all icons off, speedbar off, the chat text bar off and the RHS hud style display (WEP , rads etc) turned off.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTE_Galway View Post
meh ... if you want easy fly by wire you can always dig up CFS 2

The reason IL2 succeeded and CFS 2 failed back in the day is Oleg refused to compromise and pander to the toy market.

Sadly marketing people never see that. They think for a game to succeed you need to let every random 10 year old feel like a hero after only one day of play.

The result can be clearly seen in the fantasy RPG market. Learning the various unique combat controls and what technique to use with each different monster was a real challenge in old school RPG's. Unfortunately combat in virtually every modern RPG consists of "stand next to the bad guy with your uber-sword and left click very fast".

rant over ... back on topic ...

To answer the OP's question, I have always played full difficulty and in addition set all icons off, speedbar off, the chat text bar off and the RHS hud style display (WEP , rads etc) turned off.
CFS1/2 were hacked to pieces, IL2 come along and was a one disc "almost" cheat free solution. That was the main attraction for many.

The stakes were raised and some of the CFS1/2 Aces couldn't cut the mustard in IL2 and skulked away from their CFS hero status once the playing field was levelled with IL2.

Times have changed the combat flight sim market is not as popular or isn't as attractive as it was back 10 + years ago, possibly because
there's a lot of other distractions out there for the younger generation as far as gaming goes unless they have a specific interest in WW2 aircraft.

You have to have all levels of difficulty to bring in new blood, if its too difficult from the get go then people will loose interest quickly,
remember its also about having some fun, far too many take this game too seriously and them selves along with it.

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 02-21-2012 at 09:13 AM.