Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Tvrdi

Default "Comfort" in cockpits of BOB adversaries

some of you maybe saw this but nevertheless:

Me109:

Spitfire MK I

Old 03-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Sternjaeger

seen it before, the guy is a right XXXX and totally biased. The cockpit of the 109 was surely smaller, but the layout was superior and so was the distribution/quality of the controls and instruments.

This again is a classic example of how people shouldn't always listen to pilots' opinions, because believe it or not they're human beings like us, with flaws, preferences and what not..

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 03-05-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Tvrdi

yeah, bit still it clearly shows how BF109 cockpit was small....really not much room for pilot....

Last edited by Tvrdi; 03-03-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Sternjaeger

That's very true. I never had the chance of sitting in a 109, but I sat in a Spit Mk.IX and the impression that you get is to sit in a very vulnerable position: the seat is like a trestle suspended in the middle of the monocoque fuselage and you feel very exposed, not a nice place to be when they're shooting at you with 20mm..
Old 03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Approved Member

The pilot in the video is the ex BBMF leader Paul Day.

,probably has more flight time in a WW11 fighter than anyone else ,[maybe John Romain excepted] and you call him a twat and biased.
If you actually listen to what he says ,they are facts.
Cockpit is small/cramped
Canopy is heavy and difficult to get open [Black 6 crashed and the pilot asked the fire crews NOT to cut the airframe to release him] as he could'nt get out any other way had to be lifted.
http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org...es/lrg1545.jpg
He praises the controls,throttles,panel and the layout so not really totally biased against at all.
I think you need to listen more carefully and make a less biased statement yourself.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Approved Member

we need his height and weight
Old 03-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Approved Member

The guy pointed out bad things while on the Spit too, so not completely biased, but the fact that he seems really big and tall doesnt necessarily represent what most 109 pilots felt while inside that cockpit.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Approved Member

Modern era western civilians, used to have everything at their disposal judge war machines from an old era......

I bet was more comfortable in the pit of the 109 than it was in the frozen trenches in Stalingrad.
We can argue and comment all we want eighty years later in a peaceful era.
Comfort don't mean crap in war. The Russians flew with open canopies in frigid winter and didn't whine like this guy.
Back then people were not used to be pampered like we are today, on top of that it was war, and in war you use what they give you the best you can.
They did mighty good throughout the war in those "oh my God this is cramped" Bf109 cockpits.
For the ammount of time the 109 had fuel that pit was plenty comfortable.

With this whiny generation of pampered crybabies, God help us if we have to fight a real war, against a real enemy.

Last edited by Jaws2002; 03-03-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws2002 View Post
Modern era western civilians, used to have everything at their disposal judge war machines from an old era......

I bet was more confortable in the pit of the 109 than it was in the frozen trenches in Stalingrad.
We can argue and comment all we want eighty years later in a peaceful confort.
Confort don't mean crap in war. The Russians flew with open canopies in frigid winter and didn't whine like this guy.
Back then people were not used to be pampered like we are today, on top of that it was war, and in war you use what they give you the best you can.
They did mighty good throughout the war in those "oh my God this is cramped" Bf109 cockpits.
For the ammount of time the 109 had fuel that pit was plenty confortable.

With this whiny generation of pampered crybabies, God help us if we have to fight a real war, against a real enemy.

You guys are incredible. In what way was he being a cry baby? The cockpit is very cramped compared to the Spit and the canopy is dangerous in a crash situation with very poor visibility. He said he would much RATHER go to war in a Spit which is a perfectly reasonable argument given these issues.

He isn't saying the 109 is a hopeless war machine - just that he'd rather have more room, much better visibility and a better chance of surviving a ground flip if the choice was his to make. You can't argue with the facts.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Approved Member

Well I shall put it this way, after watching the 109 video the word "Small" still echoes in my brain.