Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 06-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze-Jamz View Post
We have emergency power?
I think he's refering to boost cut-out which allows for higher rpm.
Clickable red plate at top of throttle.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwiatek View Post
Well how do you know that 109E should be faster and better climber then Spit MK1?

I think rather that SPitfire MK1 (100 octan fuel) at low to medium alts was faster plane and with similar climb rate at emergency power.
I don't know where you 'd got those curves but it remind me some plastic surgery.

Hve a close look at the poor Hurri that reach it's terminal velocity at level flight ..

Last edited by TomcatViP; 06-23-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Approved Member

All these data are from real life data original documents.

As you see chart is original from flight test for SPit MK1 ( 100 octan) then i put there speed chart for Hurricane MK1 +12 lbs also from real life test ( spitfireperformacne site) and data for 109 E-3 is from original German manual ( best score i have seen for 109 E at 1.45 Ata ( 1 minute emergency power) - 0 -500 km/h, 570 km/h at 5 km).

All is here in these topic - it is enough to read it carefully

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=20110
Old 06-24-2011, 02:38 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehawk View Post
Just to add to Blackdog's explanation, although you get the most engine hp at the higher rpm, you actually want the engine to have some room to "pull up" to its hp peak. Again, to use a car analogy, if you are already redlining it in 3rd gear, you can get more speed by dropping the rpm back into a lower part of the powerband by shifting to 4th.

In 109 terms, as you approach the 2500 mark of the rpm, you need to give it a coarser pitch so the engine can again work its way back up to its max rpm. I try to keep the rpm around 2300-2400 where I have room to increase or decrease my speed/rpm's and yet stay withing the 2100-2500 rpm powerband. If I'm cruising, I stay on the low end, if I know I need to increase speed/energy (in a climb or exiting a turn for instance), I'll let it hover on the high end, and back the pitch up when it hits 25-2600.
Yup, that's also a good practice to follow.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Approved Member

Flew a Bf109 on the REPKA Server after a long time...

It appeared somewhat strange to me (compared to the Spitfire Ia I usualy fly), when the water cooler was damaged engine vibrations started.

Engine vibrations were shaking the plane so violently that I could no longer aim and shoot properly.

I do not recall having experience to such extend the same in the Spitfire.

Has anybody noticed similar behaviour between the two planes?

~S~
Old 06-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335th_GRAthos View Post
Flew a Bf109 on the REPKA Server after a long time...

It appeared somewhat strange to me (compared to the Spitfire Ia I usualy fly), when the water cooler was damaged engine vibrations started.

Engine vibrations were shaking the plane so violently that I could no longer aim and shoot properly.

I do not recall having experience to such extend the same in the Spitfire.

Has anybody noticed similar behaviour between the two planes?

~S~
You don't get vibrations from damaging the water cooler mate or at least I've never had it... youve obviously overcooked the engine which does cause vibrations just like in a Spit
Old 06-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Approved Member

Thanks Ze-Jamz,

It was the first time after weeks flying a Bf109 so I probably you are right.

Maybe the Spitfire (I fly mostly the Ia) has the same kind of violent vibrations as well, I do not know, maybe I have not "cooked" a Spit engine until now, you can not do it by overheating the water system (probably it is a bug; I posted it).
The best case I had was "overcooking" a Spit engine by flying too long at max throttle, oil temp exceeded the limit and got a "grosvenor failure" message but even then there were no serious vibrations either...

Of course it can be due to my superior knowledge and flying skill supremacy when in a Spit or, the abesimal skills and native inferiority of the Bf109 noobs who are trying to cause damage to my superior machine that I never experienced the same kind of vibrations when flying Spitfires.... (just joking )

Anyway, I just mentioned it here, it was the first thing that I noticed taking a Bf109 (besides this horrible gunsight aiming disturbance).

~S~

PS. Thank God they fixed the propeller change speed, the Bf109 can do some serious B&Z now

Last edited by 335th_GRAthos; 06-24-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335th_GRAthos View Post
Thanks Ze-Jamz,

PS. Thank God they fixed the propeller change speed, the Bf109 can do some serious B&Z now
Really ? When ?
Old 06-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatViP View Post
Really ? When ?
after beta
Old 06-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Approved Member

With the beta patch, the prop changes much faster than before