Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 06-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvrdi View Post
hahah Winger...maybe you was talking about DRI?
Everyone know that all ROF planes a pure farce and pro allied Discuss discuss discuss
I wonder what the FM rework in ROF will bring when it will EVER happen

Winger
Old 06-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger View Post
EDIT: Ze-Jamz no i dont mean it. I just do this post because i feel like calling people like you on the plan to make crappy comments. SUCCESS!
Dont write such tripe then and I wont be forced to entertain you..simples

theres enough stuff that needs to be addressed and that the devs take note on..that isnt one of them
Old 06-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Approved Member

My daddy told me to never blame the plane that's too easy. It can't defend itself. It's always the person at the controls.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Approved Member

One of the virtues of good fighter pilots is and was : patience!
If you are not in a good position to attack, extend and get the position.
If you have to hurry to reach something -> first fault!
That doesn't disregard fast reactions, but a good fighter pilot acts and forces his type of fight to the enemy.

Not that i fly like this, ok, maybe sometimes a little bit
Old 06-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Approved Member

Well I just had some good dogfights on Repka #1 (full real) flying the 109 and have had no trouble using energy tactics against either spit1s or hurris.

As any 109 pilot ought to know, the key is to stay fast and always maintain an E advantage. Use the vertical, not the horizontal.

Robtek is correct that patience is key.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:38 AM
Approved Member

I'm suspecting it's prop pitch management but i can't be sure until you tell me what kind of RPM you were using during different stages of the fight.

As a rough pointer:

Go to a coarser pitch (lower RPM) during dives and you'll pick up speed much easier, then start adjusting towards fine pitch during the climb back up.

I usually adjust pitch to maintain about 2000-2100 RPM when diving and it picks up speed really fast. On the other hand, i only use finer pitch in a dive when i actually want to prevent it from picking up speed.

Diving with your RPM at 2500 is like driving downhill on 3rd gear, it will go faster if you switch to 5th gear (going to coarser pitch)

The useful powerband is of course pretty limited (2000-2500 RPM) and getting used to how much RPM you need for a given attitude and airspeed range takes some time getting used to, but it's definitely doable. You just don't get the performance for free anymore like we could in IL2:1946.

I don't fly online yet until some more bugs get squashed and we get some form of quality control for mods, but i have no problem almost rear-ending even the AI that many people constantly complain about its exaggerated performance, to the point that i've now set my cannon convergence to 100 meters and i would set it even lower if i could
The only thing that outruns me is AI Spit Mk.IIs and that's because it's the aircraft with the closest to real life performance in the sim, while most of the rest are a bit slower than they should be.

Heck, i can close in on AI Hurricanes and Spit Mk.Is with a 110 in a climbing contest if am careful. You just need to familiarize yourself with how prop pitch works and flying a few free flight and quick combat missions in the QMB is the quickest and easiest way.

I just pretend i'm driving a manual transmission car and act accordingly:
climb/dive = uphill/downhill driving
high RPM = low gear
low RPM = high gear

Hope it helps
Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger View Post
Well, now we have what i expected from day one. A 109 that cant do XXXX against spitfires. Even Spitfire Ias. Pre patch it was able to outclimb the spit by a good margin therefore compensated for its sucky turnrate. now i can hardly outclimb and hardly outspeed a spitfire 1 in my 109 not even with perfect pitch management. GOOD job now the game is TOTALLY dead for me! Well done!

Winger
Well how do you know that 109E should be faster and better climber then Spit MK1?

I think rather that SPitfire MK1 (100 octan fuel) at low to medium alts was faster plane and with similar climb rate at emergency power.

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 06-28-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDoggles View Post
Well I just had some good dogfights on Repka #1 (full real) flying the 109 and have had no trouble using energy tactics against either spit1s or hurris.

As any 109 pilot ought to know, the key is to stay fast and always maintain an E advantage. Use the vertical, not the horizontal.

Robtek is correct that patience is key.
I read this in Messerschmitt 109 - myths, facts and the view from the cockpit page:

"
Me 109 E:
"Performance by 1940 standards was good. When put into a full throttle climb at low air speeds, the airplane climbed at a very steep angle, and our fighters used to have difficulty in keeping their sights on the enemy even when at such a height that their rates of climb were comparible. This steep climb at low air speed was one of the standard evasion maneuvres used by the German pilots. Another was to push the stick forward abruptly and bunt into a dive with considerable negative 'g'. The importance of arranging that the engine whould not cut under these circumstances cannot be over-stressed. Speed is picked up quickly in a dive, and if being attacked by an airplane of slightly inferior level performance, this feature can be used with advantage to get out of range. There is no doubt that in the autumn of 1940 the Bf.109E in spite of its faults, was a doughty opponent to set against our own equipment."
- RAF Royal Aircraft Establishment (RAE) Farnborough handling trials,Bf.109E Wn: 1304. M.B. Morgan and R. Smelt of the RAE, 1944.
"

I quoted this because this works in the game, not only BnZ

i7 7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB Ram 3GHz, MSI GTX 1070 8GB, 27' 1920x1080, W10/64, TrackIR 4Pro, G940
Cliffs of Dover Bugtracker site: share and vote issues here
Old 06-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwiatek View Post
Well how do you know that 109E should be faster and better climber then Spit MK1?

I think rather that SPitfire MK1 (100 octan fuel) at low to medium alts was faster plane and with similar climb rate at emergency power.

We have emergency power?
Old 06-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Approved Member

Just to add on diving; coarse pitch is preferable or the engine might overheat in an extended highspeed dive.