Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:33 PM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by addman View Post
Good post Speculum and I agree, the banana is a separate entity all together from the rest of the sim community. Like an isolated island where animals have developed "differently" from species found on major continents. Oh! also regarding my post you mentioned at the end there, it's the second time I've had to explain I was being sarcastic, I guess sarcasm doesn't translate so well onto internet forums eh?
It's just such a perfect quote. I couldn't help but use it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbs View Post
My sqd mates agree, we have all brought CLOD but dont play it, we all WANT to play but the non existent BOB content and problems are just too much trouble and were not really interested in DFS's, we want online wars and COOP's.

Were all waiting for CLOD to become a BOB simulation, at the moment its just not, its a online small number, low level engagement over the sea, with BOB planes.
Exactly! Even trying the single-player campaign feels like a random quick mission against the AI. There is nothing to draw me in or hold my attention. As for online dogfights, once you've been jumped by a plane flying through trees, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

The fans that would make this game a success, critical and financial are begging for some manner of SEOW, an online war, anything that makes every aircraft that you lose/shoot down matter. That's what this game and community is asking for. People say, "pffft! Go back to your FPS". Right now CLOD online is a first person shooter! Hop into a random battle, last one standing wins! There is no tracking of info, no difference made to the overall picture if you do well or not, just a score card while the next random dogfight loads.

Last edited by speculum jockey; 04-12-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Approved Member

What has everyone got against fence posts anyway..? Had an unfortunate accident a few years ago maybe?

Seriously though (or as seriously as I can muster over this) anyone who can't understand that the point was not about fence posts but about the overall effect created in producing a realistic looking Russian village (in a thread that specifically asked for feedback about realistic Russian villages) is either pretty thick or has spent so much time being a professional cynical old fart they no longer know how to be anything else.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:53 PM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo65 View Post
What has everyone got against fence posts anyway..? Had an unfortunate accident a few years ago maybe?

Seriously though (or as seriously as I can muster over this) anyone who can't understand that the point was not about fence posts but about the overall effect created in producing a realistic looking Russian village (in a thread that specifically asked for feedback about realistic Russian villages) is either pretty thick or has spent so much time being a professional cynical old fart they no longer know how to be anything else.
I forgot to add that to the list,

6. "Ways the Devs distract their fans with inconsequential garbage from the fact that CLOD will never be finished." (the game, not the engine).
Old 04-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
Unfortunately if the problem was consistent accross all systems then it would be easier to isolate and fix. Intermittent or non consistent errors are exponentially harder to find and correct.

For ages I had issues with the original IL-2, ROF, Call of Duty and a-10 crashing to desktop and it ended up being a CODEC setting for FFDShow. Putting my games on an exclusion list and it solved the problem.

Touch wood, I'm haven't had the CTD issue in CoD
I Have not had CTD problems with those other games and I have run them on several different systems over the years.

I have had 2 hour flights in custom Scripted COOP missions in COD but that is rare. That was hosting in MP but noone joined, so I was by myself although in MP mode. When our squad does hook up with 3 or 4 others in MP, The CTD is inevitable 30 minutes in...almost every time for me. A little less frequent for my squad mates, but it happens eventually.

BTW for the majority...we should not have to restart COD after every mission.... If there are truly some out there that have no CTD issues with COD... That is just wonderful and amazing...but hard to believe.

ffdshow? The below description is from their site....

"ffdshow tryouts picked up where ffdshow left off and is a DirectShow and Video for Windows codec with support for a wide range of audio and video formats, such as Xvid, DivX, and H.264. It includes a powerful filter set that can enhance the video quality - with filters for resizing, deinterlacing, and displaying subtitles - as well as audio quality through normalization, down-/upmixing, and resampling."

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

I have never tried this. Maybe there is something to it?

I have also been trying out Game Booster 3 from iobit lately with mixed results...needs more testing. It cannot hurt to free up your resources.

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

IMHO...we should not have to jump through hoops to try to make this Sim work. But we do try...because we want it to.

Meanwhile...still waiting for the "patch of the Future" to see where it puts COD.

Last edited by MegOhm; 04-12-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speculum jockey View Post
Then again they're not the kind of people to "scream like a little girl" when they see the window framss in the new buildings.
OK, I did not like this update at all. Showing manable tanks in action is very different from showing a group of countryside houses.

Then again I didn`t go on a 13 page rampage to tell the devs how I feel about it.

Last edited by carguy_; 04-13-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbs View Post
My sqd mates agree, we have all brought CLOD but dont play it, we all WANT to play but the non existent BOB content and problems are just too much trouble and were not really interested in DFS's, we want online wars and COOP's.
Excellent. I believe online squads mainly look for coops and I hope that the devs will get the message.

Although as soon as the worthy patch comes out, and the words about CloD being worthy aswell spreads, I`m sure it will pick up pretty quickly on popularity. We can criticize CloD but we shouldn`t deny that there are pretty many people waiting for the real thing to happen.

And although I find comparing CloD to Duke Nukem Forever outrageous, I can`t help but feel the similar taste of disappointment.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Tree_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy_ View Post
Excellent. I believe online squads mainly look for coops and I hope that the devs will get the message.

Although as soon as the worthy patch comes out, and the words about CloD being worthy aswell spreads, I`m sure it will pick up pretty quickly on popularity. We can criticize CloD but we shouldn`t deny that there are pretty many people waiting for the real thing to happen.

And although I find comparing CloD to Duke Nukem Forever outrageous, I can`t help but feel the similar taste of disappointment.
I think your right, I still firmly believe that if the product is fixed all the nonsense and bull crap that as happened since release will soon be forgotton. It doesn't matter what side of the fence you are currently on the mass majority simply want to enjoy this product and if its fixed the news will spread very quick.

S!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Approved Member

with the game working and co-ops, word would spread like wildfire.