Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 07-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Approved Member

Some charts to prove it maybe?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Sternjaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy_ View Post
Some charts to prove it maybe?
hehehehe even better, I can suggest books

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-A...0035029&sr=8-1

or, just to make it easier (for some of our thicker forum members..)

http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Dummie...0035004&sr=8-1

If you want an empirical demonstration of what I'm saying, get yourself a cooling fan and a matchstick. The fan will simulate the slipstream of the propeller and the matchstick will be your puff of smoke.. light the matchstick, put it in the slipstream of the fan and see how long the smoke lingers..
Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Approved Member

I can't quite believe this thread has reached three pages... O.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Approved Member

Oh gawd is this still going ............
Old 07-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger View Post
I'm sorry but I disagree mate. Smoke shouldn't linger because the laws of physics say otherwise. As for the troll issue, I believe you're defending one on this stand.
Smoke doesn't just disappear, it will dissipate but smoothly. Obviously, at the speed the planes are travelling, you probably won't be in a position to notce this process, but this is not the case in CloD.
Just watch any gun-cam videos, and one can see the smoke which comes out from an A/C when hit comes out smoothly. It doesn't just appear and then disappear. This should be a relatively easy fix, it's not something major (unless the damage effects in-game are not future-proofed).

I'm not bothered if the OP has trolled before. I saw the other topic and laughed, but despite the phrasing here, what he is pointing out is an issue that was in the original Il-2, and is clearly in CloD, too.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Sternjaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.ed View Post
Smoke doesn't just disappear, it will dissipate but smoothly. Obviously, at the speed the planes are travelling, you probably won't be in a position to notce this process, but this is not the case in CloD.
Just watch any gun-cam videos, and one can see the smoke which comes out from an A/C when hit comes out smoothly. It doesn't just appear and then disappear. This should be a relatively easy fix, it's not something major (unless the damage effects in-game are not future-proofed).

I'm not bothered if the OP has trolled before. I saw the other topic and laughed, but despite the phrasing here, what he is pointing out is an issue that was in the original Il-2, and is clearly in CloD, too.
Fair enough. Can you please link me to any guncamera footage that shows the hits and smoke? Mind you though, I would need it from .303 armed planes and MG/FF armed ones.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Approved Member

not too hard to find by yourself, TBH Obviously effects like the smoke vortex are complex to model, but it shows the general idea.
This applies to all smoke, BTW. Notice that when an A/C crahses in CloD, some of the smoke disappears very quickly.