Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Approved Member

LOL
Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Approved Member

I TOLD ALL OF YOUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!
About DX11 - I said they should tesselate terrain, and that is what it would be good for (aswell as buildings). Everyone dismissed me, said I was not correct, said it would not work, or said it was a waste of time.
I also said Direct compute for water, for flight models and particle physics. I said it over and over again. Posted videos. Got flamed for it and dismissed.

So kiss my rear exaust jet while I leave you in the exhaust/gas trail - quote:

"PCGH: What do you think are the general benefits of the DX11 available with shader model 5?
Oleg Maddox: Wir sind von vielen DX11-Features angetan, und hier ganz besonders von der Tessellierung für die Landschaftsdarstellung sowie DX Compute für die Berechnung des Flugmodells und anderen rechenintensiven Systemen. Oleg Maddox: We are pleased with many DX11 features, and here in particular of the tessellation for the representation of landscape and DX Compute to calculate the flight model and other compute-intensive systems."

"PCGH: And what DX11 feature would benefit most-2 Sturmovik IL?

Oleg Maddox: Wahrscheinlich von DX Compute und dem Multi-Threading-Support der API. Oleg Maddox: Probably from DX computer and multi-threading support of the API.
PCGH: Würde der Einsatz von DX11 den dann nur die Performance beim Rendering beschleunigen oder sorgt DX11 auch für eine deutliche Aufwertung der Optik? PCGH: Would the use of DX11 will only accelerate the performance when rendering or DX11 provides for a clear appreciation of the optics?
Oleg Maddox: Beide Aspekte sind sehr wichtig. Oleg Maddox: Both aspects are very important. Zum einen ist eine verbesserte Performance hilfreich. First, an improved performance is helpful. Zum anderen planen wir, die Landschaft per Tesselation optisch aufzuwerten und Post-Effekte wie einen Local Tonemap Operator oder High Qualitiy Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (HQSSAO) einzusetzen. Second, we plan to enhance the landscape visually by tessellation and post-effects such as a Local Tonemap operator or high Qualitiy Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (HQSSAO) use."

Over that I also said they should focus more on DX11 over 10 because 11 with 64bit has a much easier pipeline to program for with multiple threads and shader pipelines which would increase performance in DX11 for quality far above dx10 and 9 while being easier to program for. Again got flamed for that too. Vindication rocks!

Only thing that worries me is they said they tried to give it fps quality at ground level... well of thats great but I would rather have AA in the cockpit and not horrible LOD popping everywhere in exchange for slightly less minute ground detail you wont notice (which seems to be lacking anyway). Even when people yelled me down by saying the only thing they would tesselate would be things like landing gear tires, or other minor ground objects - I said thats absurd and a waste of time, they should use tesselation for land, direct compute for physics and particle modeling and dx11 for efficient pipelines and development. While I was wrong about dx11 coming in the release (obviously) all my main points so far have been justified with the exception of lighting and cloud effects which will probably match what I said earlier when the full weather system is implemented (and dx11). Same thing when I had many big arguments over multi threading and many members kept telling me it would not be multi threaded (or would not use more than 2 threads). Same thing again about market share, I argued that 4 cores and 64bit dx11 was going to make massive market gains this year, a few weeks after that the argument flared again and we got the steam stats up which backed exactly what I said, and continue to do so.

Last week there was an argument in the thread I posted about GDC 2011 dx11 graphics and why consoles have stiffled innovation in graphics on the PC. Again flamed (because I said consoles use shader model 2, then got insulted by Nov who said I didnt know anything and that consoles use dx9 and everyone knows that! I had to point out to him that dx9 uses shader model 2...) That thread dissapeared (admins I imagine). This forum is too much of a echo room...

-posts from last year:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...687#post207687
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...650#post207650
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...t=18379&page=2
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...565#post218565

Last edited by Heliocon; 03-12-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Approved Member

I don't know who told you that DX11 is a bad idea but Oleg also mentioned that DX11 will be implemented in future patches. Some months ago, it was stated that the game will be released with DX11, but my guess is that they'll use the first two weeks or first month after release to thread the waters a bit. Before they release an update.

After all, the testing isn't a done deal just because the game is released.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Tree_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliocon View Post
I TOLD ALL OF YOUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!
About DX11 - I said they should tesselate terrain, and that is what it would be good for (aswell as buildings). Everyone dismissed me, said I was not correct, said it would not work, or said it was a waste of time.
I also said Direct compute for water, for flight models and particle physics. I said it over and over again. Posted videos. Got flamed for it and dismissed.

So kiss my rear exaust jet while I leave you in the exhaust/gas trail - quote:

"PCGH: What do you think are the general benefits of the DX11 available with shader model 5?
Oleg Maddox: Wir sind von vielen DX11-Features angetan, und hier ganz besonders von der Tessellierung für die Landschaftsdarstellung sowie DX Compute für die Berechnung des Flugmodells und anderen rechenintensiven Systemen. Oleg Maddox: We are pleased with many DX11 features, and here in particular of the tessellation for the representation of landscape and DX Compute to calculate the flight model and other compute-intensive systems."

Over that I also said they should focus more on DX11 over 10 because 11 with 64bit has a much easier pipeline to program for with multiple threads and shader pipelines which would increase performance in DX11 for quality far above dx10 and 9 while being easier to program for. Again got flamed for that too. Vindication rocks!

Only thing that worries me is they said they tried to give it fps quality at ground level... well of thats great but I would rather have AA in the cockpit and not horrible LOD popping everywhere in exchange for slightly less minute ground detail you wont notice (which seems to be lacking anyway). Even when people yelled me down by saying the only thing they would tesselate would be things like landing gear tires, or other minor ground objects - I said thats absurd and a waste of time, they should use tesselation for land, direct compute for physics and particle modeling and dx11 for efficient pipelines and development. While I was wrong about dx11 coming in the release (obviously) all my main points so far have been justified with the exception of lighting and cloud effects which will probably match what I said earlier when the full weather system is implemented (and dx11). Same thing when I had many big arguments over multi threading and many members kept telling me it would not be multi threaded (or would not use more than 2 threads). Same thing again about market share, I argued that 4 cores and 64bit dx11 was going to make massive market gains this year, a few weeks after that the argument flared again and we got the steam stats up which backed exactly what I said, and continue to do so.

Last week there was an argument in the thread I posted about GDC 2011 dx11 graphics and why consoles have stiffled innovation in graphics on the PC. Again flamed (because I said consoles use shader model 2, then got insulted by Nov who said I didnt know anything and that consoles use dx9 and everyone knows that! I had to point out to him that dx9 uses shader model 2...) That thread dissapeared (admins I imagine). This forum is too much of a echo room...

-posts from last year:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...687#post207687
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...650#post207650
You did indeed mate, you was 100% correct, big egg on the faces of all the know alls.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Approved Member

Thanks Heliocon for the longest 'I told you so!' I've ever read

I'd just like to correct one thing - when you say "Everyone dismissed me, said I was not correct, said it would not work, or said it was a waste of time.", I'd just like to point out that I, in fact, didn't. (I know my limits )

Incidentally - a bit of 'mad scientist' laughter effect after that paragraph would work really well.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Hecke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
Oleg states in the interview that hyperthreading is being used...
I fail to find the part, could you please help me out with that. I would appreciate that.
Or does Hybrid-Multi-Thread-System stand for Hyperthreading technology used by "sandy bitches" p.e. ?

If it indeed does use Hyperthreading then the 2600k should be best for CoD ...

Last edited by Hecke; 03-12-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo65 View Post
Thanks Heliocon for the longest 'I told you so!' I've ever read

I'd just like to correct one thing - when you say "Everyone dismissed me, said I was not correct, said it would not work, or said it was a waste of time.", I'd just like to point out that I, in fact, didn't. (I know my limits )

Incidentally - a bit of 'mad scientist' laughter effect after that paragraph would work really well.
I had a nerdgasm when I read the quotes, so I just started typing frantically as fast as I could yelling "I told you so (well kinda)" at the monitor (who was very scared and decided not to reply).

I think I I got it all out now though, feel really mellow, I think my life's journey is complete, and soon I will ascend in a (dx10 renderd) spitfire into the sky to fly around without a worry in the world and live happily ever after.
-The end (feel free to fill this in).

-DAMNIT HECKE, you had to post just before I did. Thanks alot man o.-

Last edited by Heliocon; 03-12-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Approved Member

hybrid multi-threaded<<< this stuck out for me so i decided to see what that was (wasn't sure if it was true multi thread)

and i found this...not sure oleg was talking about Petaplops 100ghz CPU'S are coming ...soon

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/hpcc/petaflop...htmt/htmt.html
Old 03-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee_oddball View Post
hybrid multi-threaded<<< this stuck out for me so i decided to see what that was (wasn't sure if it was true multi thread)

and i found this...not sure oleg was talking about Petaplops 100ghz CPU'S are coming ...soon

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/hpcc/petaflop...htmt/htmt.html

Yep, I currently have a x955 oc'ed to 3.6, 8 gig corsair 1600 ram and a gtx 295 which i put together in January 2009, will resist upgrading anything unless its completely nessesary and plan on a new build in a couple of years, even at the cost of visuals in the near term. Was thinking of a new build when the bulldozer cpu's are released later this year but will hold off.
Seems whenever I do build something new it goes out of date the following week
Old 03-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Hecke

Not sure if I was clear, but I mean the hardware hyperthreading, which could make the i7 2600k worth it's 100 buccs more.