Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speculum jockey View Post
They're tracers, but the very first thing when I thought of when I looked at that screen shot was this. . . .

Hopefully they'll get that ironed out so that it isn't perfectly synched all the time. After a second of of firing the tracers would be closer to alternating than perfectly lined up on each side.
Nice edit but have you ever seen a still shot of a tracer? They actually look like this as the bullet moves a few meters in the 1/125 of a second the shutter is open Do the maths yourself... Suppose a camera shutter speed of 1/125 and and bullet speed of about 800 m/s for a .303... 800/125 = 6,4 metres... Yepp - those lasers look like they are something like that...

In a movie I'm sure they will look OK (I hope!)
Old 09-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speculum jockey View Post
They're tracers, but the very first thing when I thought of when I looked at that screen shot was this. . . .

(Some stupid composite image to prove the poster can use photoshop)

Hopefully they'll get that ironed out so that it isn't perfectly synched all the time. After a second of of firing the tracers would be closer to alternating than perfectly lined up on each side.
First the tracers are not perfectly synched. If you look closer you'll see that.
Two. The tracers are not texture based from what i understand. They are GENERATED by the lighting engine. The tracer is nothing but a small flame at the end of the bullet. You move the bullet fast trough the air the eye can't keep up with the speed and that's why you see the tracer as a line. Straight line. You'll have the same effect in the game, where the lengh of the tracer is dependant on shutter speed and lighting conditions. This kind of effect is best seen in a dynamic way (in a movie).

So until you post this kind of juvenile images next time, have this:

Last edited by Jaws2002; 09-24-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:38 PM
speculum jockey

I know what tracers look like, I've posted a few vids in another thread. It's not how they look, it's that they look really fake when they are perfectly lined up beside each other. MG's will not sync up like that, but every pic I've seen of them have them lines up in pairs like a tie-fighter from star wars.

It's not that they look like lasers, it's that they are moving in perfect pairs.

MG's do not stay in synch since there will always be one that starts firing first, or one that has a slightly higher rate of fire.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazex View Post
Nice edit but have you ever seen a still shot of a tracer? They actually look like this as the bullet moves a few meters in the 1/125 of a second the shutter is open Do the maths yourself... Suppose a camera shutter speed of 1/125 and and bullet speed of about 800 m/s for a .303... 800/125 = 6,4 metres... Yepp - those lasers look like they are something like that...

In a movie I'm sure they will look OK (I hope!)
unless those are indeed lasers, you'll have to add the speed of the airplane which is firing them.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
I can't say to other people what is important and what isn't, everyone has their own preferences.

What i would like to see however is some balance in it all. Nitpicking members and rivet coutners are a valuable resource, believe it or not. They will spot the mistakes first and they will campaign to get them fixed. They should be allowed to say their piece. On the other hand, i don't expect small details to take precedence over bigger ones.

For example, i too saw the duplicated serial numbers on the guns, it's hard to miss since it's stamped on such a prominent part of the gun. However, this won't break the game for me. What would break the game then?

Well, if we only had 4 flyable aircraft and less than 10 in total, that would break the game because they would be insufficient to render the battle of Britain accurately, but luckily we'll be getting more than 10 flyables and who knows how much more AI.

If we didn't have ground units to populate the environment, that would break the game for me because the game's world would be lifeless. However, for months and years during past development updates all we saw was ground vehicles, flak batteries, sound spotting stations and ships. The game world seems to be bursting at the seams with "supporting actors". So, no harm done there either.

If we didn't have an evolution and a step-up from IL2 in FM, DM, aircraft systems modelling and support for the interfaces to control them, i would be seriously disappointed. But, we've been told we're getting all of that, so this is also covered.

What about the small details then? I won't lie, i'd like to see every little bit. It's just that it won't ruin the experience for me if the trim tabs are a bit bigger or the serial numbers on the guns are all the same. I still consider them very important details, just not game breaking. That doesn't mean i don't welcome it when people spot the small mistakes here and there.

I think the best course of action would be to separate our requests into categories. If the guns don't fire under the player's control then we have a top priority issue. If they work fine, are modelled correctly and they only need a few details to touch up, it's something that can be done in a patch.

In any case, it seems like it won't be too long until this baby hits the shelves, so we're about to get hands-on experience at last.

Oh boy, that's when the real whining will commence:
"My plane handles so weird compared to IL2, i wanted more realism but now i can't fly, where does all this torque come from?"
"My engine keeps quitting, what did i do wrong?"
"My guns won't fire when i fly at high altitudes, what's wrong with them?"

Not to mention the FM debates...sometimes i feel sorry for the development team
All of THIS!

I must also say that after seeing the shots of ground vehicles, I want to dust off my BF 1942 tanker skillz and have some land battles . I'll never see the marking from the air as I whiz by, but I could see myself trying to out-maneuver a Panzer hiding behind a hedge row! Yeah, those vehicle shots are that good, very inspiring.

I see all sorts of piloting tests in this sim. Not just yank and bank, but a real understanding of flying an airplane being needed.

Color me excited.

Splitter
Old 09-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

I have one suggestion. I think that when your sitting in the cockpit you should be able to look down and see the pilots legs, feet, right arm with hand on stick and left arm with hand on throttle.

It's just not right to look down & see nothing. Am I right?

Great update by the way!
Old 09-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Approved Member

Very nice update, some awesome features shown.

Grass and trees are coming along, but both of these feautures IMO need tweaking for how they look from a distance. Anyways, this is just a small incy-wincy knit-pick.

Thanks for the comments as well Oleg. It's looking like the start of Il-2 again; a sim that set so many standards and just got better and better. Considering the amount of new features added to Il-2, I can't imagine what new features could appear for SoW....
Old 09-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Approved Member

Fine update, amazing pictures!

Thanks for the "I would like to say very important things" commentary, Oleg. Very, very interesting and encouraging.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:06 PM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws2002 View Post
First the tracers are not perfectly synched. If you look closer you'll see that.
Two. The tracers are not texture based from what i understand. They are GENERATED by the lighting engine. The tracer is nothing but a small flame at the end of the bullet. You move the bullet fast trough the air the eye can't keep up with the speed and that's why you see the tracer as a line. Straight line. You'll have the same effect in the game, where the lengh of the tracer is dependant on shutter speed and lighting conditions. This kind of effect is best seen in a dynamic way (in a movie).

So until you post this kind of juvenile images next time, have this:

You know, there are a lot of people out there who can help you with your aspergers. The sooner you seek treatment the more they can do for you.

Here is my opinion on tracers, first post of this page, go to the second line before the first video and start reading. Please read it first.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...racers&page=19

At no point did I say the tracers do not look right from a lighting point of view (although that could be inferred from the pic I posted). Below the picture in my first post I stated it was the pairing/spacing/synchronizing that looked unrealistic, and something I stand by.

Hope you didn't give yourself a stroke from all that pent up rage.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Old_Canuck

Default trouble at home

Oleg, we are a troublesome group of people at times but we are almost like a family after all these years thanks to your open communication with us. If you have troubles "at home" that, Sir, is your top priority. I will be praying for things to get better in your home life.