PDA

View Full Version : Damage Model Specifics?

Wehrwulf
07-08-2009, 03:30 PM
I was wondering, how easy (or difficult) will it be to gun down your oppenents? Once you have a plane lined up in your sights (I guess results will vary depending on if you're using pitiful little 7.62mm's or 30mms) how much fire will it take to bring it down? Once again, another variable is what plane you're using, but in general, how hard will it be? Will it vary for sim and arcade modes? Since there is damage modeling you should theoretically be able to see all the holes you're pumping in to a plane, but I guess I haven't seen a whole lot of videos. I have played all of the combat flight simulator games and it is pretty insane how much fire some planes can take. Not a veteran of IL2, i am unsure. If anyone would like to answer amy staggering amount of questions, feel free. :grin:

Douglas Bader
07-08-2009, 10:47 PM
I was wondering, how easy (or difficult) will it be to gun down your oppenents? Once you have a plane lined up in your sights (I guess results will vary depending on if you're using pitiful little 7.62mm's or 30mms) how much fire will it take to bring it down? Once again, another variable is what plane you're using, but in general, how hard will it be? Will it vary for sim and arcade modes? Since there is damage modeling you should theoretically be able to see all the holes you're pumping in to a plane, but I guess I haven't seen a whole lot of videos. I have played all of the combat flight simulator games and it is pretty insane how much fire some planes can take. Not a veteran of IL2, i am unsure. If anyone would like to answer amy staggering amount of questions, feel free. :grin:

It's the skill that makes the kill, I guess. One bullet in the cooler can be enough. So is one between the eyes....;)

Wehrwulf
07-09-2009, 01:22 AM
Now that you say it, I guess Anton was talking a little about cockpit damage. Can the pilot be targeted? That would be something that could affect multiplayer...

Spitfire23
07-09-2009, 02:25 AM
Now that you say it, I guess Anton was talking a little about cockpit damage. Can the pilot be targeted? That would be something that could affect multiplayer...

I think the pilot can be hit because i remember Anton saying there would be no blood in the cockpit because of the Game's Age rating therefore implying that you can kill the pilot just no blood.

But dont go on what i have said as it is just a guess and hasnt been confirmed (that i know of)

trk29
07-09-2009, 02:36 AM
I think the pilot can be hit because i remember Anton saying there would be no blood in the cockpit because of the Game's Age rating therefore implying that you can kill the pilot just no blood.

But dont go on what i have said as it is just a guess and hasnt been confirmed (that i know of)

I was going to say the exact opposite.:-P

Fight Night Round 4 has blood, and it's rated T for teen like IL2 BOP. I think this game should.:rolleyes:

The Few
07-09-2009, 04:09 AM

Fight Night Round 4 has blood, and it's rated T for teen like IL2 BOP. I think this game should.:rolleyes:

Me, too. Haha. :grin:

Mage_016
07-09-2009, 04:57 AM

Well, if you got hit by a bullet that can splash your blood around, I bet that you will die or get shocked almost instantly. So would you see it in real life too? But if you got hit at your arm or leg then it would make sense to see some blood or something in wound area. Hopefully you can understand what I'm writing here, I'm not.

trk29
07-09-2009, 05:58 AM
:-PYeah I do understand.

mondo
07-09-2009, 08:46 AM
In many cases you can find this information out from tests. On the IL2 boards a while back someone posted a British report on firing on a 190 from behind with various calibre rounds. Due to contruction and armour a direct .50 calibre round in the tail actually did very little!

FYI in IL2 visual damage is unrelated to actual damage. Damage in IL2 is hit boxes. So your radiators have hit boxes, guns have them, spars and other structural parts have them as does the pilot and things like oxygen tanks. Fuel tanks and self sealing mechanisms as well as lack of them was also modelled. The damage was dependent on the round and its velocity (which changes over distance).

Douglas Bader
07-09-2009, 09:42 AM
In many cases you can find this information out from tests. On the IL2 boards a while back someone posted a British report on firing on a 190 from behind with various calibre rounds. Due to contruction and armour a direct .50 calibre round in the tail actually did very little!

FYI in IL2 visual damage is unrelated to actual damage. Damage in IL2 is hit boxes. So your radiators have hit boxes, guns have them, spars and other structural parts have them as does the pilot and things like oxygen tanks. Fuel tanks and self sealing mechanisms as well as lack of them was also modelled. The damage was dependent on the round and its velocity (which changes over distance).

Thanks Mondo, this makes sense and i guess you are on track here.

mondo
07-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm only going on experiance from years and years of IL2 and being part of that community but it would make allot of sense to do something similar for BOP.

Wehrwulf
07-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Yes, that would make sense, but you said visual damage was not related to physical damage...so if someone blew a hole (physically) in your right wing tip, would it show up in the same spot on the wing every time? The middle of the wing or something?

LJ371
07-10-2009, 04:57 AM
Yes, that would make sense, but you said visual damage was not related to physical damage...so if someone blew a hole (physically) in your right wing tip, would it show up in the same spot on the wing every time? The middle of the wing or something?

I get the feeling that the damage in this will not truly represent where you put the rounds but will show damage as close to that designated area with a predetermined damage effect.
The only flight sim i ever played where the damage was true what you actually inflicted upon it, was B-17: Mighty Eighth. you could shot other b-17s in formation and watch the holes appear and see the sky through the other side. or shoot huge gaping chunks from the tail and see the other bombers through the airframe. That was about 8 years ago and the game was very ahead of its time much like il2, and sadly i have not seen damage like that since. hopefully i am wrong and BoP will take it to the next level.

mcgee1516
07-10-2009, 07:17 AM
I get the feeling that the damage in this will not truly represent where you put the rounds but will show damage as close to that designated area with a predetermined damage effect.
The only flight sim i ever played where the damage was true what you actually inflicted upon it, was B-17: Mighty Eighth. you could shot other b-17s in formation and watch the holes appear and see the sky through the other side. or shoot huge gaping chunks from the tail and see the other bombers through the airframe. That was about 8 years ago and the game was very ahead of its time much like il2, and sadly i have not seen damage like that since. hopefully i am wrong and BoP will take it to the next level.

True that, I remember how amazed I was by that game :)

mondo
07-10-2009, 11:32 AM

Its not related in the sense that if a 30mm shell hits a wing, there is no associated calculation that says the aluminium must behave a certain way and show this visibly. In IL2 if you get hit in the wing with a 30mm shell the visual damage will show a hole in the wing but it will be a model asset rather than a dynamic damage model.

That said, some aircraft in IL2 have very large variations in the possible damage you can inflict, especially the aircraft done in the last few years or those reworked, its not dynamic but its as good as. Look at it this way, most of the time your not looking at damage when looking at another plane, your looking through your gun sight or looking at it in your mirror trying to be evasive. Generally you only pick up on things like control surfaces shot off or dewinged or burning aircraft, you own damage is often more apparent due to lack of control surface, the need to trim the damage out or gauges showing something isn't right. Duel tank damage is dynamic however as all you have to do is show the fire effect.

In IL2 you get different levels of damage which are preset in the visual damage model (you can find images of these on the official ubi forums by searching). These are also there because of the LOD model has to represent these as you the view out.

I really suggest you all go and buy IL2 1946, play locked cockpit and you'll see for youselves.

Wehrwulf
07-10-2009, 01:27 PM
thanks a lot Mondo! I guess some of us know half of what we're saying...;)