PDA

View Full Version : Landinf AI planes

Lookaloft
01-31-2013, 10:04 AM
Gentlemen, good day to you
Tinkering with the misionbuilder I found some trouble in getting AI-planes savely back to their spawned places after landing on custom made bases. Mostly they crashed, kept on running or exploded on their spawnplaces. Besides good quality of the runway (levelness, grassbed, sufficient length) and averse winddirection it seems the windspeed also is an important factor. This was revealed in a testmission. After setting in the Mission Parameter under Flow the Average Speed on 25 (m/s) I got better results. Most of the AI-Spifires1 after touchdown now very nicely taxied to their spawnplaces, in this case their camouflaged netshelters.
For those who are interested I include my landingtest mission in this post.

Lookaloft

bolox
01-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Good job tree collision doesn't work:eek:

Yeah custom airfields are 'fun' - in that I don't think they were ever properly finished wrt the coding of how AI interact with them.

The reason I think you need a strong wind is the shortness of the runway you've used- the AI are running outside it before sufficiently slowed down to taxi and get 'confused'- unless their groundspeed is reduced by a strong wind as in your mission.

Something I've been messing with
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8jzx4zimlg21tfn

5./JG27.Farber
02-01-2013, 12:35 AM
25 m/s wind is 56MPH! :-P

Lookaloft
02-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Hi bolox, thanks for your response. Nice mission you added, please explain why you created two custom airfields with two 0-Airdrome-points on RAF Westhampnett.

bolox
02-10-2013, 12:44 PM
doing this from aphone- wont be home for a couple of weeks

basically adding a custom aerodrome without a runway 'fools' the game into performing a squad scramble. this is the only way ive worked out how to do this- and it can lead to hillarious results:-P planes pilling into hangars etc etc. careful choice and positioning of the custom aerodrome and choice of wind direction-planes always take off into wind.

i used 2 added aerodromes, 1 for each of the 2groups of planes. trying to add 2 groups to 1 airfield usually results in planes spawning on top of each other- ie a big bang and a hole in the ground:)

have fun experimenting