PDA

View Full Version : The Show Must Go On ....

Jumo211
11-13-2012, 12:43 AM
Never give up !
what looks like one small step for a combat flight community , might be a giant leap for CloD mankind ! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyP2M9YzggA

Liz Lemon
11-13-2012, 04:49 AM
If we could get a .msh extractor updated for COD then there is a lot that could be done with this game.

As far as I can tell there is little difference between the old IL2 .msh format and the new one.* Its fairly easy to get aircraft from il2 into COD with a few lines added to the .msh header. But without an extractor it makes things a bit less fun. The MS 406 in IL2 is nice, but the model needs some work to meet COD standards ;)

*my background is in 3d modelling. Thankfully I don't have to mess with programming on a day to day basis

CWMV
11-13-2012, 05:17 AM
alright! Bout time!

Jumo211
11-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Absolutely ! , extractor would be very nice , maybe TimQ will come to the rescue once again ; )
In the meantime I just thought why wait ? for what ? developers have said this is it for Cliffs of Dover , done .
I do sucks at retexturing especially with .dds otherwise I would have already retextured channel
map just to see if there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Have been reading guys would like to change ground textures , we need guys like Redko did textures
in IL-2 1946 , others would like to change aircraft decals , OK that's possible as well ,
some others would like to give it a go with tuning flight model like Kwiatek to reflect historic data
even further , it can be done .
I am interested in tunning effects like always , volumetric textures like SoilSplash.dds is
1.33 MB size with 11 layers , HeavySmoke.dds is 1.33 MB with 11 layers etc...imagine flying through it in
zoom in view with antialiasing set at 16x or even 32x ( if it works ) , = single digits FPS .
Every time there is ground explosion , soil splash etc.. these will eat alive tons of graphics cards unable
to process huge multiple of it all at the same time which is causing sudden pause and stutters .
( it happened in IL-2 1946 as well before editing textures and effects data )
I hope more guys will get involved trying to make CloD looking even better , better FPS by tuning textures
and effects data , cockpits retexturing or just smaller editing , whatever , I'll be happy for any progress
by anyone to make visual improvements , better play smoothness as when the time comes and extractor
will " pop out of nowhere " we can have already a lot of other stuff done which is available and accessible right now .
Just my $0.02 :mrgreen:

AbortedMan
11-14-2012, 01:08 AM
What you say sounds very promising and I'm optimisitic...but what is stopping people from ruining the online aspect of this game with edited flight models that give them an unstoppable advantage merely for their enjoyment?

Are there any server/client file checks in the game? Can any be added with the current iteration of scripting/modding? A simple "cheats detected on 'so-and-so's' client" flag during online games would probably alleviate a lot of this if people were vigilant enough.

From what I understand, Steam's VAC is not enabled and/or not effective in CloD's case, so I think it's up to the modders to come up with something.

Jumo211
11-15-2012, 12:16 PM
I thought one of the main reason developers chosen Steam application was
to prevent exactly that , on-line cheating , I have no idea if the VAC is
working or not , I am not going to mess up my Steam account but is it proven
already or not that VAC is not implemented ? did someone tried ?
If that's the case , online play is f....d up , hilarious !
If there is someone to blame for it , it would be the very developers , period .
It's not like I did opened FM pandora's box or something , I do feel for on-line
play community and I am not 15 years old looking for boosting ego by using edited FM on-line .
I just posted video which was meant for off-line play files editing and modding
at this point and if nothing else it's an eye opener for on-line folks if Steam VAC is not working .
I don't know what to say about the whole CloD situation , I don't see modders without
proper tools fixing Steam VAC code in CloD or whatever is necessary to protect on-line play ,
VAC must work or we're all screwed .
Oops !

s_goretsky
11-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Hi!
Great work!

Do you know if its possible to somehow fix the bug with mod when small caliber decals disappear after some litmit was reached? Here are details on this bug http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=77319&p=1904346&viewfull=1#post1904346

And if its possible to replace bugged mirror render with a static texture?

Mysticpuma
11-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Seriously, watching that video made me think just how easy the quick fixes have been to add and yet nearly two-years after release, barely any changes to the Graphics (other than removing features!).

Look at that sky (not 3d clouds), just the high altitude sky box texture. Makes a huge difference to the look already.

Good luck with your work chaps.

Cheers, MP

major_setback
11-16-2012, 10:24 PM
The introduction of bogus flight models. Just what we need :-(

Jumo211
11-16-2012, 10:30 PM
@ s_goretsky

Hello ,
not enough tools to get deeper in to small caliber decals disappearing issue ,
textures can be repainted for bullets hit decals but the timing settings
is likely hardcoded , still have not found it .
Will look in to mirror render bug if there is anything that can be done even if
just giving it static texture .

@ Mysticpuma ,

Hi Neil , I am so sorry for being out of order for quite some time since retiring
from IL-2 1946 , had to take a break , what a ride for few years of effects
madness ! :mrgreen:
Sad 4.09m version couldn't take more visual improvements , limit was tight .
Thank you , so happy you like high sky texture , indeed it is hard to tell from
real when looking at it in-game .
Will see how things are going , there is so much that can be edited it's overwhelming
thus far , most of it is graphics and visual/cosmetic but still it can make a difference .

Cheers,
Stanley :-)

CWMV
11-17-2012, 04:47 AM
The introduction of accurate flight models. Just what we need :)
Fixed for ya.

Jumo211
11-17-2012, 06:00 AM
Now that was a good one CWMV ! Thx :lol:

badatflyski
11-26-2012, 07:28 PM
...some others would like to give it a go with tuning flight model like Kwiatek to reflect historic data
even further

I love sarcasm, that make my evenning very good:grin::grin::grin:

Skoshi Tiger
11-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Dev's, Please do what ever you can to get VAC enabled as soon as possible!

Without some form of control there is no knowing what sort of abominations will start turning up!

fireflyerz
11-28-2012, 02:31 PM
waaaaaaaaaaaa , mummy :rolleyes:

Thee_oddball
12-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Absolutely ! , extractor would be very nice , maybe TimQ will come to the rescue once again ; )
In the meantime I just thought why wait ? for what ? developers have said this is it for Cliffs of Dover , done .
I do sucks at retexturing especially with .dds otherwise I would have already retextured channel
map just to see if there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Have been reading guys would like to change ground textures , we need guys like Redko did textures
in IL-2 1946 , others would like to change aircraft decals , OK that's possible as well ,
some others would like to give it a go with tuning flight model like Kwiatek to reflect historic data
even further , it can be done .
I am interested in tunning effects like always , volumetric textures like SoilSplash.dds is
1.33 MB size with 11 layers , HeavySmoke.dds is 1.33 MB with 11 layers etc...imagine flying through it in
zoom in view with antialiasing set at 16x or even 32x ( if it works ) , = single digits FPS .
Every time there is ground explosion , soil splash etc.. these will eat alive tons of graphics cards unable
to process huge multiple of it all at the same time which is causing sudden pause and stutters .
( it happened in IL-2 1946 as well before editing textures and effects data )
I hope more guys will get involved trying to make CloD looking even better , better FPS by tuning textures
and effects data , cockpits retexturing or just smaller editing , whatever , I'll be happy for any progress
by anyone to make visual improvements , better play smoothness as when the time comes and extractor
will " pop out of nowhere " we can have already a lot of other stuff done which is available and accessible right now .
Just my $0.02 :mrgreen:

+1