PDA

View Full Version : Possible to put the Red Sands units into Champion/Defender?

wildkarrde26726
11-11-2012, 01:22 PM
As the title says, I was browsing the forums hoping to find a way to get the modded units from the Red Sands mod into the other parts of Crossworlds. I don't care about the experience system, just want the units and their modded functionality(elven random element, necro energy, etc) to be available in the other campaigns. My knowledge of coding is fairly limited, but shouldn't I be able to add the "important bits" from the modded files to the ones from the other campaigns? If so, any idea what the "important bits" are?

Fatt_Shade
11-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Ofc it is possible, but question is how to do it (players have been modding this game for 5 years now and implementing bunch of things in it) :-)
OK seriously now :
1) every unit in game several files defining how it works. Expl
- footman.atom is swordman file with basic info about unit , race, level, gold cost, leadership, att/def/speed/dmg and such, and also there are info about animations, unit model and links to other files this unit have something to do with.
- eng_units.lng is file with description about unit stats (little windows opening when you place pointer over unit in game) : resistance types, dmg type, what is attack and defense... Also here are listed all races and units in game
- eng_units_features.lng is files with data on all units passive abilities (for footman it`s : armored , cautious , favorite enemy, fighting spirit.
- eng_unit_specials.lng is file with data on all units active in battle talents (for our expl footman here have smashing blow)
- addon_special_attacks.lua , addon_unit_features.lua , special_attacks.lua , unit_features are all files on how all units abilities work in/out of battle smashing blow mechanics, but also here are mechanics for goblin shaman recruiting passive, or any other thing that change your/enemy army in any way : royal griffin regal, magic shield from archmage...
- in interface textures folder are all png files for units/items...
- moral.txt is about race/race race/unit and unit/unit moral relations (expl royal griffins +1 moral to all humans, giant =2 to green dragon ... )
- special_params.txt is about some skill/item bonus to unit/race (knightly boots or sword to all human melee units , or quick draw for all archer units ...)

2) I think i listed all files that have anything to do with units in game, after that is grinding job of transferring all data for some unit from red sands mod files, into other location (it`s hell of job, i tried before to move champion unit from adventure mod for AP into CW and my try ended in flames) , but i wish you luck in your attempt :-)

wildkarrde26726
11-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks! That was pretty much what I was hoping for.

I spent about 9 hours yesterday trying to get the units into the campaign(I did mention that my coding skills were limited). That's when it occurred to me that instead of adding all the Red Sands stuff to the campaign, I should just be adding the campaign to the Red Sands stuff. 1.5 hours later and it appears to be mostly working.

The Champion of the Arena campaign is working with the Red Sands units, unit abilities, items, and seemingly troop exp as well. I haven't yet played enough battles to verify troops can actually level up, but it's looking good so far. There's also a bug that appeared during the last couple files I moved that caused spells/abilities to do 0 damage and instakill anything, but I've narrowed that down to the last 40 files and should have it cornered soon. The folder is completely bloated since I didn't remove any of the normal Red Sands campaign files, but the end result works :D

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. Knowing which files affected the various game mechanics allowed me to figure out enough of the coding to get this far.

Fatt_Shade
11-12-2012, 07:06 PM
If you still having problems with 0 dmg / killing problems check logic.lua and arena.lua files. I had same problems 2 times, after playing with copy/paste one mod files into other.