PDA

View Full Version : E4 CEM since patch

xnomad
11-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Forgive me for being a bit lazy here but I haven't had much time for this game lately.

I've played online maybe 3 quick times since the new patch and decided to be lazy and take the E4 with auto prop pitch as I'm out of practice. I've had my radiators open fully, encountered an enemy, closed radiators to half, engaged the WEP done a spiral climb and in a few seconds windscreen is covered in oil. Got fed up and quit the game.

I've just got too much going on to invest into going full nerd with this game as I used to do. So I thought can someone please explain what has changed in CEM and what I did wrong?

I think I also noticed that opening the water radiator fully didn't seem to change the coolant temp at all whilst cruising over the channel.

VO101_Tom
11-05-2012, 09:56 PM
3/4 is enough in all case, the half is too few (the water will slowly boil), the full is too much (slows the plane 10-20 km/h). Use wep only in emergency. Hope it helps :)

5./JG27.Farber
11-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Did you open the oil cooler aswell?

Kodoss
11-06-2012, 03:53 PM
The CEM of the E-4 is wrong from the beginning. If you throttle down your RPM goes down and Ata stays by 1,3, which is wrong and would kill your engine in real life.

Ata and RPM should get reduced by reducing throttle.
A little example:

Your fly with 1,45Ata (1-min. power = emergency full throttle) with 2468 rpm
and you reduce your throttle to 1,35Ata 5-min. power(full throttle) then rpm goes automatically down to 2368 rpm and hold them.
If you reduce the throttle down to 1,30Ata then rpm will level off by 2326 rpm.
And so on.

Or else the manuals for the Bf 109 and Bf 110 (I think it was a Bf 110 manual/will search it later) wouldn't make any sense when they write "when in automatic mode fly after Ata settings".

Kodoss
11-06-2012, 05:58 PM
OK, the text says "Fly regarding to rpm, observe manifold pressure as control."

Source: "D.(Luft) T.2416/1 Bf 110 E mit 2 Motoren DB 601 A oder DB 601 N - Kurzbetriebsanleitung" from Oct. 1940

arthursmedley
11-06-2012, 06:28 PM

This.

IvanK
11-06-2012, 08:27 PM
The CEM of the E-4 is wrong from the beginning. If you throttle down your RPM goes down and Ata stays by 1,3, which is wrong and would kill your engine in real life.

Ata and RPM should get reduced by reducing throttle.
A little example:

Your fly with 1,45Ata (1-min. power = emergency full throttle) with 2468 rpm
and you reduce your throttle to 1,35Ata 5-min. power(full throttle) then rpm goes automatically down to 2368 rpm and hold them.
If you reduce the throttle down to 1,30Ata then rpm will level off by 2326 rpm.
And so on.

Or else the manuals for the Bf 109 and Bf 110 (I think it was a Bf 110 manual/will search it later) wouldn't make any sense when they write "when in automatic mode fly after Ata settings".

What are you saying here its confusing me. In CLOD If I am in AUTO and I pull the throttle back both ATA and consequently RPM reduce. RPM is scheduled as a function of throttle position not ATA..... which I believe is correct in the simple DB601 Auto system (i.e. Non Kommandgerate which is far more comprehensive)

In addition reducing RPM before ATA (though not a good practice IRL) wont necessarily damage the engine unless you reach some detonation threshold of low rpm v ATA. I dont see how you can do this anyway in AUTO.

As to the statement ""Fly regarding to rpm, observe manifold pressure as control." what is your interpretation of this in terms of practical pilotage with AUTO in operation ? Are you saying the pilot uses the throttle to set an RPM and just accepts the ATA rather than setting an ATA and accepting the RPM ? ... I can sort of see the logic in this but only in an AUTO CSU system.

The convention with a standard (Non AUTO CSU) is to set ATA/BOOST/MAP to a desired value then set the desired RPM ... ideally with RPM leading the Boost on the way up and lagging on the way down.

xnomad
11-07-2012, 07:35 AM

yep oil and water both set on 1/2 just like I've always done in this sim.

notafinger!
11-07-2012, 10:26 AM
I've had my radiators open fully, encountered an enemy, closed radiators to half, engaged the WEP done a spiral climb and in a few seconds windscreen is covered in oil.

WEP + steep climb + 1/2 open radiators = dead engine

If you are in a hard climb and your airspeed drops below 250ish you need to open rads or you will overheat quickly. Using WEP will aggravate it more as will higher alt.

Kurfürst
11-07-2012, 01:07 PM
There's some sort of bug with the E-4 auto prop system - namely that by default it just doesn't work. Dis-engaging AUTO and adjusting the propeller angle manually a bit and then switching back to AUTO fixes it though... >/

xnomad
11-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Ok finally had some time to run some tests. The oil cooler on half doesn't seem to make a difference the oil temp remained pretty stable. However the water coolant was over-heating. 3/4 radiator flaps open solves the problem.

4./JG53_Wotan
12-18-2012, 06:27 PM
There's some sort of bug with the E-4 auto prop system - namely that by default it just doesn't work. Dis-engaging AUTO and adjusting the propeller angle manually a bit and then switching back to AUTO fixes it though... >/

IIRC:

start up should be in manual with prop set to 12 O'clock.

Keep this setting for warm-up, taxi, and for magneto check (not necessary in CLoD).

For take-off switch to automatic as you reach 2000 U/min.

Automatic control is not effective below 2000 U/min.

It maybe a bug in CloD that, "forces you from auto to manual, make prop adjustment, go back to manual" but if you do the above you won't have to worry about that.

But what do I know - I am sure you all can argue it out...

Ze-Jamz
12-18-2012, 06:30 PM
WEP + steep climb + 1/2 open radiators = dead engine

If you are in a hard climb and your airspeed drops below 250ish you need to open rads or you will overheat quickly. Using WEP will aggravate it more as will higher alt.

..this