PDA

View Full Version : what if the axis instead of dropping bombs had dropped trillions of forged money?

raaaid
10-25-2012, 11:09 AM
most people wouldnt give back the money and eventually economy would collapse

maybe they didnt do it for fear of the enemy copying the tactic?

bongodriver
10-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Thats right, they thought it would be better if the enemy copied them dropping bombs, they considered dropping beer but soon realised what they'd get in return was warm ale, so passed on it.

raaaid
10-25-2012, 11:40 AM
if i was in charge of german i would defit but if not what i would have done its create a complex splitted locally current system protected against money bombings and then drop trillions of perfectly forged pounds in brittain

the war would be over in two weeks this way :)

bongodriver
10-25-2012, 11:45 AM
But if the British decided to make the counterfeit money legal tender it would have made them rich, and all the time the Germans were wasting time printing forged money and trading with shiny buttons they would have been bombed into defeat in a day by a richer and more focused enemy.............Damn it!! sucked into another Troll thread.

raaaid
10-25-2012, 11:53 AM
not really ever heard of inflations problem?

http://www.neptunuslex.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/inflation.jpg

bongodriver
10-25-2012, 12:00 PM
not really ever heard of inflations problem?

You obviously don't know they tried it......war didn't end in 2 weeks, but you probably do know it as this is just another troll thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Bernhard

raaaid
10-25-2012, 12:15 PM
yes i had heard of it and i knew it WASNT CARRIED ON so my point remains valid

dropping paper money would have been much more effective than dropping bombs

so even when i remain ot im a troll

i wonder if what you call trolling is just not going with the herd and trying to be creative( yes i had thought of this idea long ago before i even ever heard of it)

raaaid
10-25-2012, 12:17 PM
You obviously don't know they tried it......war didn't end in 2 weeks, but you probably do know it as this is just another troll thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Bernhard

its nice to let the stream of concious flow even if its contradictory

bongodriver
10-25-2012, 12:25 PM

so even when i remain ot im a troll

i wonder if what you call trolling is just not going with the herd and trying to be creative( yes i had thought of this idea long ago before i even ever heard of it)

Of course you did.....well done, we're all so very proud of you.

bongodriver
10-25-2012, 12:25 PM
its nice to let the stream of concious flow even if its contradictory

Whatever you say.

swiss
10-25-2012, 12:34 PM

It wasn't carried on? They quit in spring '45.

1. You usually stop operations for a reason.
2. See above
3. What exactly qualifies you to discuss this matter anyway, do you have any kind of economical degree?
4. Wrong forum
5. Bog off.

raaaid
10-25-2012, 12:39 PM
for what i know there were never ever money bombings and i doubt you can disprove this

i seem to recall a guy was in charge of spreading the counterfeit money and he run away with it though im not sure

again money bombings would have been more efective than bombing bombs

bongodriver
10-25-2012, 12:41 PM
They actually did air drop £5 notes.

raaaid
10-25-2012, 12:50 PM
oh interesting, before making this thread i googled if i could find something on the net to post link but i couldnt find anything but ill kepp googling :)

bongodriver
10-25-2012, 12:54 PM
oh interesting, before making this thread i googled if i could find something on the net to post link but i couldnt find anything but ill kepp googling :)

Don't bother, Google doesn't have 'all' the answers, instead turn off your computer and go and buy some documentary dvd's and pay attention.

zander
10-25-2012, 01:00 PM

You didn't even bother to read the wiki link, hm?

The initial plan was to destabilize the British economy during the war by dropping the notes from aircraft, on the assumption that most Britons would collect the money and spend it, thus triggering inflation. This scheme was not put into effect: it was postulated that the Luftwaffe did not have enough planes to effectively deliver the forgeries, and by that time the operation was in the hands of SS foreign intelligence

philip.ed
10-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Don't bother, Google doesn't have 'all' the answers, instead turn off your computer and go and buy some documentary dvd's and pay attention.

No, scrap the DVD's and read some books. Honestly, if you get all your knowledge from reading books no wonder you don't understand the complexities of inflation. Documentaries result in armchair historians who think the spitfire won the battle of britain, and that Hitler was an evil person with some interesting colour footage. There's nothing like a few good history books in offering debate. I would even argue the internet is a better source of information that a documentary (obviously it depends on the documentary, but in general most are just more realistic than films, but don't put a scratch on a good book).

bongodriver
10-25-2012, 01:26 PM
think the spitfire won the battle of britain

Technically it did, if you replaced evry Spitfire with a Hurricane we would have lost, so it was instrumental in the victory.

Hitler was an evil person

Well He was.....or did you read a book that told you otherwise?

some interesting colour footage

Yeah......try finding some nice colour moving images in a book.

There's nothing like a few good history books in offering debate

What prevents a book author from making up their own impression of events as opposed to a documentary film maker?

I would even argue the internet is a better source of information that a documentary (obviously it depends on the documentary, but in general most are just more realistic than films, but don't put a scratch on a good book).

Soooo......just watch the good documentaries no?

no wonder you don't understand the complexities of inflation

I think it was aimed at me?.....not sure why.

raaaid
10-25-2012, 01:50 PM
You didn't even bother to read the wiki link, hm?

the wiki link tells the money bombings were planned but not finally carried out though honestly i didnt read it now but some time ago

5./JG27.Farber
10-25-2012, 01:53 PM
I agree books are best.

bongodriver
10-25-2012, 01:56 PM
the wiki link tells the money bombings were planned but not finally carried out though honestly i didnt read it now but some time ago

Thats right....but before they pulled the plug some drops were carried out.

The whole point is raaaid, your genius idea was already thought of and it didn't work out, it's not just as simple as dropping money, the enemy will have ways of countering the efforts.

bongodriver
10-25-2012, 01:57 PM
I agree books are best.

Sure....but nobody can answer my question on how books are immune from falsifying information as opposed to documentaries.

DD_crash
10-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Are you bored Bongo?

bongodriver
10-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Slightly

5./JG27.Farber
10-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Sure....but nobody can answer my question on how books are immune from falsifying information as opposed to documentaries.

Its not that books are immune from this, its more that in a book its not limited as much by "air" time. Like when they squeeze the BoB into 1 hour instead of a massive tome... ;)

NZtyphoon
10-25-2012, 07:03 PM

Books aren't immune from falsifying information, but neither is any medium. At least with properly researched and written books cross checking via the bibliography is possible, whereas with dvd documentaries that is hardly ever an option.

Example: In an otherwise excellent DVD documentary on the Hawker Typhoon (http://www.dukevideo.com/General-Interest/DVD/Aviation/Plane-Profiles/Typhoon-at-War--WW2--the-Raf-Collection--DVD.aspx) a well respected aviation historian said that early Typhoons were delivered with eight .303 Brownings because there was a shortage of the weapons; okay, where did that information come from, and how is it possible to x-reference for confirmation?

bongodriver
10-25-2012, 07:15 PM
The question was rhetorical anyway, it was more to do with philip.ed saying that documentaries are all lies or something to that effect.

NZtyphoon
10-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Anyway, it is true that the Germans tried to counterfeit £5 notes - just been watching an old BBC series Private Shultz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g47Sa8TGpXI) which is an accurate docudrama/history of the operation. ;)