PDA

View Full Version : Limiting TrackIR to rotational movements only

airmalik
09-27-2012, 01:43 PM
I just started playing CLOD a couple of days ago and having a blast. I love the ability to 'move' around in the cockpit with TrackIR5 but this makes it extremely difficult to keep the gunsight centered. So I've resorted to turning off the 'translational' movements which keeps the head fixed. But then I lose a lot of the feeling of being in a real cockpit.

Is there a way to switch off the translational movements on TrackIR using a hotkey and then enable it when not shooting?

Also noticed that TrackIR sometimes loses tracking when I lean closer to the gunsight. Any tips to make TrackIR usage better?

ATAG_Snapper
09-27-2012, 02:15 PM
Hi Airmalik,

You don't mention your joystick type, but for precise aiming I program one of the spring-loaded buttons on my Warthog stick -when pressed- to centre on the gunsight, go close in (= POV 30), and pause TrackIR. When I release the button, the field of view returns to wide view (= POV 90), and TrackIR is unpaused.

This way I don't have to think too much (a major benefit for me) when I approach my target and need to concentrate my firepower on, say, a bomber's wingroot. When I finish shooting I simply release the button and I quickly reacquire situational awareness.

Like yourself, I found that when leaning in towards my monitor I would lose headtracking. I simply moved the TrackIR sensor off my monitor and placed it on a shelf conveniently about a foot further back and a few inches higher than the top of the monitor. Since I wear a ProClip on the left side of my headphones, the TrackIR sensor is actually placed slightly left of centre so that my head doesn't obscure the sight line when I look sharply to the left.

Hope this helps.

Bounder!
09-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Not sure about turning certain movements on/off by a hotkey but (... and you probably know this but just in case) the simple way I keep my gun sight centred is by having the track IR centre hotkey on my joystick. That way if my view becomes off-centred as I'm going for a shot I hit the hotkey before blasting away.

airmalik
09-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Hi Airmalik,

You don't mention your joystick type, but for precise aiming I program one of the spring-loaded buttons on my Warthog stick -when pressed- to centre on the gunsight, go close in (= POV 30), and pause TrackIR. When I release the button, the field of view returns to wide view (= POV 90), and TrackIR is unpaused.

Thanks Snapper. How do you assign multiple actions to one button? Is this something specific to your Warthog? I have a Thurstmaster Hotas X.

ATAG_Snapper
09-29-2012, 11:48 AM
I use Thrustmaster's TARGET software, which also works with the Cougar HOTAS and the TM16000 joystick. I don't know if TARGET works with your system.

I find aiming very difficult at times when doing hard maneuvres (who doesn't?) and trying to keep the reticle centered while my head seems to be bobbing around. If you have one joystick button assigned for pausing/unpausing TrackIR and another button for centering TrackIR, that may work for you after a little practice.