PDA

View Full Version : An interesting read on flightsims developing.

SG1_Lud
09-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Many of you know have heard about Falcon series, and its storyline. For those who not, Falcon series became the benchmark sim in jet fighters sims.

The last version, Falcon 4, was released in 1999, and after a year of support, the developer team was layoff. Then in 2000 source code was leaked, and the community began to improve it since then to nowadays.

This is an interview with Kevin Klemmick, the lead programmer of the original Falcon 4. I found it very interesting itself, and also by putting it in perspective with the current situation of Cliffs of Dover.

End of spoiler, here the link and enjoy the short but insightful read.

S!

http://www.cleared-to-engage.com/2011/03/12/interview-with-kevin-klemmick-lead-software-engineer-for-falcon-4-0/

Igo kyu
09-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Yes, that was interesting, thanks.

Dynamic campaigns are too expensive? That's a shame, I prefer them. Oh well.

5./JG27.Farber
09-29-2012, 04:10 PM
How do you go from working on cool stuff like a dynamic campaign in a flight sim to ghey stuff like the sims? :rolleyes:

Flanker35M
09-29-2012, 07:08 PM
S!

Thanks for sharing. Interesting read!

Oldschool61
10-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Falcon was or is great. Havent played in several years though. Very steep learning curve!!!

badfinger
10-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Falcon was or is great. Havent played in several years though. Very steep learning curve!!!

Actually, the learning curve is very flat. Steep would mean you learned quickly. In the example of making a part repetitively, a steep learning curve means the number of production hours goes down rapidly with each part produced. You "learn" how to do it in less time, with each unit.

In the case of Falcon, it's difficulty goes down slowly. It takes a long time to get good at it.

binky9

AKA_Tenn
10-02-2012, 04:35 AM
i think in this case, learning curve means the more you know, the more you have to know, to understand what you just learned...

its a curve that moves in the opposite way :P

adonys
10-02-2012, 05:39 AM
Then in 2000 source code was leaked, and the community began to improve it since then to nowadays.

we're not that lucky

Flanker35M
10-02-2012, 01:51 PM
S!

Falcon still is a benchmark in having a dynamic campaign. They should have hired this guy to make one to IL-2 ;) :D

Oldschool61
10-02-2012, 03:27 PM
i think in this case, learning curve means the more you know, the more you have to know, to understand what you just learned...

its a curve that moves in the opposite way :P

Im referring to the steep learning curve for all the MFD's and weapons systems. You have to play constantly or you forget how to arm weapons etc etc. Once you get the basics mastered its great but the time needed to invest in learning all the sub systems is quite a bit.

badfinger
10-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Im referring to the steep learning curve for all the MFD's and weapons systems. You have to play constantly or you forget how to arm weapons etc etc. Once you get the basics mastered its great but the time needed to invest in learning all the sub systems is quite a bit.

If we plot the time to get good at Falcon against the improvement in expertise, than the curve would go up, not down, as I described. But, that curve would still not be very steep, because the sim's difficulty makes your level of expertise go up slowly. I think the expression has taken on a meaning that really isn't accurate, but one most people have accepted.

binky9

Codex
10-04-2012, 02:34 AM
Very nice read.

It confirms my theory on what makes a successful simulator.