PDA

View Full Version : RAF Bases Pack 1 South-East England

salmo
09-21-2012, 02:28 AM
Time to open my vault & see what pops out :)

RAF BASES PACK 1 (South-east England)
Pack 1 contains detailed templates for most of the RAF bases in south-east England as they appeared in the 1940's. These have been painstakingly researched from period photographs, maps, charts, reports etc.

The historical accuracy of hard-coded objects at airfields on the COD English Channel map varies greatly. Some airfields have reasonable (although simplistic) approximations of the historical positions of hangars & buildings, which assisted template building. Other airfields show a distinct lack of attention to historical detail or down-right laziness in their hard-coded object setup. For example, RAF Beckesbourne (Canterbury) airfield has small French hangars dispersed around the airfield. These never existed in real life; RAF Redhill has hard-coded hangars on the southern side of the airfield but no real-life hangars existed to the south of the field. Constructing templates for poorly hard-coded airfields was difficult because it's not possible to remove these badly placed objects. What I have done is to try to disguise hard-coded objects, and disabling poorly placed spawn points, by placing other objects over them. In some cases, it was necessary to create new taxiways by using the FMB custom airfield object.

ROYAL AIRFORCE BASES
Templates of RAF airfields as they appeared in the 1940's. Includes hangars, roadways, tracks, out-buildings, control towers, officers messes, billets, stores, taxiways, workshops, also prominent features such as cemeteries, churches, manor houses, pubs, Short Brothers aircraft works & seaplane factory, as well as nearby coastal AA batteries & observation posts. Complete with trains running on nearby rail lines & cars & trucks travelling along roadways & within the airfield perimeter.

Contains: RAF Beckesbourne (Canterbury), RAF Biggin Hill, RAF Croydon, RAF Eastchurch, RAF Gravesend, RAF Hawkinge, RAF Kenley, RAF Littlestone, RAF Lympne, RAF Manston, RAF North Weald, RAF Ramsgate, RAF Redhill, RAF Rochester, RAF West Malling

ROYAL AIRFORCE RADAR & COMMAND CENTRES
Recreated from 1940's period photographs. Includes the “Ash” underground command & control centre, radar installations & Beachy Head lighthouse.

Contains: RAF Beachy Head, RAF Sandwich (Ash)

COASTAL FEATURES
Inexplicably, several prominent south-eastern England coastal features are missing from the stock English Channel map. These have been recreated from 1940's period photographs and include Victoria Pier (Folkstone), harbours, docks, lighthouses, industrial areas, fishing cottages, recreational boat pens, coastal apartments & roads, life boat piers & stations, as well as nearby coastal AA batteries, observation posts & sea forts.

Contains: Bembridge Harbour (Isle of Wight), Folkstone Harbour, Royal Ramsgate Harbour, Maunsell sea forts (Thames Estuary at Nore & Red Sands).

I'm always looking to improve my templates, so feedback & comments are welcome.

Download link REMOVED by author

IvanK
09-21-2012, 03:33 AM
Fantastic ! Can this be combined to a single template ?

Troll2k
09-21-2012, 03:38 AM
I d/led it just in case I need it in the future.
The download does not seem very big.

Thanks.

fruitbat
10-04-2012, 01:06 PM
First of, thanks for doing this, it sounds excellent:cool:

Second, is there any way of getting this where i don't have to sign up to something to be able to download this?

cheers fruitbat

5./JG27.Farber
10-04-2012, 02:37 PM
This sounds awesome! How do you download it? Have you got a torrent?

salmo
10-04-2012, 11:16 PM
This sounds awesome! How do you download it? Have you got a torrent?

Broken download link in 1st post has been updated. It's only 151kb so no need for a torrent.

5./JG27.Farber
10-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Thanks mate, I was gonna suggest you put it up at Airwarfare. Shame the map makers didnt leave you any room to expand the airbases. I really like the Maunsell forts and I might even include them in my maps. The harbours are a good addition, Ive often thought there should be one at Ramsgate and Folkstone.

How did you get the stuff to stay where it was on the Maunsell forts? - Does Z offset work now? Or if I put it on a dedi will it all fall down?

salmo
10-05-2012, 02:20 AM
<snip> ...How did you get the stuff to stay where it was on the Maunsell forts? - Does Z offset work now? Or if I put it on a dedi will it all fall down?

Sadly, the Z-offset is returned to zero in dedicated server games. I've continued to post this bug in the hope that the dev's get the message, but I don't think they're listening. I wonder if Luther understands how frustrating it is to spend hours constructing a beautiful template in his "sandbox" (his words) only to find that the spade he gave you to play with has a broken handle :(

MadTommy
10-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks you.. i hope we get to see this online very soon :D

5./JG27.Farber
10-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Z offset now works, Ill add some to the SoWC missions, thanks!

5./JG27.Farber
10-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Put them in the current Storm of war campaign server, took a flight and could'nt see them :rolleyes:

They should be here:

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/farber82/SoWC/mounsellforts.jpg

- Corrected Z_Offset parameter in online missions. Mission objects will now properly offset based on mission designer’s input;

From here:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=34902

EDIT: Little mistake, we found em

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y478/gromic/Screenshot21517_zps38bc4c44.png

salmo
10-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Looks like stationary objects Z offset has been corrected, but Z offset for other objects like artillery is still broken :(

5./JG27.Farber
10-14-2012, 10:10 AM
I used the stand alone versions of the bofors and 3 incher, I dont think it makes a difference but who knows.

notafinger!
10-16-2012, 04:28 PM
This is really great. Have any plans for doing something similar around the Isle of Wight or Portsmouth area? If so it would be used in a soon to be released multiplayer mission. ;)

IanHenry
11-07-2012, 12:35 PM
How do you download this, it says download link removed by auther?

Ian.