PDA

View Full Version : Oculus Rift - The future of immersive gaming!

Winger
09-10-2012, 11:32 AM
http://oculusvr.com/

I know there are more important things right now. But to ignore this as a simdeveloper would be truly negligent...
What i predict that in like 2 years every simgamer will sit in front of their gamingrig with such kind of device on their heads. No question.

Winger

5./JG27.Farber
09-10-2012, 11:36 AM
The only draw back is I cant look down and see my controls... Even worse I cant look down and see my beer... :-P

Winger
09-10-2012, 11:44 AM
The only draw back is I cant look down and see my controls... Even worse I cant look down and see my beer... :-P

With HOTAS systems this isnt really a problem. For a simple WASD shooter its also not an issue. This "issue" could easily be solved by a simple little camera that, by the press of a button, shows its picture in the rifts displays.
Easy solution and not really expensive considering the prices of webcams.
Also i for my part am not at all looking at my hotas nor keyboard when gaming.
Ingame voicechat already negates the need to chat at all.

Winger

EDIT: another solution, at least for flightsims, are klickable cockpits:)
I am really eager to experience the rift. Friend of mine ordered the devkit. When it comes out late this year ill try hawken with it and then give feedback here.

Osprey
09-10-2012, 12:23 PM
640x800 res per eye. Already used VR years ago on that res on FSX. It's good and the 3D is mindblowing, but this is not cutting edge.

lensman1945
09-10-2012, 04:55 PM
yep..the resolution is a bummer...

I don't think this is the future..I figure we'll have something like direct projection onto the retina without the need to wear bulky headgear.:cool:

StiC
09-10-2012, 11:44 PM
yep..the resolution is a bummer...

I don't think this is the future..I figure we'll have something like direct projection onto the retina without the need to wear bulky headgear.:cool:

Have you been reading Ready Player One?

On topic.
The guys on the PC Gamer podcast said the experience was incredible, completely immersive. The low resolution is offset by arranging the pixels at a higher dpi near the center of the display. As for controls, clickable environments and devices like Leap Motion sound promising.

StiC