PDA

View Full Version : HOTAS Zoom Setup

Marmusman
08-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Some recent discussions in our squad informed me of a cool feature for zooming using a smooth FOV movement and being able to set up for HOTAS on Saitek X52 joystick. This may already be common knowledge, but thought we'd share.

HOTAS Zoom Key Setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw1onDEzlXU

Untamo
08-20-2012, 05:41 AM
S!

Nice analogue control. For those with no mouse stick, this works nicely. Tested it last couple of days ago:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=253678&postcount=14

JG26_EZ
08-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Perfect! And thanks Marmusman.

Stublerone
08-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks so far, but I still hate the switching between fastened and released seatbelt to get in front of the revi. Especially in use in a bf109 due to its non-centered revi.

The switching is not the key issue, but the limited angles fore u to switch so fast, that u lise your enemy abd have no hands free to sufficiently perform othe important controls.

For me, this is currently a killer to fly my beloved bf sufficiently. I can manage, but I want to concentrate on get perfection in flying not in managing the view ;)

Marmusman
08-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks so far, but I still hate the switching between fastened and released seatbelt to get in front of the revi. Especially in use in a bf109 due to its non-centered revi.

The switching is not the key issue, but the limited angles fore u to switch so fast, that u lise your enemy abd have no hands free to sufficiently perform othe important controls.

For me, this is currently a killer to fly my beloved bf sufficiently. I can manage, but I want to concentrate on get perfection in flying not in managing the view ;)

I am not sure I understand....I do not use the fasten/release seatbelt commands. I use FreeTrack so I move my head over to the revi or you can use Shift+F1 to get gunsight view.

Untamo
08-22-2012, 05:30 AM
S!

Just lean forward (in RL) and you get the same effect as the "loosen seatbelt". As in, you move your virtual head forward in the cockpit. Adjust your TrackIR/Freetrack Z-axis settings to get a more pronounced effect. As for the Revi not being centered, just calibrate/center your TIR/FT with your head slightly to the left. Now when you have your head on its normal position the virtual head will be slightly to the right.

Stublerone
08-22-2012, 10:05 AM
I also use trackir, but leaning left is not the medicine for that problem. You simply have more to do and u get inaccurate, when not going into gunsight mode. But the gunsight mide limits the viewing angles to the side and you are not able to follow your target sufficiently. You have to switch back to normal view and exactly that switching is following you the whole fight and you have a lot to do.

Just by taking away the viewing angle limitation would help a lot. I already reported it in bigtracker and some of them agree. The topic is also a bigger one for the russian pilots. It simply do not suite and do not simulate anything close to real life viewing. In real life, when your body and head gets limited in movement, you are still able to follow targets with your eyes. Additionally the pilot would release his limited position to not lose his target. He would do anything possible. So, limiting head movements do not mirror the real movements.

It simply should be removed and dogfighting will get another quality! ;)

AV8R_
08-26-2012, 09:46 PM
S!

Just lean forward (in RL) and you get the same effect as the "loosen seatbelt". As in, you move your virtual head forward in the cockpit. Adjust your TrackIR/Freetrack Z-axis settings to get a more pronounced effect. As for the Revi not being centered, just calibrate/center your TIR/FT with your head slightly to the left. Now when you have your head on its normal position the virtual head will be slightly to the right.

This is what I do too.

Essentially you are making the TrackIR centerpoint to be the revi view and not the default which is the boresight of the a/c centerline. Easy to set and just as easy to unset when just navigating. To zoom, I make use of the Z axis in the TrackIR4 where I physically move up to the screen while also in the DEL FOV30 mode. There is also that move up to the revi built in perspective (or unbuckle seat belt if you will) command, but I dont like to use this in a dogfight as the FOV is limited. It is good for long distance shots where you are trying to be as stable as possible.

@Marmusman,
Very nice film making there bud.