PDA

View Full Version : Can't find certain control keys

sebastiaankop
08-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Hi all enthousiasts,

I am just new at CoD and also new at the whole air combat genre.

So I want to ask a few beginners questions.

Is there a way to let the plane slow down in mid air other than turning down the throttle? I think this gives the advantage when flying up to the enemy and you want to stay behind him for a good shot. What button do I press?

I have played Blazing angels on the xbox and there was a button that let you have a peek at the enemy while in your plane. So you can follow him around. Is this possible in CoD? What button do I press?

I saw a documentary about the Stuka. In this doc they showed a little opening in the bottom of the plane (after where the pilot put his feet) and you can see strait down to the ground. Like a hole in the plane. I didn't see this flying in the Stuka in CoD. How can I enable this?

Also when flying the Stuka I pressed the bomb button but it dropped a series of bombs. Can the Stuka also drop just one bomb? What button do I press?

Lots of questions as you can see. I'm struggeling with the controls but after playing Blazing angels 1 and 2 I knew for shure that I wanted to play this game. Only problem is is that CoD is extremely complicated compared to Blazing angels.

But i'm willing to learn because this game seems like 'tha bomb'.

RASmith1030
08-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Hi Sebastiaan,
Welcome. You don't have the kinds of buttons you are looking for, because CloD is more of a Sim than a game. Getting a good shot comes from lots of practice.
Start with the Lancaster bomber as a target, try setting up a quick mission with only one. Take your time and learn to approach from the rear, use limited control inputs as you set up an intercept.

I'm not sure about the Stuka, I have only sat in the cockpit one time in CloD and I forgot to look down! Maybe the Bomb was in the way?

Anyway, good luck, let us know how you did!

RAS

Marmusman
08-13-2012, 08:44 PM
I agree with RASmith1030, this is a simulator...so the answer to questions about flying are usually "what did they do in the real plane?"

Airbrakes for this era of planes were used for dive bombing only. So I do not recommend them.

You can deploy your flaps a bit to slow down, bit do not give it too much flap...they will get damaged. I am not sure what the Combat Flaps setting is for the Stuka, but don't exceed it, i.e., don't use landing flaps setting.

Throttle is the best solution. sometimes a combo of throttle and flaps.

Regarding you other questions, I recommend searching YouTube for some Cliffs of Dover Stuka tutorials....might be quickest way to learn. Did you Arm the bomb before dropping it? Did it explode? There are a series of keys you need to assign for bomb settings. One is to set bombing to "series" or "Salvo." The key commands are near the Arm Bomb command in the key command listings.

Untamo
08-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Is there a way to let the plane slow down in mid air other than turning down the throttle? I think this gives the advantage when flying up to the enemy and you want to stay behind him for a good shot. What button do I press?

I have played Blazing angels on the xbox and there was a button that let you have a peek at the enemy while in your plane. So you can follow him around. Is this possible in CoD? What button do I press?

Generally, "parking" one's plane behind the enemy is not such a good idea. After you shoot, you have alarmed all of his buddies that are now coming to help him, and you are slow, and such very vulnerable. I recommend making high speed passes boom&zoom style, so every time you attack, you have the option either to continue, or to disengage.

Of course shooting with this tactic is bit harder, but it will pay off as your survival rate will go up +100% or more ;)

I saw a documentary about the Stuka. In this doc they showed a little opening in the bottom of the plane (after where the pilot put his feet) and you can see strait down to the ground. Like a hole in the plane. I didn't see this flying in the Stuka in CoD. How can I enable this?

You can either use mouse or "Open fenster(or something like this) window" button for this. With mouse, look down next to the root of the control column, there is a round black knob which says just "open/close fenster window". Just keep your mouse on the "open" side of the knob and keep your left mouse button held and it will slowly open.

Also when flying the Stuka I pressed the bomb button but it dropped a series of bombs. Can the Stuka also drop just one bomb? What button do I press?

Well not just one at the moment, which is a bug, or at least a missing feature. You can drop the centerline and wing bombs separately. To test this out load your plane with 4x50 and 1x250/500 bombs. When in cockpit, you can see on the right side one big red light and 4 smaller ones. The big one represents that the centerline bomb is selected and the 4 for the 50kgs in the wings. Below the 4 red lights there are buttons that say when you hover your mouse over them something like "Next/previous bomb bay", click these and you can see the 1 big and the 4 smaller lights either going off or on. So like this you can select the bombs you want to drop.

You can even use this selection when executing the automatic bomb release with the dive brake. As in, say you want to bomb ships, but don't want to use all bombs on just one ship. So say you are in 3km above the ships. You select the wing bombs, arm them, supercharger back to position 1, put your dive brakes on and dive on an 90 degree angle towards the ship until the automatic release system drops them and pulls you up. Dive brakes off, and you still retain the centerline bomb. You can go and put it next target of your choosing.