PDA

View Full Version : Arrogance and the Internet

JG52Krupi
08-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Just what the hell is it with people and the Internet.

Recently in another forum I asked what I had assumed was two relatively simple question and both times I got replies that really made me wonder why do people on the Internet get offended/reply with arrogant comments.

I would just like to make something's clear here:

If someone asks a question that has been asked before and you reply along these lines "as it's your first post I will answer, but in the future use the search function" Or "where have you been Durhhh" then you are a dick, there is no debating this it is a simple fact.

How do these people behave in the outside, if I asked someone the time would I receive a harsh beating for not having a watch on, if you asked them directions would they berate you for not having a map... Probably not so why do it on the Internet!!!

So just to reiterate if someone ask a question and you reply in a less than friendly manner you are a gigantic phallus.

Thanks for your time/end rant.

pupo162
08-07-2012, 10:27 AM
you could have just searched the forum there are enough of this topics around ;)

ZaltysZ
08-07-2012, 10:33 AM
It is called being "a search function nazi", and it is in the same league like "manual nazi" (the guy who likes replaying with "RTFM").

I.e. ED (Eagle Dynamics) forum is full of them, and I consider it to be a good thing because of technical nature of that forum. Most things are analyzed there comprehensively in separate threads, and no one wants to repeat the same over and over again, especially if that requires multiple walls of text. In addition, encouraging use of search function eventually leads to better studying skills. :)

JG52Krupi
08-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Let's be honest most of the time these questions are not always asked and you don't have to answer them so if your going to reply like an ass why bother replying at all let one of the more sensible/friendly ppl answer the question!!!

pupo162
08-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Let's be honest most of the time these questions are not always asked and you don't have to answer them so if your going to reply like an ass why bother replying at all let one of the more sensible/friendly ppl answer the question!!!

it was just a joke....

...talking about arrogance ...

JG52Krupi
08-07-2012, 11:43 AM
it was just a joke....

...talking about arrogance ...

:lol:

Al Schlageter
08-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Then there are those that are always right and never will admit that they are wrong.

KG26_Alpha
08-07-2012, 01:34 PM

Recently in another forum I asked what I had assumed was two relatively simple question and both times I got replies that really made me wonder why do people on the Internet get offended/reply with arrogant comments.

If someone asks a question that has been asked before and you reply along these lines "as it's your first post I will answer, but in the future use the search function" Or "where have you been Durhhh" then you are a dick, there is no debating this it is a simple fact.

How do these people behave in the outside, if I asked someone the time would I receive a harsh beating for not having a watch on, if you asked them directions would they berate you for not having a map... Probably not so why do it on the Internet!!!

So just to reiterate if someone ask a question and you reply in a less than friendly manner you are a gigantic phallus.

Consider it a courtesy to enter a forum and use the search function along with reading the the stickies and FAQ's

It saves bandwidth and stops the same questions being fragmented across the forum, lots of members simply cant be bothered to actually look for them selves so get treated by other members accordingly.

Like the person who bumps his own thread to get attention to their unanswered post, usually gets ignored rather than being upset by someone pointing out to read the FAQ's or use the search function because the answer they are looking for is in the FAQ's and easily searchable.

:)

brando
08-07-2012, 02:24 PM
There's always a catch with these "gigantic phallus" offers on the Internet...

...... So, how much? :)

Sternjaeger II
08-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Consider it a courtesy to enter a forum and use the search function along with reading the the stickies and FAQ's

It saves bandwidth and stops the same questions being fragmented across the forum, lots of members simply cant be bothered to actually look for them selves so get treated by other members accordingly.

Like the person who bumps his own thread to get attention to their unanswered post, usually gets ignored rather than being upset by someone pointing out to read the FAQ's or use the search function because the answer they are looking for is in the FAQ's and easily searchable.

+1

many forums also have quite useful FAQs threads and "read before you post" ones, but, being men, we never read instructions do we? ;-)

I understand your frustration, but imagine the frustration of people that have been there for a while and see the same question being asked on and on and on...

FFCW_Urizen
08-07-2012, 03:29 PM
I understand your frustration, but imagine the frustration of people that have been there for a while and see the same question being asked on and on and on...

As a former Moderator, i can confirm this. We had setup dozens of FAQs and Tutorials. Now if you have to read the same Question 100times a day, despite in being answered in said tutorials/FAQs, you sooner or later feel the need to exterminate mankind, or at least sterilize certain users, so they can not procreate. As a mod you have at least the power to just close/delete/move that thread, but what power does the average user have. None, besides his brain and of course, his ego.

S!

JG52Krupi
08-07-2012, 04:40 PM
So frustration allows you to treat new members like complete and utter ass good to know great work on giving people a warm welcome, what a bunch of asses!

There are ways of informing people, courtesy shouldn't be put on the backseat due to frustration. If you get wound up by simple question you shouldn't post a reply.

Igo kyu
08-07-2012, 04:44 PM
So frustration allows you to treat new members like complete and utter ass good to know great work on giving people a warm welcome, what a bunch of asses!

There are ways of informing people, courtesy shouldn't be put on the backseat due to frustration. If you get wound up by simple question you shouldn't post a reply.
Does CloD run on Windows 7 64Bit?

ATAG_Septic
08-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Then there are those that are always right and never will admit that they are wrong.

And those always talking about themselves when you want to talk about yourself.....

ATAG_Septic
08-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Does CloD run on Windows 7 64Bit?

Krupi's your man, he'll talk you through it I'm sure :)

FFCW_Urizen
08-07-2012, 04:52 PM

Nope it doesn´t, we as mods usually pointed the user to said FAQs/tutorials with a nice little welcome and then closed the thread, to keep certain unfriendly users out. But that bunch of a-hos is exactly the reason why i quit working as a mod. Or more correctly, working in this community (i wasn´t just a forumsmod but also servermod, admin doesn´t really fit here), because that behaviour were also evident on servers, where there is no such thing as a FAQ to refer to. Instead you heard them all giving a beginner a nice little "FU n00b/b00n/n4p, go play with your barbie!" welcome.

S!

von Pilsner
08-09-2012, 05:48 PM

+1

swiss
08-09-2012, 06:46 PM

The difference is:

In the real world you don't walk in the halls of world's largest library which contains everything you want or need to know - therefore asking real ppl IS ok.

In the net, the answer you're seeking is (usually) only a few keystrokes away. ;)

=CfC= Father Ted
08-09-2012, 10:50 PM
If someone posts an oft-asked question, and that act for some reason offends you, then just ignore it. It's not doing you any harm - they're not ringing you up or knocking on your door. Someone else will be delighted to show off their knowledge and everyone will be happy.

Krupi's right: in niche communities such as this we can ill afford to piss off newcomers with off-hand, elitist attitudes

WTE_Galway
08-09-2012, 11:00 PM
http://www.ncregister.com/images/uploads/duty_calls.png

(someone - I think furbs - uses this as a sig)