PDA

View Full Version : Lubricating my joystick

zahnartz62
05-12-2012, 04:04 PM
I have an X52 Pro js..there is a slight frictional resistance, a "grab" when I make small adjustments to my flight path and in formation flying. I was thinking of WD40 but do not like the perfume odor (except in the garage) and also silicone grease on the spring and dished baseplate. But the actual rubbing may be down the hole at the base of the stick. Amy advice welcome..many thanks in advance. John

rdop
06-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Im sure you figured something out by now, but try silicone spray. After a couple weeks, my x52 has worn in to where it doesnt need any lube.

zahnartz62
06-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks for reply..one guy described it as "stiction" which really fits. I think it is the rub on the lower disk..I use a cue tip and lithium grease and have tried silicon spray..glad to hear it works itself out as I like the x52 pro setup. I called the Saitek tech number before posting this thread..I talked with a lady with quite an accent and she had no tech information but did say they would exchange it for another. After a few days further use I felt another would do the same as it is in the design...but sure wanted to talk to a techie in Cali.
It bothers me when making small incremental movements..I must push to overcome friction, must recover, and would much rather have the smooth feel of a real ac in minor movements..not that I have flown a real one!
I wanted to avoid any contamination of whatever is below the stick so use grease, minimal on a swab! I did order the x65, kept it two hours, and returned it. It does not move, it transmits signals that give control cues..and it is very long..I meant to write Saitek suggesting they advertise it for guys with big mitts. I would need to release it to jump up to hats and buttons. Worse than "stiction"!! Appreciate your experience.

5./JG27.Farber
06-09-2012, 09:51 PM
I use vasaline. I used to use WD40 but as you mention it chokes the life out of you. You can vurtually use any synthetic grease. I would not use a spray as the stick is not designed to resist that kind of ingress. ;) If you only have a spray, spray it on a cloth first then wipe on your stick.

No145_Hatter
06-10-2012, 04:48 AM
I have never seen such absolute FILTH in all my days!

Have you no sense of decency??????? ;)

Osprey
06-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Try not to get all excited Brighton boy lol ;)

zahnartz62
06-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Hatter..you remind me of a visit to Hawai years ago. I sat on the sand as my wife splashed in the water..she started arm signals..look to the left..I did..2 topless young ladies were moving into my line of vision..I was, like you, filled with Rightous Indignation and Outrage..so I Stared at them witherlingly!! I showed them all the way past until a 14 old boy slid up onto the sand on his surf board, looked up at those Naughty Bits...and had an Epiphany Moment..that I envied!! Cheers..never miss the chance to give someone a laugh!

Norseman
07-16-2012, 11:57 AM
-using a candle here..on the "base-disks".
Easy as that..

~s~:)

Warhound
07-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Also using an X52 pro here and I fixed the sticking by tying thin string around the spring. Used 2 strings to compress the main spring enough so that the tension eased up a bit.
It made the resistance lower and removed the sticking completely.
Tried graphite and grease before but those never worked as good, are messy and lost their effect rather quickly.

Outlaw
07-16-2012, 07:15 PM
I found that the sticking on my X-52 was at the upper lip of the, "dish". I used chap-stick around the edge and nothing down in the dish (to prevent it from gumming up with dust and cat-fur). It was so easy I could even touch it up in flight.

I also did what Warhound did on the spring except I used a couple of garbage bag ties. It was easy to adjust and, once again, I could do it in flight.

That worked great for about over a year until one day my X-52 suddenly impacted the wall at a high rate of speed. Nothing worked very well after that. So I got a G-940 and bolted it into my cockpit so hopefully it won't meet the same fate.

--Outlaw.

zahnartz62
07-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Thanks for tips...!

vox
08-08-2012, 09:36 PM
I thought of WD40 myself but it is too liquid so I used standard grease on the springs and bottom side of the metal disc below the springs. It's all smooth now.

Romilis
08-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Do not use Wd40. It will over time erode plastic parts such as orings and rubber gaskets. Silicon spray is the recommended Lube.

F16_Neo
08-29-2012, 05:17 PM
You should try to avoid spray lubricants, made my old EVO worse.
What did help was using a candle, not just on the disc but on the shaft where the disc slides.
Seems like some sprays degrades the plastic and makes it coarser.

badfinger
08-29-2012, 08:22 PM
I have never seen such absolute FILTH in all my days!

Have you no sense of decency??????? ;)

I know what you mean. My first thought was KY Jelly.

binky9

redxfred
09-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Search for Grease / Plastics / Synthetic Polyolefin (PAO). It should meet the Specification: DOW EM-30L. The label on mine is "M-Kote EM-30L NLGI #1" It is distributed by PP&S (Whoever that is...) and is available from venders on E-Bay. I recommend the smallest quantity available since a little goes a long way. I have not had to reapply the grease more often than every 3 months or so.