PDA

View Full Version : Joystick issues

pencon
05-12-2012, 03:59 AM
What is up with the joystick settings? I'm flying about .10 of a mile back , lined up perfectly behind a bunch of bombers in my bf109 and the joystick control , is bouncing around so bad I couldn't hit a thing even if I was 10 feet away ! I've tried all settings back and forth and in between on the sliders . I don't know if the slider sensitivity is supposed to be all the way to the right or left . They need to define that better .Same with the dead zone . Which way is less jumpy ? I haven't got a clue . It's either waaay to sensitive or so sluggish I pull back on the elevator and nothing happens , so I pll back a little harder and suddenly it lurches up and I'm in a spin with no warning . I even tried the logitech profiler with a little but it's hit and miss. Works some of the time and others not . The settings seem to come and go .Everything else works smoothly but this is so frustrating I find myself back on 1946 UP3rc4 instead .My joystick is a logitech force 3d pro. Anyone else having controller issues ?

IvanK
05-12-2012, 04:31 AM
The user control interface for joystick settings is a shambles imo. This is how I understand it to work:

The Axis settings are divided into Left and right Slider indicators.
The Left hand sliders allow input and provide an analog ref bar of user changes. This is on a scale of 0 to 1.00
with 1 being maximum user adjustment.

On the right hand side are 2 slide displays that show PC input and output as a green bar that progresses across the display. The upper slider shows the game response to the input below. If the sliders are the same then a 1:1 relationship exists between physical joystick input and what the game sees/reacts to.

The top Left Slider is labelled Sensitivity. This in essence sets the lag or input curve. If its fully to the left
with a 0.0 value then that means a 1:1 ratio of input to output. In this case the bars in the right set of scales will match.

If you want to set up a response curve so that PC reaction lags slightly behind the Joystick input then you need to increase the sensitivity value by moving the sensitivity slider to the right. Its current value is then shown to the right of the slider. Some setting to the right is I think preferable in all Flight control axes as this will then result in requiring more actual joystick movement to get an aircraft response. Kind of simulates the larger stick throw you get in a real aeroplane.

The remaining left sliders set Dead zones for both the neutral and full scale deflection ends of the axis travel. Some dead zone is I think required for the neutral area (Middle left slider). I don't think any dead zone setting is required for the max deflection end.

At present I am using the following values:

PITCH/ELEVATOR CH FIGHTER STICK
Sensitivity 1.0 (Max lag or the more prominent "curve". Provides a more gradual build up in pitch response)
Dzone Neutral 0.05
Dzone Max 0.0

ROLL/AILERON CH FIGHTER STICK
Sensitivity 0.95 (a fair amount of lag but not full)
Dzone Neutral 0.25
Dzone Max 0.0

YAW/RUDDER SAITEK COMBAT PEDALS
Sensitivity 1.0 (Max lag or the more prominent "curve")
Dzone Neutral 0.47
Dzone Max 0.02 (Saiteks a bit noisy on the extremities)

THROTTLE .... No Idea !