PDA

View Full Version : Force Feedback for left handed Pilot

Pato Salvaje
05-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Hello
first thing ... I'm a left handed pilot.
By now my Saitek Aviator and throttle quadrant are serving me well, but I would like to have another alternative, and since I'm in the market I would like it to be a force feedback joystick.
The only I have found with force feedback and ambidextrous configuration is the Saitek Evo Force. Anyone know about any other alternative?
I read in the forums that Evo Force gives some problems ... someone could give their opinion?
The force feedback works well in CoD?
So Many questions ...:-(

Thanks in advance!

engadin
05-11-2012, 08:03 PM
I am afraid there are so many different reports on how the whole range of FFB joys behave on CoD that you´ll get a blurred photo of the actual situation. MS FFB2, Logitech G940, Evo, etc ... they all show different behaviours in many degrees, regardless drivers, O.S. and configurations.

And if you look for an ambidextrous joy, Evo is the only way to go, AFAIK, by now. I read somewhere there is a guy that scanned the two halves of the open stick of a MS FFB2 in 3D [now electronic components free], made a mirror image of the 3D files and 3D printed them, relocated the components and therefore got a fancy and working left handed joy. Nice idea, isn't it?. I'll take a look to get the link back.

Any way, I wish you luck, mate.

AA_Engadin.

Pato Salvaje
05-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Thank you for the reply Engadin. I think I finally will buy the evo and will cross the fingers hoping that FF work well in my configuration... but if there where an alternative...:roll:

engadin
05-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Te he visto en el SG1 y tambien posteo allí. Si encuentro algo te lo cuento en el foro, ok?.

robtek
05-12-2012, 08:07 AM
You could also do it the "full real" way like real lefthanded pilots do and retrain :D

Martin77
05-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Im left handed too. But for years i fly with a *normal* Joystick. It was a ms precission 2.
Now i own a t1600m from thrustmaster. This thing is able to build as a left hand stick, but i dont use it.
I ve tried it but i must say after so many years flying with the right hand i fly better as with left hand :)
I know there are not much alternatives so i decided to learn it with the wrong hand.
I play guitar too its a right handed.
Perhaps you give it a try and learn a bit? :)

Rjel
05-12-2012, 04:10 PM
You could also do it the "full real" way like real lefthanded pilots do and retrain :D

Being left handed too, your comment, like dozens of other similar ones for years on sim forums, makes me laugh. Beyond the "full real" argument, how about you try to fly with your left hand ( assuming you're right handed) for a week. Then come back and tell us how much fun it was? While it might be necessary in the real world, it sure as hell isn't to play a game.

Attila
05-12-2012, 05:40 PM
I´m a "Lefty" too. I´ve been using Saitek Evo force since i started to fly IL2. Now i have my 2. Evo Force and there are no problems to use it on CLOD! If you find one, buy it! (i was searching for so long to find a new one - i found just secondhand ware)
Of my knowledge Saitek don´t produce it anymore! BUY IT!!!!:-P

Pato Salvaje
05-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Te he visto en el SG1 y tambien posteo allí. Si encuentro algo te lo cuento en el foro, ok?.

Ok gracias!

@robtek&Martin:I know what you mean. I tried to pilot with my right hand but nowhere near the accuracy or ability I have with my left hand. I feel I would need much time to get close to the level I have now, and I'm not really willing to do that now. I found where to buy the evo and I´ll try it. At least I will have a joystick that if I need it I can disable the FF.;)

@Attila: Thank you for your reply and opinion. When I get it in my hands... can I contact you if I have questions?:)

Sokol1
05-13-2012, 03:30 PM
What you need to to is, buy a FF stick available (old MS FF2 USb, Saitek or Logitech) and exchage the grip for the AV8R grip (or buy a used Saitek Cyborg to use this grip, is more ergonomic and adjustable) - is not difficult to do.

Or more easy - if you fin a MS FF2, that have a neutral top handle.
Disassemble the grip and cut of the left thumb rest:

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/5464/msffo.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/861/msffo.jpg/)

Sand to conveniente shape, fill the holes with epoxy put, sand an paint or
wrap with tennis racquet or byclicle tape (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Regripping/Regripping.html).
A custom grip, appropriate to left or right hands. :)

Anyway the (very) expensive Paccus Hawk (hidraulic) Forcefeedbak have a neutral grip.

http://www.paccus.com/forcefeedbackjoystickshop

Sokol1

Attila
05-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Ok gracias!

@Attila: Thank you for your reply and opinion. When I get it in my hands... can I contact you if I have questions?:)

No problem, you can ask me any time!

Katana1000S
05-22-2012, 08:52 AM
An interesting comment I read from a real life Airbus pilot as regards their left and right right control sticks is that it does not really matter, you adjust very very quickly and its all mostly in the mind ... its not like learning to write left handed if you lose a right hand as one of my friends did.

For EG, the Airbus pilot mentioned most pilots used a yoke and thought nothing of swapping from left to right hand to use it and as a yoke user in flight sim i can confirm he's right, I can control the aircraft just as well with a yoke using left hand or right hand only, so why not with side sticks? centre based sticks should be even easier.

My advice for anyone who is left handed is to try a right hand stick and see how you get on, if it works fine, then all you need to look at is a more ergonomically based stick for your thumbs ETC and having it mirrored ... obviously a stock Cougar or Warthog stick will feel more awkward and the throttle is designed for right handed people ... but back in the day when all guitars were right handed a certain Mr Jimi Hendrix never let that small detail hold him back :)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-w9GcnMkztsM/Ts0pdkS9MLI/AAAAAAAACWU/o4y6CXuhNNA/s1600/jimi_hendrix_01.jpg