PDA

View Full Version : My plane is banking

FearOfHights
05-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Hello pilots!
I just got this game, and after reading a little here on the forums, it looks like that was not a good investment. But I disagree, I simply just love it...
I`ve been fiddeling with my controls, and I set up my xbox controller for now, and it works pretty well. I`m getting a flight stick in a few weeks.
So I use the left thumb stick to fly the plane, the right for looking about, and on the pad I have trim nose up and down and rudder left right.
Still, every plane is banking to the right, and it`s very hard to fly in a straight line.
Am I missing some trimming? I just assumed that rudder trim would be the right one to fiddle with to counter the banking. It help a bit, but not much. That is the only thing that irritates me a little, allways have to correct..
Allso I cant find the auto pilot enable/disable in the settings.... I want to use it for longer flights, and just forr keeping up with the ai:rolleyes:

FOH.

5./JG27.Farber
05-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Which plane? They dont have trims for each axis. The 109 for example only has trim on the Elevator. You have to fly with a small amount of rudder to go in a straight line.

FearOfHights
05-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Oh, I should have mention that yes.
As I just started, I play the english campain with the cheesy story and all. The first plane (dont remember the name now) and the spitfire are the only planes i have flown, and both acts the same.

5./JG27.Farber
05-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Its the torque from the engine, I think spits/hurris have rudder and elevator trim but I really dont know.

FearOfHights
05-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Yes they do, both of them. Thank you, looks like I need to practise fine tuning my trims:)

About the auto pilot, how do I make it work? I found a toggle ai in the control settings, is that the right one? Anyway, it was mapped to "A", but nothing happens when I use it.

5./JG27.Farber
05-10-2012, 06:52 PM
I dont know, I have always flown full switch and online. No autopilot ;)

badfinger
05-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Hello pilots!
I just got this game, and after reading a little here on the forums, it looks like that was not a good investment. But I disagree, I simply just love it...
I`ve been fiddeling with my controls, and I set up my xbox controller for now, and it works pretty well. I`m getting a flight stick in a few weeks.
So I use the left thumb stick to fly the plane, the right for looking about, and on the pad I have trim nose up and down and rudder left right.
Still, every plane is banking to the right, and it`s very hard to fly in a straight line.
Am I missing some trimming? I just assumed that rudder trim would be the right one to fiddle with to counter the banking. It help a bit, but not much. That is the only thing that irritates me a little, allways have to correct..
Allso I cant find the auto pilot enable/disable in the settings.... I want to use it for longer flights, and just forr keeping up with the ai:rolleyes:

FOH.

I have a complete G940 I will sell you.

binky9

FearOfHights
05-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I think shipping cost and import taxes here in Norway will make that more expensive than buying it from the store.
I was thinking about this one: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=301766
Now I know nothing about what is a good stick, and what aingt so good. How is the stick I put in the link?

5./JG27.Farber
05-10-2012, 09:52 PM
mid range stick... So so...

Binky why you selling your G940, how old and how much?

badfinger
05-11-2012, 01:17 AM
mid range stick... So so...

Binky why you selling your G940, how old and how much?

I became frustrated with trying to get to work as easily AND as well as my MS FFB stick. It 2yrs old, and not used much.

How does $275 sound?

Binky9

AbortedMan
06-14-2012, 05:23 PM
$275 is really steep for a used G940.

I'm currently in the market for that stick and have been searching prices for a while now. I've found refurbished for $195 on Amazon and ~$300-$250 for a new one online and in-store at Fry's Electronics.

You make a reasonable price and I'll take that G940 right off your desk for ya when I get paid next Friday.

EDIT: Keep in mind refurbished is *factory* refurbished. So guaranteed operational. With free shipping and at $195, a competitive price for a transaction between two 1C forum-goers would be ~$180-$175 out the door, almost/like-new condition, that's including shipping costs. Add two years old/hardly used and, honestly and intelligently thinking, I would pay ~$160-$150 since I'm not getting the assurance of a completely working product and its full life cycle that I would out of the box or factory refurbished/re-qualified as marketable merchandise.

...just trying to think realistically if you're serious about selling your G940.

DC0
06-14-2012, 06:22 PM
I was thinking about this one: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=301766
Now I know nothing about what is a good stick, and what aingt so good. How is the stick I put in the link?

It is very good stick. With some time investment into programming this stick you will have very good controls over plane.
Though the best stick would be HOTAS Cougar with Hall sensors. It still beats them all.

badfinger
06-14-2012, 06:45 PM
$275 is really steep for a used G940.

I'm currently in the market for that stick and have been searching prices for a while now. I've found refurbished for $195 on Amazon and ~$300-$250 for a new one online and in-store at Fry's Electronics.

You make a reasonable price and I'll take that G940 right off your desk for ya when I get paid next Friday.

EDIT: Keep in mind refurbished is *factory* refurbished. So guaranteed operational. With free shipping and at $195, a competitive price for a transaction between two 1C forum-goers would be ~$180-$175 out the door, almost/like-new condition, that's including shipping costs. Add two years old/hardly used and, honestly and intelligently thinking, I would pay ~$160-$150 since I'm not getting the assurance of a completely working product and its full life cycle that I would out of the box or factory refurbished/re-qualified as marketable merchandise.

...just trying to think realistically if you're serious about selling your G940.

Negotiations...I love'm. Make me an offer.

binky9

AbortedMan
06-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Post some detailed pictures of the button clusters, joystick, throttle group, and pedal surfaces and we can get this deal rollin! ;)

or email em to pushbecomeshove@gmail.com, or you can just text me the pics if you want to take pics with your phone (if it has a good camera), I'll give you my cell # if you request it in email...or PM...does this forum have PMs?

Redroach
06-15-2012, 09:48 AM
...to get back to the original bloke's question: If you fly the Hurricane and Spitfire, they both have rudder trim, which could remedy your problem somewhat.
Ideally, for cancelling any banking, there would be aileron trims (which cancels auto-movement exactly along the axis you have problems with), but neither the Hurri nor the Spit do have that - so you have to trim (somewhat) around the yaw axis, that is, an axis drawn from your pilot's head down his spine and so on (not necessarily exactly centered on the pilot, for the nitpickers ;) )
So, you may see some problems already when imagining that - yaw trim does cancel engine torque, but you:
a) may have to be trimming rather boldly - it's not just a few 'clicks' if your engine runs at full throttle, more like a few ten clicks.
b) may introduce some yaw in the other direction which let's you drift off-course over time and which you should consider because of that. So either you don't trim as hard and do the rest manually, or correct your course from time to time (this may be rather oftern) or you reduce throttle, which helps on engine torque and reduces the problem to begin with.

Hope that helps.

P.S.: The Hurri and Spit have an instrument for that in the cockpit: the turn & bank indicator. It's the instrument which has two hands, looking somewhat mirrored along the horizontal axis. The lower hand gives your banking angle and the upper hand helps with correcting excessive yaw: If the hand is in the middle, you've canceled any auto-yaw and you should fly straight along the course you've set (not considering wind etc.), albeit probably your automatic banking may not be entirely canceled, as described above.

justme262
06-15-2012, 10:58 AM
The spit and hurricane will fly hands free with zero trim at about 2lbs of boost. They are made to cruise hands free.

The 109 will stop rolling at full throttle around 400km/h IAS.
They are made to fly full throttle hands free.

I think many people try to fly the merlin engines full throttle all the time and wonder why it keeps rolling the the right.

Just reduce you throttle a little after take off and you'll find the balance point at about 2lbs of boost.
you can even steer the plane using nothing but throttle...

badfinger
06-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Post some detailed pictures of the button clusters, joystick, throttle group, and pedal surfaces and we can get this deal rollin! ;)

or email em to pushbecomeshove@gmail.com, or you can just text me the pics if you want to take pics with your phone (if it has a good camera), I'll give you my cell # if you request it in email...or PM...does this forum have PMs?

I'll take some pics over the weekend. Let me know where to send them. PMs are available, so send me a number.

binky9

essuru
07-03-2012, 03:23 PM
my saitek cyborg evo doesnt center proply in il-2 COD.
What happen is if i take off and not touching airelons left or right its ok but as soon as i move the stick to the right possition it doesnt come back to proper center possition. I have to move it all the way left to be able to center proply. It happens only with IL-2 COD - never happend in other flight sim (dcs, ED, fsx, condor etc.) I tried to assign airelon trim to my saitek but never works. Does Hurricane have airelon trim anyway ? PLEASE HELP cause its realy annoying (plane keeps rotateing right all the time until i make hard left turn.

I pluged off my saitek stick and it happens with keybord too so its not my stick.
i uploading print screen to show you how big is the difference.

http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/8639775/img/8639775.bmp (http://picturepush.com/public/8639775)

pstyle
07-03-2012, 04:20 PM
my saitek cyborg evo doesnt center proply in il-2 COD.
What happen is if i take off and not touching airelons left or right its ok but as soon as i move the stick to the right possition it doesnt come back to proper center possition. I have to move it all the way left to be able to center proply. It happens only with IL-2 COD - never happend in other flight sim (dcs, ED, fsx, condor etc.) I tried to assign airelon trim to my saitek but never works. Does Hurricane have airelon trim anyway ? PLEASE HELP cause its realy annoying (plane keeps rotateing right all the time until i make hard left turn.

This is a big guess... but:

You aircraft is at 3200+ RPM in that screenshot with your boost over 5lbs.
This could be engine torque causing the aircraft to rotate on the horizontal axis, resulting in air pressure on the ailerons.

As stated by other in the thread:
Try reducing boost to 2lbs and set your RPM around 2500 or so.
Trim the rudder and you should be able to go hands-free, in stable, level flight.

essuru
07-05-2012, 11:57 AM
This is a big guess... but:

You aircraft is at 3200+ RPM in that screenshot with your boost over 5lbs.
This could be engine torque causing the aircraft to rotate on the horizontal axis, resulting in air pressure on the ailerons.

As stated by other in the thread:
Try reducing boost to 2lbs and set your RPM around 2500 or so.
Trim the rudder and you should be able to go hands-free, in stable, level flight.

I think it happens when the throttle is on idle as well. I gonna check that this evening. I did what you suggest last night and ok it does work exept i still need to keep little bank to fly straight otherwise the plane kept going left. I am very patient person after dealing with all Lockon and DCS series from almost decade.
Anyway thanx for quick respond :)

timmers
07-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Hi...Can someome explain to me about boost and RPM. Are they both linked to the throttle or is rpm the throttle and boost something else?

cheers

I hope htis isnt a real noobie question :confused::rolleyes:

5./JG27.Farber
07-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Boost is mostly directly the throttle, actually Ata or atmospheres (pressure) is a better word, more fuel, more boom!

RPM is effected by many things, pitch climbing or level or descending - which adds resistance or not to the prop and in turn the engine and RPM. Its also effected by boost!

experiment. ;)

timmers
07-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Hi Thanks for your reply. I cant quite get my head around this i'm sorry. In Quick Mission 02 FLight over England, flying a spit and I have even set the realism settings to easy so torque shouldnt have an effect and gone back to using a keyboard. From the moment the mission starts up she banks! I've tried lowering the RPM, trying to maintain a boost of 2Lbs and in no way would she ever fly herself. :)Any ideas...quite happy to be called dopey if someone points something out...

Same symptoms in a 109 as well...I want to learn this thing properly...but if you cant fly ina straight line to start with on easy realism settings its pretty tricky

U505
07-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Hi Thanks for your reply. I cant quite get my head around this i'm sorry. In Quick Mission 02 FLight over England, flying a spit and I have even set the realism settings to easy so torque shouldnt have an effect and gone back to using a keyboard. From the moment the mission starts up she banks! I've tried lowering the RPM, trying to maintain a boost of 2Lbs and in no way would she ever fly herself. :)Any ideas...quite happy to be called dopey if someone points something out...

I had the same with my G940. I des-install it and re-install it again but on an another USB port and it seems to work properly till now. Hope it will help you.:-)

timmers
07-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. Normally I use the X52 but this is happening with that disconnected and me using the keyboard...

Which is why I think i'm doing something verrrry stupid..

timmers
07-14-2012, 01:44 PM
So..I dont remember this banking happening before on IL2...not that I have had it long but I would have noticed. I have uninstalled CLoD and reinstalled through Steam and straight 'out of the box' on 109 or spit on Quick Mission they all bank to the right. This is using the keyboard. Does anyone else get this issue? Can someone try just using the keyboard instead of a joystick profile? If you turn on autopilot she flies straight. Turn off Autopilot and after moving joystick or keyboard left or right the same old issue. Is this by design ? I thought you could get Torgue induced yaw but not banking?

cheers

TomcatViP
07-15-2012, 07:56 PM
So..I dont remember this banking happening before on IL2...not that I have had it long but I would have noticed. I have uninstalled CLoD and reinstalled through Steam and straight 'out of the box' on 109 or spit on Quick Mission they all bank to the right. This is using the keyboard. Does anyone else get this issue? Can someone try just using the keyboard instead of a joystick profile? If you turn on autopilot she flies straight. Turn off Autopilot and after moving joystick or keyboard left or right the same old issue. Is this by design ? I thought you could get Torgue induced yaw but not banking?

cheers

If it yaw it banks ;) You might hve to use a plane that have aileron trim enabled.

Grimm862
05-29-2013, 01:50 AM
Just really trying to get an answer here fellas. I am sorry to keep bumping threads but any help would really be appreciated. I can see that my right aileron is slightly up and the left slightly down resulting in my slight right banking problem. It isn't the engine tq because the plane will bank left under throttle spikes and on take off but even with the engine at the lowest speed my plane is still banking to the right. Is there a way to adjust the ailerons postion in a ini file or something? It has to be the ground trim settings or something over compensating for the engine gyro effect.

If I turn off the gyro effect the plane never tqs left just always banks right.

Grimm862
05-29-2013, 02:04 AM
Just want to say that plugging the joystick into another usb port and letting it reinstall the drivers has fixed the problem. I will leave this here so if anyone ever needs a definitive answer they can see it.

Problem Fixed!