PDA

View Full Version : What Keys should I map to the Joysticks and controls?

PotNoodles
04-24-2012, 03:18 AM
I have a saitek x52 and am getting confused over which keys are more important to map to the joystick and it's controls. Can someone list what actions I should have mapped to the joystick and it's controls and which ones I should leave as clickable in the cockpit by mouse. There seems to be to many keys that require an axis like radiator control.. etc, and it's confusing the hell out of me. Thankyou!!

JG26_EZ
04-24-2012, 05:02 AM
A handy tip to remember is with that pinky button, it's a quick way to "double" the amount of buttons you have. (whatever you should choose to do)

PotNoodles
04-24-2012, 07:35 AM
A handy tip to remember is with that pinky button, it's a quick way to "double" the amount of buttons you have. (whatever you should choose to do)

Have you got any idea how the pinkie switch works because I cannot say I have ever used it. Does it act like the shift key on keyboard? Also, does the mode switch on the joystick allow me to use three different modes including three switch modes on the thrust controller? Do you have any good links to a website that will explain all this because I have never used the mode switch either? Thanks!!

Ataros
04-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Views, guns, zoom, flaps, 2 radiators, map, wep, wep cut-off, auto prop pitch on/off.
Axis for prop pitch and elevator trim.

Starting with this you can fly a Cross Country QMB mission, pause it when required to add or change controls.

5./JG27.Farber
04-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Pictures speak more :-P

My set up is built around KISS.

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/farber82/mysetup.jpg

C button on X52 is loosen shoulder straps/zoom on gunsight
Arm bombs is actually drop bombs.

fuel cock - space bar
toggle all engines - tilde key next to 1 on top off keyboard
1 - engine 1
2 - engine 2
o - Toggle open canopy
. - arm bombs

TrackIR ;)

Hope that helps.

SEE
04-24-2012, 12:06 PM
I tend to set my X52 to enable the commands that are essential for combat and management of flight. The Fuel cock, Engine Start, Mirrors, Net Stats, Map, etc, I access from the keyboard or mouse as these tend to be one off or rarely used.

Trim, Flaps, weapons, Radiator, prop pitch, mixture, gun-sight adjustments, etc are all mapped to the stick. The view controls depend on whether you have Head-tracking or not and controls such as Padlock depend your difficulty settings.

The Mode switch when used with the SST software (or similar Joystick UTILITY) can be rotated to three positions and each position gives you the ability to map every switch and button to do something entirely different. Assigning a shift function to any key (such as the 'pinkie') is also done using the SST software and this, along with the mode switch, gives you up to six possible alternatives for every button - that's a lot of buttons.........

PotNoodles
04-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the replies, but I'm still not sure what the pinkie does. Does it act as a shift key and how does it do three different commands for one switch? I can see why the mode button acts as three commands, but i'm still confused about the pinkie.

5./JG27.Farber
04-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Yes its a shift key. You have to set it up in the softweare for the stick.

All the buttons times by the 3 dial times by 2 (pinkie shift) = lots of confusing buttons!

SEE
04-24-2012, 06:59 PM
The 'pinkie' is just another switch and can be used for anything you want - it is not dedicated to a 'shift' function as such. Any button can be used as a shift function using the SST software if you prefer.

JG26_EZ
04-24-2012, 07:00 PM
If I may add ...You can use almost any button in a two-button combination like mentioned above, and the pinky button can be mapped as a single button like any other. I just mentioned the pinky button because it is easily accessable for "doubling up your buttons".

S~

*Edit* lol "SEE" just beat me to it :/

zahnartz62
04-29-2012, 06:37 PM
I asked in another thread if SST modes are recognized by CoD. I assumed they are not so use Mode 1 as above and then keyboard. I would rather use all 3 modes..many thanks for advice and any tips you may offer.

FS~Phat
04-30-2012, 12:25 AM
Cod uses 3 modes just fine. You would normally configure different keys for each mode. I use mode 1 for ground ops/landing/takeoff, mode 2 for combat and mode 3 for bombing. Some keys are common across all 3 modes.

zahnartz62
04-30-2012, 01:13 AM
tHANKS fs...So..I can use SST 3 mode profile and leave the ingame settings as they are including the range of motion for flaps, rudder etc? Things are looking up!!

FS~Phat
04-30-2012, 05:19 AM
yes you just need to program all the keys that are set in COD into the SST software for each mode that you want the keys to work in.

pedalracer
07-09-2012, 11:47 AM
1st:
bind all keys you want to use/understand at any given moment in the settings dialogue of the game (Il2 Clod)

2nd:
print out those bindings (maybe you can do that ingame from the settings dialogue, if not you could open your settings file that is created when you save your settings with a notepad...copy / paste & sort ---print)

3rd:
bind those keys you want to have on your joystick in the given tool (here SST from Saitek).

4th:
Skip this for the axes. I think it is enough to set up the axes and there settings in the game settings. You do not have to repeat this in SST since it may interfere with your PC's desktop and so on when the game is not running but the joystick is plugged. This is so, since then SST will run with an activated profile and interpret the position of your axes and this 'MAY' the result in a continuesly input of 'keys'/signals... 'I' would even skip binding the fire buttons in SST.

burma243
07-13-2012, 12:38 PM
thanks