PDA

View Full Version : Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3 Tutorial Movie, by me

Freycinet
03-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Hi all,

I put up a new movie, a Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3 Tutorial this time.

Find the movie on my web site: www.flightsimvids.com (http://www.flightsimvids.com)
http://www.flightsimvids.com/Messerschmitt.Bf.109E-3.Tutorial.500px.jpg (http://www.flightsimvids.com)

There is a LOT more work to making a tutorial video than to my usual vids for pure amusement, so I hope you will appreciate the effort! (Even if perhaps not the result...)

If you haven't enjoyed the superb fun that is flying with Complex Engine Management in Il-2 CoD maybe now is the time!

I decided to fly the Bf 109 from Abbeville, where the famous Jagdgeschwader 26 ("the Abbeville boys") was based.

The Bf 109 modelled in CoD really gives a tremendous feeling of raw power wrapped inside a beautiful, streamlined aeroplane. When you master it (I'm still not quite there) you will have a great feeling of the sky belonging to you, zooming around effortlessly at the flick of a wrist and the slight push of a lever. There is heft and inertia to the plane, and it can be quite daunting to take it up, but it DOES help that one's behind is not on the line, and that the hierarchy won't have that behind served on a platter if you muck up...

I can only imagine the excitement and fear that must have gripped young recruits back then, 70-odd years ago, when they first walked out to a parked Messerschmitt before taking her up. Actually, I can imagine it much better now that I have flown it in CoD.

Big thanks go to 2GvSAP_Flea, who helped me a lot with the video, and whose super-impressive "Il-2 CoD Aircraft Operations Checklist" (http://http://www.flightsimvids.com/op2gvsapinst_3710.1b.pdf.zip) can be found on my web site as well. Also thanks to jf1981 and robtek of these forums, whose comments helped me a lot. I made my own quick guide and linked it at the web site too (http://www.flightsimvids.com/Il-2.Cliffs.of.Dover.Messerschmitt.Bf.109E-3.Quick.Guide.by.Soeren.Dalsgaard.txt), for those who want to just jump into the 109 and get her into the air. And maybe even land...

Pls comment if you think I should correct some things in the movie, or well, if you just feel like it...

Bewolf
03-31-2012, 03:29 PM
Some great work there, Frey, Really enjoyed watching you taking her around. The Spin approach was a nice touch. Next thing you may want to do is making tutorials not only for flying, but also fighting in her =)

Jughead Jones
03-31-2012, 03:49 PM
I was waiting for this! :grin: Please keep making these. With modern Sims and cockpits becoming so much more realistic over the years guides like these are a necessity to beginner and less then talented virtual pilots such as myself.

S! and thank you.

LcSummers
03-31-2012, 04:29 PM
As always buddy

nice job:-P

U505
03-31-2012, 04:42 PM
this is the video we were all waiting.Great job i had the impression to be a real pilot could we have the same video but fighting ? :-P:grin:

major_setback
03-31-2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks!
I really need tutorials. I overheat the engine or get a hole in the radiator every time I fly anything, even if I try to be as gentle as possible.

Atreides
03-31-2012, 08:27 PM
Good work. Definitely one of the better Il2 tutorials.

MadBlaster
03-31-2012, 11:01 PM
I enjoyed your video. Your flying has improved a lot from 6 or so months

ago.:cool: You say you wanted feedback. For what it's worth, my zen tips:

*When you are climbing out to 1000m and notice you are

"a little slow". Instinct should be to push the nose

down slightly to get your speed up. Adjust elev trim

accordingly.

*When your cruising, mp is little too high. You should

be able to cruise at 1.2 ATA and 400 kph. You were

running 1.3 or so most of the time, which isn't so bad

with the rads open. But you should be able to run rads

closed and 1.2.

*When you are zoom climbing in your loop, you went to

fine pitch little too soon. Hear the rpms spike? That

was a speed penalty you did to yourself. Instead, go to

fine pitch based on your airspeed, not simply because

your are climbing. Use 250 kph as rough guide for

transition from fine to course and course to fine.

*The rads, get in the habit of opening and closing. In

general, open when your going slow, close when your

going fast. Where "slow" is speed less than 250 kph.

*When you climb out, it doesn't have to be at the ideal

climb rate all the time. In combat, it might not be

ideal either. Trade static climb out for zoom/step

climbing.

*Get in the habit of constantly working the throttle, pp, trim, rads,

AoA, all relative to your energy(airspeed/elevation). At any moment, there

is an ideal configuration that you are optimizing to for more speed,

acceleration...etc. It isn't just "set it and forget it".

engadin
04-01-2012, 08:41 AM
I enjoyed your video. Your flying has improved a lot from 6 or so months

ago.:cool: You say you wanted feedback. For what it's worth, my zen tips:

*When .....

What a fine group of advices! They are very welcomed here as well. Thanks!.

Engadin.

Freycinet
04-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the tips MadBlaster! - They square very well with what I have heard from other Experten, especially that I should constantly adjust pitch (and other settings) to run at a smooth 2350 RPM.

The movie is a meant as an introduction for beginners. Seasoned flyers won't need to be told to open up the radiators before take-off :) - So, I just had to keep it a bit simple and easily understandable, with well-defined steps. It is basically for people to get interested in the magnificent simming experience of taking up a fighter in CoD with full CEM and get it down in one piece!

I know that max. continuous boost for the Daimler-Benz is 1.3 ATA, and unfortunately I was running a bit higher, at 1.35. Also, I realised during my flight that I was about to over-rev the engine in the beginning of the Immelmann. If you look carefully you will see that I stop decreasing the prop pitch when I realise that I am getting too high RPM.

An issue with these movies is that I do everything on the fly, with no editing of the movie afterwards. Pretty pre-historic! It means I can't really manipulate the controls while I am in outside view... I prefer to manipulate controls while in-cockpit, so the viewers can see what is going on.

I hope to become an Experte who will just constantly move the controls effortlessly in flight one day. That really is my goal. Too bad that real life doesn't give me enough time!