PDA

View Full Version : landing techniques

macphail
03-12-2012, 04:24 AM
my landings end up looking like this all the time.

http://mg-34.com/images/stories/photo/25.11.2011/chance%20vought%20f4u%20corsair.jpg

i come in slow, deploy flaps, touch down nicely, cut the engines, but the brakes seem to work a bit to well, so nose in the dirt, or i just keep rolling into woods, etc.

any tips for braking, or coming to a more gradual stop?

salmo
03-12-2012, 05:44 AM
1. Raise flaps after wheels touch down.
2. Touch brakes only momentarily, then release. Repeat several times. Brakes effect is overmodeled, if you hold brake down you will nose-stand.
3. A bit of side rudder while braking might help, slide left then right while braking, repeat as necessary.
4. No need to cut engine perse, just throttle to zero.

drewpee
03-12-2012, 07:48 AM
After touch down I keep flaps deployed as it helps with drag and slows down the ac. Also once your speed drops below take off speed slowly pull back on the stick all the way and keep it there, this will put downward pressure on the tail wheel. On the British AC brakes are either on or off so just tap at the brake. On the 109 the brake can be slowly pressed to increase pressure if you map them to a rudder pedal.

NLS61
03-12-2012, 08:20 AM
First of all where did you find the carrier?

But a good landing starts with a goed aproach wich itself comes from flying a landing pattern.
So start at a thousand feed opposite heading at least the distance of the lenght of the runay to the side of it.
Make speed 140 MPH lower flaps and gear now trim the aircraft.
Fly untill your choosen touchdown point is 45 degrees behinded you. comence a 90 degree turn in the direction of the airfield.
Take note how much distance this turn took before 90 degrees to the hartline of the runway was reached.
On this leg (baseleg) start decending with 100ft pm. So trim the aircraft
Speed maybe 100MPH not more.
To end up right in front of the run way you have to start the turn towards it same distance before crossing the hartline.
When lined up with the runway decelarate to 15 MPH above stall speed ( trim the aircraft) while you seaming landing point is just past the threshold.
When getting to treetop height throttle to idle and put the underside of the sight rectangle on the horizon.
Let speed bleed of but keep the underside on the horizon.
Keep the aircraft flying just above the runway also if it doesnt want to do that and no more, and the plane will lands itself.
After touchdown move trim to tail heavy rol out until the plane is under 30 MPH then brake a bit.

Hope it helps.

Niels

TomcatViP
03-12-2012, 05:29 PM
WWII airplane didn't hve the brakes we can enjoy today.

Don't bring your plane down the runway at a higher speed than recommended by the manual, let it roll for much of the runway length. Apply brakes only when your speed is low.

That part of the sim is pretty well rendered for most of the planes.

NLS61 did say it all.