PDA

View Full Version : Engine Start??

badfinger
02-28-2012, 02:46 AM
I just tried starting the engine with CEM, as I always do, using F6 I. Nothing happened, and now I can't figure out why. I went to options/controls/aircraft/keys but don't see where to re-assign keys for engine start.

If I'm just having a senior moment, here, be kind and help me out. :???:

Thanks,

binky9

JG53Frankyboy
02-28-2012, 06:31 AM
general rules:
switch on fuelcock for each engine
set throttle to 10%

sometimes you have to ignite a second time.

badfinger
02-28-2012, 12:32 PM
general rules:
switch on fuelcock for each engine
set throttle to 10%

sometimes you have to ignite a second time.

I'm doing that. The problem is the engine won't turn over. It should at least do that, even with the fuel off. The prop doesn't move.

binky9

bw_wolverine
02-28-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm doing that. The problem is the engine won't turn over. It should at least do that, even with the fuel off. The prop doesn't move.

binky9

Maybe a key binding issue? Check the controls options to make sure that your keys didn't somehow get screwed up via some bug.
The keys for aircraft engines are in the 'aircraft' section of the key bindings. You need to switch to that from the general keys that are the first ones that pop up by default. Then it's a lot of scrolling until you find the appropriate ones. Ignition I believe is the one you want for I and Toggle Fuel Cock for the fuel bit.

badfinger
02-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Maybe a key binding issue? Check the controls options to make sure that your keys didn't somehow get screwed up via some bug.
The keys for aircraft engines are in the 'aircraft' section of the key bindings. You need to switch to that from the general keys that are the first ones that pop up by default. Then it's a lot of scrolling until you find the appropriate ones. Ignition I believe is the one you want for I and Toggle Fuel Cock for the fuel bit.

I just had a idea that I can't test until I get home, tonight. If I am using the clickable cockpit, which I just switched to, do I need to use the "Start" button on the panel, rather than a key setting?

binky9

aus3620
02-28-2012, 08:46 PM
No, the "ignition" button on the dashboard does not work. "I" is the default ignition. Try that. Have a look at this webpage (http://www.users.on.net/~jennnie/RAAF/homepage.htm), it may help you out.

badfinger
02-28-2012, 11:28 PM
No, the "ignition" button on the dashboard does not work. "I" is the default ignition. Try that. Have a look at this webpage (http://www.users.on.net/~jennnie/RAAF/homepage.htm), it may help you out.

I know "I" is the right key, but do I assign it to one of an "engine select" or "engine toggle", or something else. Nothing seems to work. This is the strangest thing I have seen so far. One minute "F6 I" was working just fine, and always had, the next I can't start the engine.

What I can't remember is what" F6 I" was assigned to in the options.:confused:

binky9

aus3620
02-29-2012, 12:34 AM
Hi Binky9,

Now I get it!! Like you I have just discovered that there is no Ignition to set from the menu selections! How odd is that!?

In my 1C SoftClub/il2 sturmovik cliffs of dover directory are all the various control files I have setup for each aircraft. For instance, myHurri. All these are text files so can be edited with Notepad.

I think they all are based on the confUser file.

Search for capital "I".
You should find the line - I=enginei01

If not, edit or insert as appropriate.

No expert on this sort of stuff but give it a go!

badfinger
02-29-2012, 12:55 AM
That doesn't appear to have worked. Although, my computing skills are worse than normal.

I found 4 confuser.ini files, and put 'I=enginei01" in each, but no joy.

binky9

aus3620
02-29-2012, 01:18 AM
hi binky7,

Four confUser files does not sound right! I'm only guessing so hopefully someone else here with more knowledge will chime in.

In the confUser file is a section: [Hotkey pilot]

[HotKey pilot]
Joystick1+Key1=trigger1
Z=rudder_leftx
X=rudder_rightx
W=thtl_110
Joystick+Key15=airbrake
Control NumPad-9=site_alt_plus
V=landingflaps_d
Shift BackQuote=engselect_all
Control NumPad-8=site_dist_plus
T=thtl_psicutout
Control NumPad-7=site_spd_plus
Control NumPad-6=site_side_right
R=rad_auto
Control NumPad-5=site_auto
Control NumPad-4=site_side_left
Joystick2+Key0=trigger01
Control NumPad-3=site_alt_minus
Joystick+Key0=pitch_plus
Control NumPad-2=site_dist_minus
Control NumPad-1=site_spd_minus
I=enginei01
Joystick+Key14=trigger3
G=uc
Control Z=ruddert_left
F=landingflaps_u
Control X=ruddert_right
Control W=abwurf_arm
B=wheelbrakex
Control T=thtl_slowcutout
Equals=thtl_plus
9=extinguisher
6=rad_plus
5=rad_minus
Control G=uc_down_emer
Shift 8=engselect_n7
Joystick+Key12 Joystick+Key18=autorudder_off
Shift 7=engselect_n6
Shift 6=engselect_n5
Control C=pilot_switch
Shift 5=engselect_n4
Control B=bombbaydoors
Shift 4=engselect_n3
Shift 3=engselect_n2
Shift 2=engselect_n1
Shift 1=engselect_n0
Down=elevator_downx
Right=aileron_rightx
Up=elevator_upx
Left=aileron_leftx
Control 7=rudder_leftx
Joystick+Key12 Joystick+Key17=autorudder_low
Shift Down=elevatort_ndown
Shift Right=aileront_right
Space=trigger0
Shift Up=elevatort_nup
Shift Left=aileront_left
Joystick+Key12 Joystick+Key16=autorudder_high
Joystick1+Key3=trigger2
Joystick+Key3=pitch_auto
MouseLeft=MouseControl
Underscore=thtl_minus
Backspace=thtl_wep
Joystick+Key2=pitch_minus

unquote

Looks like some are default and some I've set (joystick commands).

Edit one of the confUser files and check what the [Hotkey Pilot] section looks like. Rename the others, suffix a number or whatever (confUserold1, ...), so you only have one confUser file.

All I can suggest at the moment, other than a re-install!

Good Luck!

Al Capwn
02-29-2012, 02:21 AM
I've run into an issue where some of my key bindings stopped working and once I reset the controls to default and re-assigned what I wanted I haven't had any issues since.

If you setup custom key bindings you may want to save your current config from the in game menu to somewhere safe (or you can always just copy the files manually from your documents folder), and then reset the controls to default and see if you can get your plane started then.

badfinger
02-29-2012, 12:33 PM
AUS,

Thanks,

I'll give it another try tonight.

Reinstall? Shudder:)

binky9

Al Capwn
02-29-2012, 08:13 PM
AUS,

Thanks,

I'll give it another try tonight.

Reinstall? Shudder:)

binky9

There would be no reason to reinstall. At worst you would just need to delete your 1C Softclub folder or do a steam verify.

badfinger
02-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Al,

I'll give that a try tonight.

Thanks,

binky9

Al Capwn
02-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Al,

I'll give that a try tonight.

Thanks,

binky9

Make sure to create proper backups! Unless there's nothing you need in there of course :)

aus3620
02-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Also see the thread "il2 Cliffs of Dover No Start" in the Performance Threads.

badfinger
03-01-2012, 01:48 AM
That thread is about starting the game I'm trying to start the plane's engine at the beginning of a mission.

I have tried options/controls/aircraft/select engine and toggle engine with no success.

The manual offers no insight into what select and toggle are even for. Should I be :eek: though?

binky9

badfinger
03-01-2012, 01:49 AM
There would be no reason to reinstall. At worst you would just need to delete your 1C Softclub folder or do a steam verify.

How do I do a Steam Verify?

Sorry,

binky9

Al Capwn
03-01-2012, 01:58 AM
How do I do a Steam Verify?

Sorry,

binky9

No need to apologize, just right click on your game in the library view -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

Also, it just occurred to me. Have you read the proper start procedure for your plane since enabling CEM? Make sure you turned on both magnetos and put your fuel cock to primary.

badfinger
03-01-2012, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the headsup.

I have been using CEM for some time, now, and just the other night started having this problem.

binky9

Al Capwn
03-01-2012, 03:55 AM
Thanks for the headsup.

I have been using CEM for some time, now, and just the other night started having this problem.

binky9

Oh, OK. Well in that case, I definitely would look in your Documents folder -> 1C SoftClub -> il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover and in there you can clear your cache folder.

The next step I would take is then to rename your confUser.ini to confUser.old (if you can't see extensions, on any explorer window -> Organize -> Folder and search options -> View -> uncheck Hide extensions for known file types) and when you launch the game it will rebuild a fresh one.

It will take a little longer on the first load up, it's just rebuilding the cache.

I hope something in there solves your issue, those planes aren't going to shoot themselves down!

badfinger
03-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Oh, OK. Well in that case, I definitely would look in your Documents folder -> 1C SoftClub -> il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover and in there you can clear your cache folder.

The next step I would take is then to rename your confUser.ini to confUser.old (if you can't see extensions, on any explorer window -> Organize -> Folder and search options -> View -> uncheck Hide extensions for known file types) and when you launch the game it will rebuild a fresh one.

It will take a little longer on the first load up, it's just rebuilding the cache.

I hope something in there solves your issue, those planes aren't going to shoot themselves down!

I have tried just about everything I can think of, plus all of the suggestions. Nothing has solved the problem. I still can't believe I could go from everything working just fine, to not being able to start the engine, just by finishing one mission, and starting another.

Should I re-install, and how do you do that? Will I lose all of my missions, skins, settings, etc?

Thanks,

binky9

Al Capwn
03-02-2012, 10:06 PM
I have tried just about everything I can think of, plus all of the suggestions. Nothing has solved the problem. I still can't believe I could go from everything working just fine, to not being able to start the engine, just by finishing one mission, and starting another.

Should I re-install, and how do you do that? Will I lose all of my missions, skins, settings, etc?

Thanks,

binky9

Hmm... Well if you did a steam verify, I don't see a re-install solving anything. Not that it would hurt to try, but try just one more thing first.

Backup your entire 1C SoftClub folder inside of your Documents folder, and then just delete the whole folder (or you can just cut that folder and paste it somewhere safe). You won't have any of your custom missions but we're just trying to test for now. On game start up you'll have to redo your graphics settings, but leave controls at default for now; 'I' is start engine default. You'll also have to probably re-enable all the realism settings such as CEM. Then choose a mission you can take off from, I usually choose 'Cross-Country' under 'Quick Missions' and just choose any plane you want.

See if you can get that engine turning over!

Also, to remove games on steam, just right click on the game in your Library view -> Delete Local Content

badfinger
03-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Al,

Thanks for coming back. I was afraid I was suddenly on my own.

I followed your instructions, without any success, I'm afraid. I saved a copy of the 1C Softclub file to my desktop, and deleted the original. When I started CoD, and checked the control settings, I saw that they had not gone back to the defaults. Joystick, throttle, gear, flaps, etc were the same as before. Since "I" still doesn't do anything, I'm suspicious. It looks like the new 1C softclub file is the same as before.

What do you think?

binky9

Al Capwn
03-03-2012, 05:03 AM
Al,

Thanks for coming back. I was afraid I was suddenly on my own.

I followed your instructions, without any success, I'm afraid. I saved a copy of the 1C Softclub file to my desktop, and deleted the original. When I started CoD, and checked the control settings, I saw that they had not gone back to the defaults. Joystick, throttle, gear, flaps, etc were the same as before. Since "I" still doesn't do anything, I'm suspicious. It looks like the new 1C softclub file is the same as before.

What do you think?

binky9

Don't worry, I'll help you get through this! But that is really strange. There are only two things that come to mind, is possibly the .ini files in your il-2 game directory have been modified (I'm pretty sure it creates the fresh .ini's from these) or it could possibly be the steam cloud is using old files.

Go into your 1C SoftClub folder and remove the 4 .ini files in there, then if you go to your il-2 game directory; default will most likely be 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover' and delete the 4 .ini files there.

After that, If you go to your steam library view and right click on il-2 -> properties -> Updates -> Uncheck 'Enable steam cloud' (just for now) then -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of game cache.

Hopefully that gets your settings back to default, and then we can go from there!

badfinger
03-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Al,

It looks like I am back to the default control settings. One thing, in the aircraft settings, there is now a toggle all engines option to which "I" is assigned. This is just above the the magneto options and separate from the toggle and select engine options further down the list. Hitting "I" starts the engine. So, progress.

I have been trying to recall the actual events prior to this problem showing up. One thing I remembered was that I had downloaded the latest Nvidia driver. I then chose one of the BoF missions (I think) flying a Hurricane, took off, and hit F2, to see from outside. Instead, I was suddenly looking at an ME-110 from behind and noticed having approx. 80-85 FPS!. This was one of the ME-110's I was supposed to intercept. As soon as I hit F1, I was back in the Hurricane with the normal 40-55 FPS. and F2 wouldn't take me back to the ME-110.

The next mission I flew is when the problem started. I don't remember which mission it was, though.

Maybe none of that is relevant, but that was when things fell apart.

It looks to me as if I can now re-set all of the aircraft options, and maybe be back in business. What do you think?

Thanks again,

binky9

Al Capwn
03-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Al,

It looks like I am back to the default control settings. One thing, in the aircraft settings, there is now a toggle all engines option to which "I" is assigned. This is just above the the magneto options and separate from the toggle and select engine options further down the list. Hitting "I" starts the engine. So, progress.

I have been trying to recall the actual events prior to this problem showing up. One thing I remembered was that I had downloaded the latest Nvidia driver. I then chose one of the BoF missions (I think) flying a Hurricane, took off, and hit F2, to see from outside. Instead, I was suddenly looking at an ME-110 from behind and noticed having approx. 80-85 FPS!. This was one of the ME-110's I was supposed to intercept. As soon as I hit F1, I was back in the Hurricane with the normal 40-55 FPS. and F2 wouldn't take me back to the ME-110.

The next mission I flew is when the problem started. I don't remember which mission it was, though.

Maybe none of that is relevant, but that was when things fell apart.

It looks to me as if I can now re-set all of the aircraft options, and maybe be back in business. What do you think?

Thanks again,

binky9

Awesome, I'm glad you finally got those engines turning over!

I remember that you can view enemy aircraft with some of the F# keys, as one day I did the same thing, hitting F4 I think and I was looking at the ME109 I was hunting down :).

So that sounds normal. I'm not sure about not being able to go back to viewing them, I know from doing other missions hitting the same key wouldn't let me view the enemy planes so it may have some situations where it doesn't allow you to see them. The FPS difference may have something with the way the current engine deals with AI driven vehicles and player driven, I don't think there's anything to worry about there.

I think you should be able to re-enable steam cloud, although it's not required of course. You can also put your original mission, missions, PaintSchemes, records and screenshots folders back into your 1C SoftClub folder (If it asks to overwrite the folder hit yes, but if it asks to overwrite over any files, hit no, as those files you have are just as new if not newer. I wouldn't copy over anything else from the original folder).

I'm glad to have been of help, Let me know if you're still having any issues!

Edit: Also, once you get all your custom controls setup the way you would like, I would hit "Save controls" on the bottom right and save that .ini somewhere you'll remember; keeping it in the 1C SoftClub folder is fine as long as you remember not to delete it by accident :). That way if anything ever happens you can always just instantly get your controls back the way you like them. I've actually had my controls reset on me for no reason and since then I always have a spare .ini ready.

badfinger
03-05-2012, 01:14 PM
I just to publicly thank Al Capwn for helping me solve the problem I was having with engine starting.

This is the kind of support everyone should have, and it shows just how valuable these flight sim forums can be.

binky9

aus3620
03-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Hi Binky9,

Glad to hear you repaired your installation. Just in case anyone else has a similar problem. Could you confirm it was deleting the ini files in the 1C Soft Club directory and the ini files in the Steam directory that did the trick?

badfinger
03-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Yes, that is what solved my problem.

I left you off the "Thank you's". So, belated it may, but thanks for making some suggested fixes.

Binky9

Al Capwn
03-06-2012, 07:28 PM
You're very welcome, I'm glad we were able to solve your problem.

Hopefully I'll see you in the skies!