PDA

View Full Version : Deadly Ballet - [IL-2 CoD Movie Competition Entry)

Freycinet
02-10-2012, 11:21 PM
- Here is my entry for the Cliffs of Dover Movie Competition! (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=29389)

- I thought I might as well start it off, and let's face it: the technical production values of future entries can only get better than my pitiful no-editing-no-cutting-but-boatload-of-annotations-effort. So, at least it will look OK until the next entry comes along... :)

We're back in Il-2 Cliffs of Dover, back in the cockpit of the gorgeous Spitfire, and back in the air over Hawkinge Aerodrome!

I queued up with an unknown buddy on the ATAG server and well, the rest is my imagination and this movie came out of it...

The Channel map just looks splendid in the early morning light, and there are some pretty cool moments in the vid, I think. As when I fly through a hail storm of bullet casings from the other Spitfire. Low-level aerobatics over the sumptuous landscape also looks great, with the tress, shadows, bump mapping and rich textures. Not you daddy's Russian steppes... :)

http://www.flightsimvids.com/Deadly.Ballet.500px.jpg (http://www.flightsimvids.com)
Find it at www.flightsimvids.com (first of the "fun vids"). As always it looks its best at 1080p and in fullscreen.
(If the link acts up, just press "youtube" in the lower right corner of the screen and you will go to the youtube page)

Hope you enjoy this video and pls post a comment if you feel like it: they are a big part of why I do my movies!

philip.ed
02-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Nice video mate!

But is this a submission for the competition or an advertisement for your website? I feel that this would be better off without the links to the latter plastered on the screen.

Freycinet
02-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Thanks for your concern... ;)

The submission is in its proper place. This thread is just about a vid I made and would like to show to people...

Ribbs67
02-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Very nice video! Good luck in the competition! S!

machoo
02-11-2012, 12:47 AM
I'd drop all the commentating stuff , it's like Mr Bean is flying. Could also be shorter.

Freycinet
02-11-2012, 12:55 AM
You can easily turn off the annotations in the lower right corner of the youtube video. Thanks for the compliment about sounding like Mr. Bean! ;)

I cannot do it much shorter with a take-off, dogfight and landing. Less than 11 minutes for that is pretty short, but I realise that patience may vary. You would die from boredom at my other flight videos where I don't start with a pre-warmed engine...

BTW, I am no editing wizard at all, so my movies are just direct gameplay captures... - But maybe I should look into trying to shorten them...

Al Capwn
02-11-2012, 02:13 AM
Another great video! Personally I've always enjoyed your annotations, keep up the great work!

nearmiss
02-11-2012, 03:47 AM
You need no time on the ground. If you start just as you are airborne, then hard push for altitude, then take on more than one enemy, maybe mix some stuka.

Join up with a wingman or several other spits. Following one dude around that is just avoiding you with no challenge is not exciting.

The .303 just don't cut it and you just fly around forever trying to get a kill. Get very close,don't spew a bunch of lead at long range even if you can get some hits. When another aircraft is flying with you, it is hard to avoid a kill steal of course, so I understand you wanting to shoot so often.

Weather changes might perk things up a bit as well. I always prefer to not shift into zoom, because it seems too gamer and not for real. I would use only normal of - view, and I wouldn't mix during the engagements.

Also, you might play around with some outside views during transitions and join ups.

I like mate ups, but I really want an altitude and e advantage. I'd never stop at 3,000. I'd go for 4,000 meters at least.

Just my thoughts of course.

The video starts like a tutor, which has it's place. I just don't think that is a best way to win a competition about competition.

Good luck to you

Friedric
02-11-2012, 06:09 AM
Wow nice vid man :-)

Wat profile of track ir are you using ? i like its smooth

Freycinet
02-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Just the default one actually...

Iamsnip
02-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Heh nice vid, I like your vids and the annotation, makes me smile - nice to have a little humour in there :)

Freycinet
02-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Good to hear... - This war would be very tragic without some humour! :P