PDA

View Full Version : Trim !!! Argh!!

Foot_Soldier
02-10-2012, 08:39 AM
I cannot fly the Spitfire level and straight for the life of me. What is the correct way to use trim, using the keyboard as input ? Do you tap the keys ? or do you hold the key down longer than a tap ? I am using a low budget Joystick, a saitek cyborg X. Calibration shows no spiking. I us to own a CH setup, Fighterstick, Throttle and pedals, however I sold them. I found I could fly better in the old IL2 series with this setup, but I don't like dropping another $500. My question is, is it possible to fly this sim using the keyboard for trim ? and with a Cyborg X ?
Any info would be appreciated.

Talisman
02-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Hi Foot Soldier,

My joystick is a Saitek evo force FF. I use my PC keyboard up/down arrow keys for nose up/down trim and the adjacent left/right keys for rudder yaw trim. I tap the keys, but I suspect holding them down would work too. I particularly like the Spitfire nose trim up/down indicator instrument on lower left hand side of the instrument panel. It is very useful; I wish the Hurricane had one too as I fly old Humpy more than the Spit. I count the taps in my head for nose up/down trim as I find it helps me get used to how much trim to use. I also feel the effect on the ac and check the associated instruments to try and get it all settled. Good luck.

Happy landings,

Talisman

bolox
02-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Hurri has a trim indicator too;)-

look down on lhs behind trim wheel (zoom in might help at first) . there's a metal 'bracket with graduated markings on it

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff27/bolox00/cod/hurritrim.jpg

the centre piece in this bracket slides left for 'up' trim and right for 'down' trim

MOG_Hammer
02-11-2012, 01:42 AM
I cannot fly the Spitfire level and straight for the life of me. What is the correct way to use trim, using the keyboard as input ? Do you tap the keys ? or do you hold the key down longer than a tap ? I am using a low budget Joystick, a saitek cyborg X. Calibration shows no spiking. I us to own a CH setup, Fighterstick, Throttle and pedals, however I sold them. I found I could fly better in the old IL2 series with this setup, but I don't like dropping another $500. My question is, is it possible to fly this sim using the keyboard for trim ? and with a Cyborg X ?
Any info would be appreciated.

One of the best way to configure trims for every control surface is to use the numpad. First, go into snap views and delete all the numpad controls in there ( use your hat switch to configure them). Then use for example numpad 2 for nose up trim, numpad 8 for nose down, numpad 4 for aileron trim left, numpad 6 for right, numpad 1 and 3 for rudder trim left and right respectivelly. You might see the picture, it uses a configuration that represents the position of the control surfaces of your plane. To go further, I also use numpad 7 and 9 for decrease/increase mix, - and = (right of the top numbered keys) for decrease/increase prop pitch, etc.... Get me a joystick with twin throttles, one will go for prop pitch.

Now, the best way to trim any aircraft is to fly at cruise alt and speed first. Adjust rudder trim first, one click at a time until you feel the aircraft is mostly flying straight without too much input on the rudder control. Then adjust your elevator trim the same way, until you fly straight and level without too much input on the elevator control. Aileron trim is rarelly used, but if you feel that rudder trim doesn't impede the aircraft to bank on one side, try adjusting aileron trim accordingly. Use your different instruments to get the best info on your aircraft atitude (pitch, roll, yaw). There is a level indicator that you should try to keep at the 0 position. There is also a turning indicator which also gives good info on skidding situation. Keep the ball in the middle, and wings level, by trimming the aircraft.

If there is a change in altitidue, speed, or any other flight situation, you will have to retrim the aircraft to match the new settings. Notice how the aircraft react when applying some throttle pressure. It will try to bank on one side. It will also turn on that same side a bit. The same happens when you release the pressure on the throttle. If you apply flaps, you'll have to retrim elevators to fly at level.

Even with the best trimming, know that IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover, like its predecessors, is very, very realistic when speaking about flight models. So it means you will always need to fly the aircraft, even a little if only to make small course corrections.

But trimming is very important when flying. Some people would argue that they do not need to use it. But to be the best pilot, and get the most of any aircraft in the game, trimming is very necessary. It could be a matter of life and death.

Foot_Soldier
02-11-2012, 02:18 AM
Thank you for the thoughtfull replies. MOG_Hammer, I will practice your method you described.