PDA

View Full Version : What do all these controls mean/do in cockpit?

thetonester
01-26-2012, 01:35 AM
Ok...have programmed my peripherals so im not using the keyboard in flight...not sure what some stuff means and when its used...this is all
for the hurricane so if you can tell me whether it is used or not in that aircraf and how its used i would appreciate it

1. WEP button...i know what it was in IL2...is it used in the hurricane and is it just for extra boost for short time when needed?
2. Throttle WEP...how does this differ to the other WEP and is it in Hurri?
3. Boost cut out...i know this is in cockpit coz the little red button comes out, twists and locks...but how does it differ to WEP?
4. Slow boost cut out...i know this there too but whens it used?
5. Anemometer adjustment...used in hurri and why/when?...i know an anemometer is used for giving airspeed but when is it adjusted and why?
pre flight like the gyro and course setter?

Also...i know how and why you adjust the gyro and course setter...but do you have to adjust the altimeter and if so, is this done pre flight?
i did see somethng in the control sectin about changing amp/voltmeter or sum such...what does it mean and is it used in the hurri?

Thanks guys....tonester

kestrel79
01-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Great questions I was going to ask something similar. Yeah WEP seems much more complex than IL2. Boost cutout looks like it "unlocks" the throttle so it can go a little more past 100%...

WEP may be a control that isn't used in any planes currently. There are a lot of keys that don't work yet. Lock Tailwheel comes to mind. I have it mapped on my keyboard yet it never works?

ATAG_MajorBorris
01-27-2012, 06:13 PM
We have posted answers on the ATAG forum:grin:

Blackdog_kt
01-28-2012, 07:10 PM
The reason we have so many controls is that different aircraft have different ways of doing things: what works in a Hurricane might not exist in a 109 and vice versa.

The way to get to grips with it all is to spend some time in the stock free flight missions with each aircraft (preferably starting on the ground) and look around the cockpit.

Use the mouse to hover over the controls and see what each one is and what exists in your aircraft, so that you have a mental list of things you might want to map to your peripherals.

I use keyboard and stick for the flight critical controls and some secondary ones (like setting the compasses or doing bombsight adjustments) and use the mouse for tertiary controls that are only used once-twice per mission (eg, the fuel selector valves or the floor window on the Stuka, i manipulate these with the mouse).

This makes it easy to have a few keybindings that i can remember, while using the mouse only for non-critical controls so that i won't need to be clicking things during combat.

In short, think in terms of individual aircraft cockpits and not in the old way of "pressing button X will do this in every aircraft" and you'll do fine ;)