PDA

View Full Version : Friday update :-) My new website: www.flightsimvids.com (and new CoD video by me..)

Freycinet
01-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Hi all,

Here's a new one of the little videos I make for fun in CoD: hope you like it. (Click image for going to my web site, where it is the first video in the list)

http://www.flightsimvids.com/Bombing.Hawkinge,1st.try.500px.jpg (http://www.flightsimvids.com)

I'm back in my trusty Bf-110 with a not quite so trustworthy rear gunner...

- I have been quite unhappy with the changes made to youtube, so I did my own web site for my videos. I hope you will like it: www.flightsimvids.com - You can still make comments via youtube on my videoes, but at least now they are presented a bit better.

Ataros
01-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Congrats with the new site! Good job!

bw_wolverine
01-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Good luck to your website.

Friday Update joke kinda not funny though.

philip.ed
01-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Can I request that you make it so that the videos aren't instantly full screen? I'm not always on a PC capable of loading a video quickly in quality good enough to warrant full screen.

Congrats on the site, but IMHO it's rather pointless. I find Youtube easier to manage for your videos.

Nice video though!

jf1981
01-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Very nice !

Ribbs67
01-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Good Job on the New site! Got it bookmarked S!

I loved the new video btw.. wasn't expecting that....lol

352ndRibbs

Freycinet
01-20-2012, 05:58 PM
...And my thread is banished to the video forum... That was fast. Oh well, no more people will see it now. This video forum really kills any response to a thread.

DUI
01-20-2012, 08:52 PM
A very entertaining video with a nice sense of humor! :grin:

SG1_Lud
01-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Very good video and enjoyed the good humour too. :D

DoolittleRaider
01-23-2012, 07:42 PM
[From original 22 Jan post, now removed]...I note that your 20 Jan post at UBI COD Forum has received 98 views and 1 reply. On the other hand , the same post "banished' (your term) here to the MM&V subforum has received 8 replies, with 387 views. ...
DR

I note that today, your UBI Cliffs of Dover post with your latest Video now has 20 more views for a total of 118 views, with still just the one comment, while your post here at the 1C Cliffs of Dover "Movie-making and Videos" subforum now has had an additional 70+ views for a total of 464, though still just the same 8 replies (5 comments on your video, itself). Of course, you also received 2 comments on your Video in the Freycinet Sticky thread from probably several score views of that thread since 20 Jan.

That is not shabby for exposure of your post/video here at 1C.

By comparison, at the SimHQ COD forum: 374 views and 7 replies/comments. Of course, there is considerable overlap of membership between SimHQ COD and 1C COD forums.

I think the lack of extensive discussion and replies here and also at SimHQ, for that matter (and still only a single reply at UBI), is thus logically due not to a lack of visitations to the 1C COD Subforum itself, but rather in a lack of deep interest in this specific video by those who have viewed it. Ipso facto, your conclusion that "no more people will see it now. This [sub]video forum really kills any response to a thread" is flawed.

I would solicit your support in directing anyone you encounter with an interest in IL-2 Cliffs of Dover movie-making to visit this sub-forum. Thanks.

DoolittleRaider
01-23-2012, 07:59 PM
As for the "Bombing Hawkinge" video itself, it is of course another good video in your unique series. The cartoon-style text balloons are quite effective, and as others have said, humorous. They do add a "human" touch which is not easy to accomplish in any flightsim video or movie. Well done, again.

Freycinet
01-23-2012, 09:03 PM
I note that today, your UBI Cliffs of Dover post with your latest Video now has 20 more views for a total of 118 views, with still just the one comment, while your post here at the 1C Cliffs of Dover "Movie-making and Videos" subforum now has had an additional 70+ views for a total of 464, though still just the same 8 replies (5 comments on your video, itself). Of course, you also received 2 comments on your Video in the Freycinet Sticky thread from probably several score views of that thread since 20 Jan.

That is not shabby for exposure of your post/video here at 1C.

By comparison, at the SimHQ COD forum: 374 views and 7 replies/comments. Of course, there is considerable overlap of membership between SimHQ COD and 1C COD forums.

I think the lack of extensive discussion and replies here and also at SimHQ, for that matter (and still only a single reply at UBI), is thus logically due not to a lack of visitations to the 1C COD Subforum itself, but rather in a lack of deep interest in this specific video by those who have viewed it. Ipso facto, your conclusion that "no more people will see it now. This [sub]video forum really kills any response to a thread" is flawed.

I would solicit your support in directing anyone you encounter with an interest in IL-2 Cliffs of Dover movie-making to visit this sub-forum. Thanks.

I must admit that you certainly seem to be right about the comparative exposure between here and Ubi. I should stop moaning :-) . I would have preferred that vids could still get a little exposure in the general CoD forum at this site, but I accept that you have organised it the way you have.

It is a little bit of an unfortunate result of the organisation of the forums here in the CoD area of 1C that all the positive posts that really contribute something worthwhile (gameplay, mission builder, movies, etc, etc) are relegated to less-visited sub-forums, whereas all the general moaning and (frankly) spamming around the sim is to be found in the main forum.

At SimHQ they did it the other way round, so that the "moaning and speculations" forum, officially called the "Extended Discussions"-forum, is a SUB-forum of the major forum in which playing the sim itself is discussed. It is a difference that looks minor, but is actually of huge importance. The first place people arrive is a pretty positive forum, and all sorts of spam is instantly and rather effortlessly transferred to the subforum by the mods over there.

Maybe it would be an idea to have a similar "Extended discussions" subforum here too. Whenever a threads heads into moaning and whining territory it can just be moved over there. That way the rest of us who actually like to play the sim and discuss sim issues can be free to do it without being constantly spammed...

Just a thought and thank you for your mod work here!

DoolittleRaider
01-23-2012, 10:06 PM
... I would have preferred that vids could still get a little exposure in the general CoD forum at this site, but I accept that you have organised it the way you have.

I'm thinking that we could allow/encourage (or I could Post, myself) a thread/post in the Main Forum with a Link to the Post/thread in the MM&V sub-forum. I would LOCK the announcement post in the main thread immediately, so that discussions would take place in the thread here at the MM&V sub-forum. That way, the Main Forum folks would be alerted to any new Movie or Video, but off-topic discussions/diversions, which are more likely to occur in a Main forum thread, would be avoided.

Freycinet
01-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Oh wauw, that would be above and beyond the call of duty...

I'm gunning for something special in my next movie, so it should be worth it!

Ataros
01-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Freycinet, could you please share what graphics settings you use in game and in drivers? I do not see any square on the ground created by textures of different quality around aircraft.

You do not use any filters in video editor to change colours, etc. IIRC.

jimbop
01-25-2012, 12:43 PM
I do not see any square on the ground created by textures of different quality around aircraft.

Try changing your ground detail to high. Works for me.

Ataros
01-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Try changing your ground detail to high. Works for me.

Thanks, Flanker35M reports that he still sees the square over France on high settings. http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=29313&page=2
I wonder if this is an ATI drivers issue. Just want to compare as I am saving for a new video card and have to decide how much to save :)

DoolittleRaider
01-25-2012, 07:57 PM
I am happy that this Freycinet video has offered an opportunity to discuss the technical performance/quirks of COD, with regard to the "square" I would ask that the discussion now continue in the technical thread to which Ataros has already helpfully provided the link.

For background, I would like to keep threads in the Movie-making/Videos subforum focussed on the Movies/Videos themselves, such as Story, editing, cinematography, Impact, etc, with divergent issues/discussions of Flight modelling, damage modelling, technical COD 'engine' performance, graphics processing, need for patches, even historical debates on "Who did the Most to win the War", etc, etc etc, etc to be quickly referred or transferred to the relevant subforums/threads. Most folks specifically interested in such matters will be more likely to visit those other subforum threads, and may Never come to the Movies forum at all....so the discussions will be more comprehensive and beneficial there than here in the Movies thread.

I think this thread discussion is an excellent example of how that approach, moving to another sub-forum at an appropriate early point in time, can work for benefit of all.

I hope you agree.

Thanks.
DR