PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay Video: Spitfire Gun Cinecamera

ATAG_Snapper
01-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Hey folks! Just put the excellent Thrustmaster TARGET software to good use and used some of its "advanced programming" (all you C++ programmers are wincing! LOL) to enable my Warthog HOTAS to utilize FRAPS as a guncam:

http://vimeo.com/34734845

DUI
01-08-2012, 09:28 PM
A nice one!

Short, but intensive.

ATAG_Snapper
01-09-2012, 04:00 AM
Thanks, DUI.

Over the next week or two I intend to add more clips of different targets - different planes, land objects, etc. to spice it up a little. Maybe even change the angle of attack a little -- those Axis bombers get a little repetitive from behind after awhile; a few head ons would be cool! LOL

Freycinet
01-09-2012, 01:16 PM
I must sat it is impressive that you programmed your HOTAS to start Fraps every time you shoot! L33T programming 5KILL5! ;)

I myself would probably get rid of the chat window though, for the visuals... - But, hey if you fly with it then that's that. I remain blissfully unaware of what is going on in chats and teamspeak when I fly on your server... :)

ATAG_Snapper
01-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks, Frey. I can just see the C+ programmers in this forum wince when I say I am now doing "advanced programming" in the TARGET software. LOL

(Thrustmaster calls it "advanced" because you're now getting a joystick button to do TWO things, unlike the "basic" programming where each button only does ONE measly thing at a time......strictly for lowly noobs, I say. Of course, you're still mouse clicking on a joystick animation with buttons that light up when you click on 'em, then tap the desired keyboard key you wish assigned to that button. IMHO scripting is for kids; THIS is what REAL computer programming is all about! :) )

ATAG_Snapper
01-10-2012, 10:23 PM
I myself would probably get rid of the chat window though, for the visuals... - But, hey if you fly with it then that's that. I remain blissfully unaware of what is going on in chats and teamspeak when I fly on your server... :)

Got rid of the chat windows per your suggestion simply by scaling up (zooming in) which I agree looks much better......and added some more footage that I captured since. :)

http://vimeo.com/34734845

Freycinet
01-11-2012, 01:39 PM
teamkill! :-O ;-)

ATAG_Snapper
01-11-2012, 02:19 PM
teamkill! :-O ;-)

Roger that! :grin:

Did you see that Wellington I "helped" shoot down while blazing away at that 109? A classic "oops!". At least it was only AI -- would've felt much worse if it was a manned Blenheim. LOL

That shootdown of the 110 low over the terrain near Hawkinge was wild. I think it was Bisher piloting it, taking advantage of the hilly terrain with George Preddy and I in hot pursuit in our Spitfire Ia's. We were like beagles after a rabbit, continually losing sight, then reacquiring, our quarry as he zoomed down ravines and hugged the hillsides. Finally I got a slight deflection shot on him and he crashed into a residential area near Folkestone. Fun!

kestrel79
01-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Wow sim runs great on your system. Less shimmer too than when I play. Very cool idea that gun camera footage looks very convincing.

ATAG_Snapper
01-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks, Kestrel. When flying online I run at lower res than offline: 1280 x 800 online vs 1680 x 1050 or 1900 x 1200 (depending on which monitor I'm using). This gives me much smoother gameplay when there are a bunch of planes in the area. I also turn down (or off) a number of video features (trees are OFF, for example).

High resolution is prettier, especially with details turned on or turned up, but things can get a bit jerky with microstutters. I'm hoping the much-awaited patch with all the purported recoding will fix this -- it would make the movies look better!